wood barrels

MrSnailGrave

cheap barrels? free barrels?!!!! That would be nice, but I am afraid that usually just does not exist.

(if it does, please, please, whoever knows of such things, inform the group, I will be in line as fast as I can be)

But just a few questions:

What size were you looking for? I assume the big whiskey barrel size.

What do you consider "cheap" ??? Free I understand, but "cheap" can be various things to different people.

Usually half barrels (a barrel sawed in half through the middle at the bulge) can be had at most Garden and home centers. I have seen them at lumberyards, hardware stores, Walmart, and Nurserys.

Sometimes you can also find the Whole barrel at the above mentioned places, but I think you are looking at a cost of somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$60 for the whole barrel. (at least that is the price range I have seen in NY/NJ)

maybe closer to the places that use them they might be cheaper? But Cheap or Free barrels, I have not seen. Another place to look might be at some older Farm Auctions, I have also seen them at auction in Amish areas, when the barrel is no longer of use to them, they let someone who just wants it for decoration, pay them for it.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

""well cheap as in under like 50 bones but one cut if half long way not in the middle of it. o ya the big barrels""

Well if cheap is $50 you could buy one whole barrel and cut it in half yourself.

The only problem with cutting them in half the long way, top to bottom, is that you would also be cutting the hoops that hold the barrel together. Slice a barrel in half, top to bottom, it would fall into a pile of staves. You would have to drill and screw the hoops to the individual staves before you cut down the side, or take it apart and do some screwing from the inside to hold the barrel shape. If you want just the 'look' of a two barrel bar, I guess it could be done that way, I just hate seeing a barrel cut up that way, sort of like haveing only half a ship, might look good, but it will never float.

But in spite of what casketchris said, whole old whiskey barrels CAN be had for $50-$60, I saw a number of them outside a TrueValue Hardware store last weekend in Upstate NY and I think they were asking $57 @

I've seen second hand whiskey barrels for sale here in south texas. Not often, but on occasion. I believe they are jack daniels barrels and there's no distillery close so I imagine this isn't just local. About $50 to $60 dollars. I've seen them whole and also cut vertically with two internal braces at the level of the bands.

Ropework_Header.jpg

ahh, maybe I see the light at the end of the bakersfield well, if casketchris be speaking of the price of

a barrel of oil, (that nasty stuff, you can't drink it, and it don't smell so good neither) yeah, it would be nice to see a barrel below $50 again, odd how we think of things as cheap, that just a couple of years ago would have been thought of as highway robbery.

Fresno...Germs. Or why don't you hit up Digiorgio winery out off of Edison hwy. Or drive your lazy self over to Pasa Robles and pick up ten of these....

http://www.usedwinebarrels.com/fullbarrels.htm

Or you can drive over to Harmony right above Morro Bay on HWY1 and pick thru their pile in the back....and they're free! Or buy some ok used ones for $50.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Wal Mart Supercenters here in Florida have full barrels for $45. Might want to check your local supercenter if you have them. They're not always in stock but they're cheap enough.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com