How can I tell between Cotton and Linen?

Cpt. Alva

Just wondering if there's any particular way to tell.

I strongly suspect my britches are Linen, but not enough to put money on it.

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Best way is to get a swatch of linen to look at up close. It be hard to describe somthing like that over the 'net. Pictures would help, but I can't get good close ups to put up here. Try to find a good fabric store and see if they don't have a swatch to hand out to ya, or take the breeches along for comparison.

Bo

This isn't a definitive way of telling the difference....

But if you look really close at cotton fibres (the threads that make up the weave of the peice of cloth), they will usually be somewhat frizzy... I'm not talking all out shaggy, but a subtle almost barely perceptable frizz.

Linen will more often than not have very straight fibres, no frizz, but occassionally linen will have slubs (little almost nubbley bit in the fibres).

Michael_banner.jpg

Linen has a slightly soapy feel to it, and wrinkles differently....

Grab a fist full of it and scrunch it up.... cotton will wrinkle, but the wrinkles wont be quite as sharp as they are with linen. But unless you've played with the two, it is kinda hard to tell..... :blink:

In my experience, when you dry linen in the clothes dryer, it produces copious amounts of very fine, very soft lint.

"What?" you may say, "Why, so does cotton!"

Ah, but when you have a handful of lint from linen, the texture is so softer you can't help but notice. And seriously, you will wonder at the sheer volume of lint that comes of a linen garment. It'll blow your gourd, dude.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

the wrinkle test is the easiest in my experience.

You could also try the Drying Twist Test described in Identification of textile fibres"

Make a fiber thoroughly wet then remove excess water with a tissue. Grasp one end with the tweezers and hold the free end over the heat source (like a hot plate). Observe the movement of the fiber as it dries by pointing the free end directly towards you.

• clockwise

- linen, ramie and nettle

• anticlockwise

- hemp and most other fibers

• alternating clockwise and anticlockwise

- cotton

One tip is to glue a tiny piece of square paper to the end of the fiber to magnify the movement.

There is also the burn test, but linen & cotton burn very similarly. In my experience the one difference is that the fibers closest to the ash is very brittle in linen, not so much with cotton.

HTH. Have fun!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

What cottons and linens I have and have had... what I've seen is what Patrick said... Linen does wrinkle easily. But, as Will Red Wake stated to me, Linen is indeed more comfortable in the long run, especially in the warmer months.

Cotton can be finer and smaller threads (that's what I've seen most of the time) than linens. You can get the rare finer thread high count linen but that will cost you some pretty doubloons! And the two old linens I have are VERY old antiquish that belonged to my grandma and stepdad's mom.

My suggestion, hun... is to obtain swatches of the real thing of both cotton and linen.

The best way you will learn about fabrics... is to research, learn, look, etc. :ph34r: The more you know, the more powerful you are.

But, I even had a half linen half rayon shirt (not period) and it was still the most confortable shirt I ever had.

~Lady B

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!