My Pirate Ship model concept

Tartan Jack

I am not sure where to put this. I am hoping to be fairly historically accurate, but it really isn't, as it is not based on any one specific ship.

So, here is my (initial and basic) background for my model of a "pirate ship." The model has been discussed on the Pub before.

(Now: remember the model, itself, is a 1/96th scale USS Constitution that has converted into a 1/48 scale ship. The deck is modified by removal/not putting on model the top deck in front of the rear mast. Accordingly, it also is only using 1/2 the gun-ports on the model and the gun deck is open topped. So, it will only have 26 minions.)

The Thistle was originally laid down to be a privateer in Queen Anne's War, but was unfinished at the peace treaty. So, she was bought by an enterprising Scot in Glasgow (or I might make in Greenock) and outfitted as a private high-speed transport. Due to her, relatively, narrow beam, her owner planned to focus upon high-value cargo.

However, politics interveened and some back-dealing occurred. The Thistle was converted back into a privateer/warship to be used in the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion, to support the expected French Naval operations in support on Prince Charlie Stuart's bid for the throne. An ambitious and skilled sailor of the infamous sea rover MacNeil clan named John MacNeil, an ardent Jacobite, was hired as the captain. He assembled a crew, largely built from old friends and cronies, a mix of sailors and land warriors due to planned operations and boarding actions. As the failure of the uprising became more and more evident to the captain (John MacNeil) and crew, they turned to the open sea, fearing reprisal against them by George's government. After a few month of the unexpected change in operations, they become low on food and desperate, so they turned "pirate."

MacNeil gained the name "Tartan Jack," as he made use of the belted plaids (intended for Jacobites in Scotland) and his own highland clothing, adapting it to sea-use. On land, he was known for wearing belted plaids, or other materials worn as one.

Well, that is a roughed out version.

What do ya'll think.

How may I adapt it to increase historical accuracy?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I always wanted to make a wooden ship model.....

But ........ well.... a real... Pyrate ship..... or a fantacy.......

We have the Queen Ann'a Revenge or the Whydah.....

Or the fantacy ship of your dreams......

Sorry..... If I made a wooden ship model.... I'd go for the fantacy ship O' me dreams......

sure... it would be based off of a real ship.......but heck.... I'd have to mess/play with it.....

Guns..... lots of guns........ :ph34r:

Wages, do you have a picture / sketch of the Thistle to share?

Remember at that time in European shipbuilding, the jib sails were first coming into use and replacing the sprityard topmast square sail. Ships still retained the lower sprit square sail. The lateen rig on the mizzen was still in use...the gaff-rigged spanker came in around 1720.

Photo links to my QAR in progress...actually in "dry dock"

or rather "dusty dock" of my shop. Had to set her aside

while I do the ships-in-bottles Fall shows & museum demo's.

Model is based upon photos in Smithsonian Magazine & "The

Pirate Ship" by Angus Konstam...and talks with David Moore of the

NC Maritime Museum. When done she will go into the museum portion of Teach's Hole on Ocracoke. Model is 33" overall length.

1) Starboard side: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/DSCN0489.jpg

2) Deck view: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/DSCN0491.jpg

I am using Revell's PLASTIC 1/96 scale ship.

Right now, the hull halves are glued together. The decks are being arranged and rearranged to figure out what:

-Is most ACCURATE for the 1715 period

-LOOKS best with the re-scaling of the ship

-The structure of the model itself allows without drastic reconstruction of the kit parts.

Back SEVERAL years ago (probably a decade by now) when I bought the model with this idea in mind, I didn't know enough about tall ships to realize the changes between 1715 and 1815.

Now, I have a number of books on that topic. So I am looking at them (and asking A LOT of questions on this and Blackjohn/Foxe's forum) to learn what I need to do to make it plausible. In the end, it won't be 100% period accurate, but will look GREAT with my O-gauge train layout or on shelf/mantle display.

As for rigging, it is COMPLETELY up for grabs. I need to figure out what type of arrangement would be used for a 3 master (designed for speed) about 100 feet long in THAT period.

I WILL be reducing the number of sails per mast and haven't yet decided/figured out whether to use the stock plastic masts or to make some custom ones from wooded dowels.

After the hull is more "together," I promise to post picts.

Wages, do you have a picture / sketch of the Thistle to share?

Remember at that time in European shipbuilding, the jib sails were first coming into use and replacing the sprityard topmast square sail. Ships still retained the lower sprit square sail. The lateen rig on the mizzen was still in use...the gaff-rigged spanker came in around 1720.

Photo links to my QAR in progress...actually in "dry dock"

or rather "dusty dock" of my shop. Had to set her aside

while I do the ships-in-bottles Fall shows & museum demo's.

Model is based upon photos in Smithsonian Magazine & "The

Pirate Ship" by Angus Konstam...and talks with David Moore of the

NC Maritime Museum. When done she will go into the museum portion of Teach's Hole on Ocracoke. Model is 33" overall length.

1) Starboard side: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/DSCN0489.jpg

2) Deck view: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/DSCN0491.jpg

GREAT looking!

I look forward to seeing it in person when I FINALLY get to Beaufort, NC and see that museum.

Wages...for period rigging you can consult "The Pirate Ship" by Angus Konstam. Another good source is "Historic Ship Models". For your period 3 master, sails on the fore & main masts would be the course, topsail, and topgallant. The mizzen would have a lateen rig and a topsail. Two jib sails at the most & a square spritsail. You could have a lower staysail between the main & fore mast and an upper stay would be historically accurate. Speed was improved by hull design inovation...sharper bow, steeper deadrise. Even with all sails and laundry crowded on a 3-master of that time, they'd be lucky to get 8 knots. Studsl's and royal sails came much later. Sidewheel Clyde-built Blockade runners of the Confedercy would average 12-14 knots and still outrun the Union 3-masters .

My QAR model, when done, will only be in Beaufort a day or two before it heads out to Ocracoke Island. The NC Maritime Museum has a very nice one by the late Frank Gaskill. Photo links to it below.

Best regards & happy modeling

NCMM QAR #1) http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_2289.jpg

NCMM QAR #2) http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_2290.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had a USS Constitution model once when i was 11. It was quite large (about 2 and a half feet long)....it was one of those kits built by Revell or whatever. The 4th of july being a big deal in my town meant accessability to lots of fireworks so the poor thing got subjected to lots off attacks with firecrackers. Silly juvenile stuff I did. I still have rolls of miniature rope that came with it (rather thick olive-colored thread) which is impossible to break.

Now I am taking interest in stuff like this but I have to ask myself is the price really worth it? Model Kits Check out the mini cannons too!

SHIP2-1.jpg

I had a USS Constitution model once when i was 11. It was quite large (about 2 and a half feet long)....it was one of those kits built by Revell or whatever. The 4th of july being a big deal in my town meant accessability to lots of fireworks so the poor thing got subjected to lots off attacks with firecrackers. Silly juvenile stuff I did. I still have rolls of miniature rope that came with it (rather thick olive-colored thread) which is impossible to break.

Now I am taking interest in stuff like this but I have to ask myself is the price really worth it? Model Kits Check out the mini cannons too!

Probably the SAME kit.

I paid about $40-50 several years ago.

As I really don't have much interest in building the Constitution in THAT size, I will be converting it to 1/48 scale.

Amazingly, that SAME kit is sold on the linked site for $74.

I had a USS Constitution model once when i was 11.  It was quite large  (about 2 and a half feet long)....it was one of those kits built by Revell or whatever.    The 4th of july being a big deal in my town meant accessability to lots of fireworks so the poor thing got subjected to lots off attacks with firecrackers.  Silly juvenile stuff I did.  I still have rolls of miniature rope that came with it (rather thick olive-colored thread) which is impossible to break.

Now I am taking interest  in stuff like this but I have to ask myself is the price really worth it? Model Kits  Check out the mini cannons too!

Here is my model of the Connie......built it about 15 years ago...she is about 3 ft counting the bow sprit.............Cost about $50 back then.

ship07.JPG