Me garb! Finally finished!

Black Mab

I did a Post in Twill on how I made a 1706 Slops contract jacket

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6552

But it shows a fairly simple way to put in pockets..... unfortunatly, they are put in befor the body is sewn together........

Ah, now I have looked at your description and pictures and can see a way that I could easily add a "double-sided" pocket . . . instead of one long scrap of fabric for the inside, cut two slightly longer than you want the pocket to really be. Sew one panel as described to the outside of the waistcoat fronts, flip inside, secure, and sew together. With a bit of twisting, you could probably even make it so that the the seams would end up inside the pocket, but since they'll be inside the coat anyway, it doesn't really matter what they look like.

Not sure that explanation made sense, but I'll give it a shot and post my results. ;)

Also, found a package of 4 wool emergency blankets for $25 online - probably not the heaviest wool, but it should do for an impromptu cloak or even coat (4 X 60"x80" = more than enough yardage)

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

AAAARRRGGGHHH! STOP! Those "wool" emergency blankets are CRAP!!!

I have one right here that we gave to the dog for a bed in front of the hearth. I wish I could toss it to you to see how BAD it is. They "pill"up VERY bad and in no time at all. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! You cannot even sew these things, they won't hold together. I tried to make gun sleeves out of one and unless you put in a canvas liner they won't even make good sleeves. I hope it isn't too late. Not a good deal unless you want to make your dog happy!

Great job on the outfit lass! Almost forgot to compliment you on the effort you put in it. Try Sportsmans Guide on a google search and look up military surplus. They have alot of choices in REAL wool that aren't too much more expensive, and will make fine garment material.

Bo

Sportsman's Guide is where I got the emergency blankets. They're 85%, which is not horrible (although I believe you about the pilling, Cap'n Bo) but if they are complete crap I will send them back (whoohoo return policy) and go to my local surplus store where I can actually feel the material before purchasing.

Thanks for the warning.

Yeah, Sportsman's Guide had hands-down the best prices.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

If they ever GET here . . . I'm not impressed with Sportsman's Guide's shipping so far . . . I have not even gotten an email to say that my order is pending, or that it has left the warehouse, or anything . . .

:lol: *impatient*

If I don't see you first, I'll let you know how it works out (now Bo's got me all paranoid). I also have some navy blue (nearly black)wool suiting fabric that will never do for a coat (texture/weight is completely wrong) but it will make excellent lining!

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

The second SG link is to Italian Blankets. I have about 10 of those babies. I have had them for about 15-20 years now, and some are even dated back to WW1/2. (not from the Sportsman's Guide though)

Great blanket. I wouldn't have the heart to cut mine up...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Mab... sorry to make you paranoid, but the acrylic and other stuff in those Gov't. emergency blakets make them virtually useless for anything but an emergency situation. If I were in your place, I wouldn't even open the package when it arrives. really. I don't know what KIND of "wool" they are using, but it would make a sheep very angry to be classified in the same catagory as this stuff. :ph34r:

Greg is right about those Italian blankets. I have two of those. One for my fair weather trekking, and one for a Civil War/ Border wars horse blanket. After seeing mine, several of the other ACW horsemen bought them too. It would be hard to cut them up.

They used to have a huge white one from either Czeckoslovakia, or Yugoslavia. They were fairly priced and big enough to work with. Being white, you could dye it any color you wanted. Just a thought.

Bo

No worries about the paranoia, I'm trying to learn. Pointers are greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I'll probably end up sending the blankets back (or, since they were really cheap, just hanging on to them because one can never have too many cheap emergency blankets) :ph34r:

I did look at those big white blankets. They looked great. I've never dyed anything in my life (that includes hair) except easter eggs - anyone have any experience with that?

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

It's not quite as big as they say, and it has a narrow blue strip or two, but it is a warm and comfy blanket. I have a bunch I'm planning on dyeing and making into a coat. I can let you know how it goes.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum