Boatswain calls and Whistle

oderlesseye

I had been lookin for links for audio for Bosun call and found this.

Boatswain calls on audio

BoatswainWhistle2.jpg

Eye have been practicing with mine. However I wonder if one was even used during the period GAOP on Pirate Vessles. Which also begs another question.. Though alot of Pirates were X-English/French navies just how close to "Tradition" was adhered to concerning nauticle practices...Such as BostSwains calls?

Boatswain's Calls of the US Navy... What is "Piping the Side" Mean?

All Hands ,Belay,Heave Around,Mess Call,Pass the Word,Piping the Side,

Secure General Quarters ,and Sweepers .

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Short answer, yes. I can think of a couple of references to pirates using whistles.

Regarding whistles and other similar standard sea-faring practices it must be borne in mind that many such practices were done from expedient rather than ceremony, even if they have taken on a semi-ceremonial significance. Whistles, for example, were used because their shrill tones carry so much better over the wind than the human voice. I don't know of any pirates piping the captain aboard, but the correct transmission of the correct orders is vital on any vessel, be she pirate, merchant, navy or otherwise.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

To be honest, I don't think it really matters which calls you learn, for two reasons:

1# Boatswain's calls are only of a practical use if everyone else in the crew knows what they mean, and trying to get everyone to learn them is a fruitless task.

2# Although we have plenty of modern calls to choose from I don't know of any period records of how the calls went in the GAoP. I suspect they were essentially similar to those we use today, because it would make sense for them not to change dramatically if every sailor had to learn them over again, but I don't know that they're right.

I wear a whistle to show that I'm the boatswain, but I only blow on it if a member of the public asks, and then I explain that the noise I make is a modern call. It's a demonstration aid rather than a practical instrument from a reenactment point of view, if you see what I mean.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Funny, I didn't know I was being historical with this. :)

I use the whistle to call the crewe and direct them through signals they know and understand. I don't do the silly bosun's calls except when someone specifically asks (usually it's a bosun in the Navy who wants to see if I actually know how to use the thing).

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

That's actually the kind of situation I'm talking about... I'd hate to wear one (Something around my neck, just to get in the way or broken) and not be able to use it for a call or..... three?

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I've only broke mine once when I slept with it on. Wouldn't whistle worth a damn and had to get another one. Thankfully my mate sells them so I just took another out of stock.

-= Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What is "Piping the Side" Mean?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Piping the side was a call first used in the British Navy when two ships are sailing togther and one Captain would come over and visit the other the Captain would be hoisted on board in a net or basket if rough weather prevented the use of ladders. Piping was necessary in setting taut and hoisting away the cargo net or basket containing the boarding officer. Thus, we acquired the custom of piping the officer alongside and over the gangway. The officer of the deck ordinarily summoned from the crew several hands to assist the visitor in making the landing on deck. If he were young, a lieutenant perhaps, two men were required to help him; if older, a commander perchance, having increased his girth as well as his grade through the years, he might require four. If, however, he happened to be a captain or an admiral, he may have required six or eight to enable him to secure a stable footing. Thus, there came about the custom of having “side boys” to meet officers. When the custom became a regulation courtesy, the side was similarly attended upon their departure.

Nuff Said

From Johnson's History of the Pyrates-

"I cannot but take Notice of two among the Crowd, of those disfigured from the Blast of Powder just before-mentioned, viz. William Main and Roger Ball. An Officer of the Ship seeing a Silver Call hang at the Wast of the former, said to him, I presume you are Boatswain of this Ship. Then you presume wrong, answered he, for I am Boatswain of the Royal Fortune, Captain Roberts Commander."

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.