Cruisers in the Conch Republic

Island Cutter

As one who has had the doubious honor of "cruising" through the Caribbean; I have been able to occassionally stop in the Conch Republic (Key West to the rest of ye'), I have noticed that several Cruise Lines are trying to capitalize on the popularity of our Brotherhood (and Sisterhood).

Perhaps it's time that we claimed our share, so to speak... in plainer English... are we doing anything to attract the crowds that daily spill off the Cruise Ships and would otherwise miss an event such as ours?

I know that the ususal business associations would not be interested in loosing numbers to our event, but what about a differnet route? Could we find a spot in town where a few comley souls in their kit can pass out handbills? I also have a few other ideas of how to get the "green tide" to find it's way to our shores.

Any thoughts?

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

It's been tried and has failed for two years. The reason is simple. The time in port is less than 8 hours. People aboard ship book tours on the Conch Train, head off to Mel Fisher's, Margaritaville, Pyrate Soul and if they're ambitious, head to the beach to sail or visit Hemingways, Captain Tony's and then head back.

We posted pirates on the docks during 2004 and 2006. Not a single person showed at the event. They loved the pirates, took pictures with them, but their itinerary was already set. That and the fact that the fort is some distance from the docks, which requires a cab ride.

The Conch Train folks and the trolley company has made it clear that they won't run people out to the fort from town. Two years ago they wouldn't even rent us a trolley and driver on our dime.

So, distance and time are the biggest problems followed by the fact that the cruise ship and the destinations make money by booking tours on the ship before the touristas reach port.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

It's been tried and has faile for two years. The reason is simple. The time in port is less than 8 hours. People aboard ship book tours on the Conch Train, head off to Mel Fisher's, Margaritaville, Pyrate Soul and if they're ambitious, head to the beach to sail or visit Hemingways, Captain Tony's and then head back.

....don't forget Sloppy Joes :huh:

My opinion is that, because of geography, it's pretty hard to make Ft Zach an attraction. It's not like witnessing battles at Gettysburg, which I've seen and love. I don't even think most folks would even appreciate the 1720 Careening camp like the way we do. Maybe that's good, it gives us pyrates a chance to remove ourselves from modern world into a Caribbean habitat.

I think more emphasis must be on the , or a parade, and street performers....basically we bring the attraction to the tourists, not the other way around. We all know Mallory Square has more than enough room (geez, sometime the chickens on the street outnumber tourists). We all know what's become of that situation.

But, at any rate, we sure could use a good friend in the Mayor's office.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Public interest in historic events is down all over the country in all venues from what I gather. It is sad, but true. One of the reasons I am going through the motions to become an educator is to try and reach a few kids along the way. Apathy and ignorance is taking it's toll on our society in many ways, so it is up to us dedicated few to keep it alive the best we can.

Bo

Yes, I forgot Sloppy Joes. And my favorite, Turtle Kraals. Will be there betting on the turtles again this year.

If pirates want to do a parade through town, they need a permit. Someone would need to get working on that now. Last year, we had to do the Mary Read and Anne Bonny drag through town on the sly because there was no permit for it, so much of it had to be on the sidewalks so we didn't run afoul of the local constables.

Unfortunately, the town is pretty apathetic about the festival. For instance, Pyrate Soul (a natural sponsor) will have nothing to do with PiP. There are a million reasons for all this - a lot of it is inner power struggles of the locals... some of it is just festival burnout since there are other larger events that bring dollars to the merchants, such as Parrotheads in Paradise, the Hemingway Festival, Conch Republic Days and of course, Fantasy Fest where even a daily parking spot goes for $30 instead of the usual $5 or $6.

For those old timers, the festival used to be held over at the wharf. It had more attendance because you got the tourist traffic. But it wasn't a very piratey venue. And the vendors had to be spread out, which defeated the synergy of the thieves market where people could shop in a single place rather than having to find everyone by accident.

Several years ago we published full color schedules that were newspaper sized. Thousands were distributed, but it didn't help boost attendance there.

Don't get me wrong. I applaud all the efforts and ideas. I just don't want anyone to try to reinvent wheels that have already been tried over the years with no luck.

Just the way it goes...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I used to live on Cayo Hueso, so my perspective is skewed... Having "been there and done that" I always look for something different to do when I get "home" and an historical pirate festival would have huge appeal... to me.

So then, it is an event primarily for re-enactors and some of those few interested from the General Public. That is Fine by me. I asked primarily to get a sense of who's coming and how do they find out about it. I plan to be a Merchant Vendor, and getting a sense of the demographics of the attendants will help me decide what to make and what to bring. I will focus a bit more on things for the fellow re-enactor, and still keep some stock for the general public. Kids love toys, and I've got some hand-made, wooden pirate toys.

We did very well with the re-enactors, better with casual pirates and great with the kids last year and in 2004. If you plan to make money as a merchant, I would recommend you sell in the fort as part of the thieve's market as opposed to selling in one of the encampments outside the fort. Those who pay to get into the event will do so at the fort entrance and will naturally head into the fort first and spend their coin before heading out to the other encampments out and about.

You have great stuff - look forward to shopping in your shoppe.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I for one will be one vendor who opts for the trees around the careening camp as opposed to the wide open parade ground of the fort.....broiling under the direct sun with no shade during the day other than being under the fort's casements is not for me ...besides this is a thieves market not a formal street market organized within the community of the authorities!!! those who have attended in the past can tell you the inside of the fort gets extremely hot during the heat of the day...i have spoken to Wiliam and to Harry about keeping my sutlery within the encampment area to add both flavour and atmosphere to both ...I will be in the encampment!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I personally think it's great that there will be sutlers in the encampment near the beach. My only observation is as a seller at the fort over the past years. Now that the event has been moved inside the fort (which I originally opposed) the vast number of visitors to the event go to the fort first. Our store did very well in the fort, in the casements. There was no problem with the heat or the fort.

Whatever works for the individual vendor. My only advice was for someone who is new to the event and wants to make a go of it at the fort based on our experiences.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

i have spoken to Wiliam and to Harry about keeping my sutlery within the encampment area to add both flavour and atmosphere to both ...I will be in the encampment!!!

I first read this post on my work (graphic design) computer and was impressed with the font that was chosen.... BlackAdder ITC.

I am just now re-reading this thread on another computer and I thought that you were shouting at me :ph34r:

To those of you who don't know what I mean, install the aforementioned font and view the Callenish post as it was intended :ph34r:

I think that it is a great idea to have Sutlers scattered about the grounds in addition to the "organized" Market Place within the Fort. Having choices is what it is all about after all.

I understand that there is some distance between the sights and, as William Red Wake has pointed out to me, it would do well for us all to promote each other. The Visitor to the Marketplace and be reminded to "...stop by the Pirate Camp down on the beach" and vise versa. If we all know and relate the general "storyline" of the event, it will go a long way to create an atmosphere.

But, it depends on what your are selling..... inside the Fort, is going to get more traffic...... in the Careening Camp you will get the people that will go out there..... It's your discision.... From what I can figure, Callinish has decided that he will get enough trafic to make it worth his effort..... maybe you should PM callinish and then make your discision about where you wanna sell from.....

Dang... I hope that made sence...... B)