What patterns are good/authentic?

For accuracy, Kass does a HECK of A LOT of research into getting it RIGHT for a period, inc. not just the general shape BUT THE CORRECT STITCHES for each part of the garment. She examines the REAL thing, to make sure it is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. It is NOT just an impression that looks similar to one in an illustration or portrait.

Not all of them can claim the above.

The OTHER pattern companies vary in accuracy, sometimes from REALLY good to comical when one looks at different patterns in the same line.

I can trust Kass' workmost of the time. Others, I am not sure.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

For accuracy, Kass does a HECK of A LOT of research into getting it RIGHT for a period, inc. not just the general shape BUT THE CORRECT STITCHES for each part of the garment. She examines the REAL thing, to make sure it is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. It is NOT just an impression that looks similar to one in an illustration or portrait.

Not all of them can claim the above.

The OTHER pattern companies vary in accuracy, sometimes from REALLY good to comical when one looks at different patterns in the same line.

I can trust Kass' workmost of the time. Others, I am not sure.

Thank you for your advice on this. I will check out all of them. Again thank ye.

Also, at the risk of deepening the scratch in the record...

The original poster asked for "authentic" patterns, and all of those that I can see on the other two sites listed are either too late for the GAoP, or not terribly authentic.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

http://www.costumes.org/history/leloir/jus...orpspattern.jpg - a 1705 justaucorps pattern from Leloir. In fact, doing a google image search for "justaucorps pattern" turns up a good number of "period" patterns [for justaucorps, and sleeved waistcoats].

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/1...8thpatterns.htm is where the above comes from, specifically, and they have a number taken from period texts. Their page at http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/LELOIR.HTM looks at the end of the 17th century, as well. [Mostly from Leloir, Maurice, Histoire du Costume, although Leloir did not write the book itself until the late 1800s, as an academic guide for historical costumes...]