History of Mercury

Island Cutter

I am rather new to all of this and I am trying to find out more on the background and history of the GROUP that recreates the 1720 Mercury Careening Camp.

Does this group only assemble and meet at PiP? Is it organized in a particular location, and are there other events where the same or similar is recreated?

My interest lies in becoming move involved with such a group. I wish to represent a Ship's Carpenter from this period and I might like to help with a display and demonstration at PiP. Since I am a professional wooden sign carver, I think it might be interesting to show the public a "repair" being made to the nameboard on the stern section. I would want to run my ideas by someone "officially" to make sure that I am one the right track and what I propose, would be acceptable.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Well...

Welcome aboard...

William RedWake is who you'll need to contact.

As for the group, the Mercury camp will be new this year at PIP, it's still just on paper, never been done as of yet. William is just a grand organizer and everyone else is just grand as well...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

That's all fine by me... I'd like to get in right at deck level. I do intend to be Merchanting at PiP, but I would also really like to do a bit of a demo at some scheduled times. I have a good collection of handtools whose patterns ocasionally even predate the period... some things never change.

So I am here by requesting to sign on as Ship's Carpenter (if my kit is up to snuff and the spot is not already filled.)

Basicaly, we only get together once a year at PiP, but then post about PiP and how to improve on our stuff the rest of the year.... were Geographicly scattered around the U.S.

(Check out the thread where we were working on the name of the ship..... it illustrates some of how we decide on things the rest of the year......)

The 1720 Careening Camp gave us a focus and specific time for setting up our camp. Two years ago, I wore my Buccaneer stuff, and we discussed having a common time for us all to work from... 1720 ties in with the Trial of Anne Bonny and Mary Read, that they already do at the Fort, it's close to the end of the GAoP, so we can discuss the other famous Pyrates that have gone befor us.....

We still haven't set a garb standard, but like true Pyrates, it's a Democratic process.... we may decide on one this year or not.... but everyone participating in the Careening Camp at PiP get thier say on what direction we want to go....

So far, the only rank or title we have is the Quartermaster (William) he acts as the go-between for the Careening Camp and the Fort....

I don't know if we want to have a buncha ranks or titles tho..... but that can be decided (or at least discussed) this year at PiP.....

I don't know if we want to have a buncha ranks or titles tho.....

I am in aggreement with you on the issue of Titles and such... I was looking more to portray an occupation than to claim a rank. I like to let the actions decide the status, so to speak. I will keep searching through the earlier posts and continue to learn all that I can.

Potrayal of a specific occupation doesn't bother me at all, and since it doesn't specifically imply any pecking order, it would not bother me if someone wanted to have a little 'background' to enact. You might call yourself 'A carpenter' rather than 'THE carpenter' of the Mercury. Let's get a sound off on this from everyone as the next few weeks pass.

I for one would love to see period tools at work.

My title of Quartermaster is a position of acclamation more than rank. Roughly translated...If I screw up, I get the boot.

Of course when I say 'boot', I really mean a straight-lasted buckle shoe.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg