Sailor's Short Jacket

pyrateleather

Jas Townsend is now offering this 1770's Sleeved Waistcoat

I know 1770's is post Golden age but I am wondering if this pattern is any different compared a GAoP Sailor's Short Jacket. It looks almost identical to me. Very reasonable at $125.00 and available in several colors of Linen, Wool, or Cotton Canvas.

Thoughts?

OK stop right there my friend!!!

.......Sir... Please put yer hands up....... and Step away from the revwar waist coat!!!!

With the utmost respect and with the very best intention to make this as humorous as possible with out offending anyone.......That is not the same and if you want something close and can't sew to save your life... Check out Kass's site, she has sailor's jackets for sale.... I also believe there are folks from the AA who might be starting to make kit items for sale on a limited basis.

Now Townsend does however sell a woolen short jacket, ($70.00 as opposed to $120.00) which is more toward what you want, if you can't have it made....

wj-155.jpg

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...&products_id=29

I was actually planning on one of these, then I got my gray short jack issued from the captain!!

MDandRATS1.jpg

hope this helps mate!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Thanks guys... to my untrained eye, the Revolutionary version seemed pretty close to Kass's, her's also seemed to have the v-hem but maybe that's just how it's buttoned... I think that's actually what I like about Kass's & the Revolutionary one compared Jas's Woolen Short Jacket & the Jarnagin is that fitted waist/flared look.

I'm going for this look but I also want period correctness:

blackbeard.gif

Ahoy Pyrateleather... I have one of Kass's coats, one of Townsends and a rev-war weskit from Smoke-n-Fire that is identical to Townsend's without the sleeves. I plan to be in Columbia tomorrow for the ren-Faire, and I will bring all three if you would like to view them up close like. Heck, I'll just bring them and look you up when I get there.

I am still a ways off from a complete kit for GAOP, but am getting closer. I have been doing F&I/colonial/Rev-War for around 12 years and I do "cheat" a bit with mis matched gear just to play.

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere right? See ya there... Bo

I'd be interested in your opinions about how those clothes compare. I have a sleeved waistcoat I made from a J.P. Ryan pattern, and I wonder how close it is to the sailor's jacket pattern. So if there are a lot of similarities between the rev-war and sailor's coat, I'd like to hear about them, please.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I can testify to the fact that the jacket on Kass's site does not have a V hem, it's just the way it's buttoned as you surmised.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I also recommend Barkertown Sutlers, where I got mine.

http://www.barkertownsutlers.com/

P7080304.jpg

It looks fitted, but thats just because of the belt over it, holding my bellybox.

Price was middling, $145, but in my opinion, well worth it. Listed as a sleeved waistcoat with metal buttons. You'll have to call for specifics...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Bloody Jack Madd; I'm not sure whose oppinion you want on the similarities, but there are few. Length, and the way the back is seamed is about the only similarities between the two specimens I own. As for the Towsend short jacket, there are none. It is definately a 1750's and later type pattern. The large buttons and few of them is one of the key giaways on that, but here I am getting outside my area of knowledge, so wiil leave the rest to those that know.

Bo

I will try to set up the camera later and get some comparison shots up here so folks can see what I mean to describe.

Thank you, Captain Bo, that's what I wanted to know.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Woah!!! DL what location is that pic of you from???

Very sharp building in the back!!!!

Rats

That Image is inside old Fort Niagara. The building is the French Castle.

Awesome reenactment site. My favourite at this time...

In years past we were allowed to stay in the castle, but insurance policies changed, so no more...

You can tour the castle and walls during the day...

https://oldfortniagara.org/

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Thanks everyone for your help and a big THANK YOU to Captain Bo who dragged all of his jackets out to show me at Columbia Ren Fest last weekend, it was good to see a comparison in person. Not sure which jacket I will go with yet or if I'll just pick up Kass's pattern and have one made.

You can find good patterns out there if you look. You could google Arnish Moor or Gunnister Man and get something to work with.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I couldn't agree more!!

When 1st diving into the GAoP, I couldn't help but want the long coatn such. But now I easily prefer the short sailor's jack and a good pair of slops... Especially during the summer!!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!