The Pirates Mutual Aid Society

LongTom

Since we are throwing ideas out and brainstorming ...what about music? I sing and I have a friend who would record me. I would be happy to record an old tune or three. If several others would follow suite we could have enough for a CD to sell with all the proceeds going to Syren. Using shanties and old tunes we do not have to deal with paying royalties. Recordings donated. Label and cover design would be no problem with so many artists around. That makes the cost low for burn, labels & covers. These could conceivably be done in house depending upon what we think the demand might be. They could be sold at events throughout the country.

Thoughts? Feedback would be appreciated.

I am proud to be a member of this crew! I hope I never need to call out for help, but I rest easy knowing people like you guys and gals still exist in this ravaged old world.

Silkie, I hope to hear your sweet voice from the same space that you occupy sometime. As for me... well I have a contract with every major recording label. The final clause says; "As long as you don't attempt to sing any of our songs in public or private, we won't have to sue you for destruction of copyrighted material." B)

Remember folks to save your doubloons for the up and coming sword auction. Be generous as this is a good cause and a nice blade! A "win-win" situation.

Bo

I'm in for wherever I can help. Just let me know. In the meantime I'll be thinking.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

This is what this is about. One of our own needs some assistance! Lets step up!

So, any takers on the music idea? This could be a good prooject even if we were not trying to raise some money. The "Pyracy Pub" Collection Volumen 1.

I'm willing to coordinate things I just need you to make CD burnable files and send them to me. I know there is alot of talent here and some of you who are not performers but play and or sing this is a chance to be "famous"! LOL Those of you who are new paid performers will be getting your name out to a few more people. Those of you who have a following will be a boon to us because your fans may be inclined to buy the CD if your name is on there.

Tis a fine ting were tryin t'do ere! Kent ya see yer way t'elpin?!

"It is a fine thing we are trying to do here! Cant you see your way to helping?"

It has been a month, give or take a few days, which means it is probably time for me to forward to Syren the donations that have come in thus far. I'd like to thank the folks who have stepped up to the challenge. You are good people.

I still have some matching funds available to double your donation with, if anyone feels moved to join in now. Give five, I'll make it ten. Give ten, I'll make it twenty.

(Okay, to be perfectly honest, it's not like I was going to withhold any of that second hundred dollars, when the time came. But I did hope that it would draw a few more of you out of the woodwork, who otherwise are thinking "What good is ten dollars going to do?" Again, every little bit helps. Many small donations add up to one big result.)

Any takers, please PM me for logistics.

We do have some longer term initiatives to check in on...

I'm just getting started with the auction of Bo's sword.

The benefit music CD sounds very intriguing.

Iron Bess, did you get any answers from the legal eagles at Disney?

• 4 weeks later...

Today's news, for those of you following this topic:

I'm pleased to report that the first set of contributions have been sent and received. The response from Black Syren's family can be seen here.

Together we raised and sent four hundred fifteen dollars, as well as some nice cards expressing well wishes. This total does not include the auction of Capt Bo's fine sword. I apologize for not being able to get to that just yet. I really didn't want to fire half-cocked on that venture, and risk letting such an excellent contribution go for less than its true value because I didn't know what I was doing.

I want to acknowledge and thank those of you who have stepped up to the challenge. These fine individuals deserve recognition:

* Haunting Lily

* Rusty Barrels

* Capt Bo of the WTF Co

* Anonymous donor

You all have much to be proud of. It is my fond wish that giving of your heart will open you all to abundance in your own lives as well. Also, thank you for extending your trust to me, in this age of a scammer behind every keyboard. I know it seemed a crackpot idea. Thank you again.

You guys made me cry, and you help me everyday to keep going when I want to quit and give up. But how can I when I have so many wonderful friends. And Rusty I do not know you and I am unsure as to the annonymous donor..but I have a long memory and your Aid..whether by card or some other deed will never be forgotten..Long Tom..I cannot thank you enough...It means the world to me to be honored to have such wonderful friends. I love you all...

Syren

·Haunting Lily- Your card will be kept under my pillow for a while…And while we do not know one another face to face..through the PM’s we have sent I feel as if I have known you forever..

* Rusty Barrels- I do not think I have had the honor to meet or speak with you, but to send help will not be forgotten.

* Capt Bo of the WTF Co- Bo…I do not know what to say to you..I have known you for a while now and you never cease to amaze me, Thank you for being a friend.

* Anonymous donor- I wish I knew who you were to tell you Thank you personally, Thank you..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 4 weeks later...

Syren - I did not know until now that you are ill. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Long Tom - are you still accepting items for an auction? If so, I'd like to speak with you about donating a CD or two as well as two autographed t-shirts from my troupe, TLotSK, for auctioning purposes.

Let me know

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

That's a generous offer, Emerald!

I have to say I'm not prepared to conduct a running auction at this point. Right now I'm embroiled in preparing for a theater performance in December, so I will be swamped through the end of the year.

On the other hand, Syren's situation is of sufficient magnitude that there will be opportunities to contribute for quite a while. (save a lottery win by some generous soul, which I wouldn't mind seeing one bit!) We have some time to continue to make things happen.

I would suggest that for these sorts of items, folks draw upon their local communities (for instance, local fan base for performing troupes) for support. The way I see it, I don't make a particularly effective face for the effort, going out into the world in general. People will look at me and say "who the heck is LongTom, and who the heck is Black Syren, and who the heck is TLotSK? Tell me again why I should want this T-shirt?" People that know you will have a lot fewer questions. They already know they want your T-shirt, and they trust that you think it's a worthy cause based on their relationship with you.

I can't possibly compete with all y'all in terms of being well-connected. Everybody working within their networks is where things get rolling. I know of at least one other Friend Of Syren who has successfully gathered a sizeable contribution through ad-hoc donations from her own community on Halloween night. (Nudge, nudge. You know who you are. Care to relate your success story?)

I know of at least one other Friend Of Syren who has successfully gathered a sizeable contribution through ad-hoc donations from her own community on Halloween night. (Nudge, nudge.  You know who you are.  Care to relate your success story?)

I guess I can do that. :lol:

As I stated in an earlier post, every year at out yard haunt, people always ask if we accept donations. Up until now, we have always said no. Well, this year we decided to put out a small donation cauldron and send the money to Syren. I'm very happy to say we raised $99.18. I really wish it had been more. Many people commented that it was too small or I should have had posters or things of that nature out. Lessons learned......

I believe something similiar may be set up at PIP. Since I'll be there, I will gladly beg, badger and pick any pocket I have to to raise more money. Ok, stealing may be crossing the line, but you get my drift. I made some extra haversacks and my hubby made a bunch of fids to give away in the hopes that people will offer money and then we will add it to the pot as well.

Maybe we can do a holiday drive?????

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I believe something similiar may be set up at PIP. Since I'll be there, I will gladly beg, badger and pick any pocket I have to to raise more money. Ok, stealing may be crossing the line, but you get my drift. I made some extra haversacks and my hubby made a bunch of fids to give away in the hopes that people will offer money and then we will add it to the pot as well.

Maybe we can do a holiday drive?????

That is a fantastic idea! You may want to speak with William about it ~

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!