Faire vs Re-enactment

Hawkyns

The frock coat, eh?

Not bad.. but I like the breeches! ::Swoons::: Lads an' gents.. have you ANY inkling of an idea what breeches do to us women? You all look SOOOO damn sexy in them! No matter what size or age you are... you gents look uber sexy in breeches! ;)

'Course.. the attire of the 18th c is uber sexy! :)

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baggy butt an' all! :)

You gents look SOOO dashing $ sexy in those outfits.

It makes attending these events SOO worth while. I tell ya though... the more authentic looking, the better. Even the baggy sloops are splendid.

When at the Rev War events.... I am one HAPPY woman the whole weekend. I do not mind cooking, running to get firewood, etc.

I'll be happy to wear my stays... with the gents all around wearing breeches. ;)

Though... whatever outfit I am wearing... I do my best to make sure it's got a high content if not 100% content of natural fibers... like cotton for example. granted most of my items are on average 80% authentic... but they are totally breathable to the point I'm not panting & sweating a river. Blame that on early training of attire & such... as I started out as a re-enactor & the Rev War community is pretty stiff on the authentic look. & I do... I keep my eyes open for items that look of the period... having seen some items from the Smithsonian to places out east at battlefields.. Williamsburg.. even to a travel exhibit that stopped here in Eastern Iowa a couple years ago.. & checking out books, looking online... It's tough... but... lately... it's doable! I've been flipping out with the near authentic items one can get away with.. like some chests from Hobby Lobby or Michaels... even Hancock fabrics... I spotted a couple items at Super Target that looked like it could pass for 18th items!

I have more fun at re-enactments. Honestly & truly. Tomahawk throws... being on the battlefield.. cooking...sewing... even games.. oh, boy do we have fun in the evenings with a traveling tavern to sing songs at & drink & exchange stories! Safety is #1.. but we are adults & we mix pleasure with history quite well.

Give me a re-enactment any day. Besides.. majority of the time.. it's also free food! ;)

Anyone around the Midwest want to give it a shot with the NWTa... more than welcome to! First even is in May. You can got LIV (Loyalist Irish Volunteers) which gives you a chance to chck out - for no more than 2 events - as many unis as possible to figure out which one works for you.

Hehehe, though I won't lie.. would love to have ya join my unit... my commander would LOVE to have more bodies in uniform.

;)

'Course.. the attire of the 18th c is uber sexy!  :) 

This is so true. I know I'm in good company here when I say things like this, but I wish my husband could wear period clothes all the time -- he looks so damn good in them! He's a big, hefty fellow, and the cut of the clothing fits his profile so much better than modern clothes (don't take that the wrong way if you read this, honey). Plus, I know he's more comfortable when he's wearing them.

And, on the topic, we are more familiar with re-enacting than Ren Faires, but we love both. It's fun to embellish the costumes a little for Faires, and wear some of the stuff that might not be strictly authentic but more fitting to our pirate roles (remember, in the Midwest, there's not much pirate 're-enactment' -- when we're at re-enactments, it's usually Fur Trade or 19th century settlers)

:) AMEN, Sister! Why did that fashion have to fade away to only 200 - 300 years ago? ::le sigh:: The WHOLE weekend I am at a re-enactment, I have a smile upon my face. Yes.. men .. no matter what size, shape, age, etc... they ALL look good in 18th c attire. Be it fancy attire or shredded cloth hangin' on like you'd been through a tornado!

Aye.. not much up this direction except the 19th c historically. But.. hopefully, changes will come about... cause I know a couple groups around Chicago who are expanding into F & I.

:: le sigh:: we need to have pirate fests in Chicago around the time they have the tall ships visiting the area. I swear... nearly every year they have a couple come into the area.

;)

Mmm, I'm with you ladies! Men do look great in garb! I go to reenactments just to gaze, if nothing else! Be it pirate, fur trade, Revolutionary war, medieval, you name it, it looks good on them.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

Ta answer the question that was posed at the beginnin o' this thread, methinks I consider meself more o' a faire person. Granted, I've only been at this fer a couple o' years (wit the 2005 MDRF bein' the first time as me persona), but I've become quite comfy wit the more relaxed atmosphere there. (Seein fine young lads in kilts don't hurt either ;) ) Not that there be anythin wrong wit historical accuracy and reenactin(especially considerin that me ma is a big history buff), but ta be truly 'period', I'd hafta wear a bloody skirt, and I'd rather walk the plank right inta the bilgewater they call the Chesapeake. Gimme a good pair o' breeches anyday.

Well, I've said me piece now. Anyone needs me, I'll be at the bar, enjoyin a fresh pint o' Guinness. ;)

The Wit and Wisdom of Capt. Jack Sparrow:

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Will Turner: You cheated.

Jack Sparrow: [shrugs] Pirate.

Well seein' as how I read about 60% o' the posts that have been thrown about on this matter. I figger it's 'ime fer me ta weigh in a bit.

Personally I find myself in a weird middle ground as far as accuracy and fantasy fair. Being a long term member of the SCA as well a long time Rennie I find it somewhat easy to slide back and forth through the spectrum as needed. Even then I still find myself striving for accuracy even when attending a Ren Faire. Granted I still let it all hang out a bit and go for some of the fantasy flair. I think there can be a happy medium between the two as Jack was saying a while back.

Perhaps it's all to do with the fact that I'm a very strange person as a whole. I can adapt do many different situations. So as a result so does my pirate persona. I crave to learn all there is about the actual day to day life at sea as it were like Hawkyns. At the same time I find myself drawn theatrical side of the coin as well.

So here I be hoppin' from one side of the fence to other. I think for me the key is being adaptable as I said. I need both sides to be happy, but that's just me. It all really boils down to just that for all of us. Where are we happy with our reliving life as pirate? Be it 100% accuracy, be it fantasy or down right insanity...may we all have fair winds and a calm sea!

Time to head to the pub! ;)

Of course the women look good also.....

nothing like a tight bodice and low cut blouse to keep a pyrate on his toes......

Why... thank ye kindly, Patrick. Such a sweet gent. A good slew of us women enjoy keepin' ya gents upon your toes.

Ooooh... I agree with ya, Kalum. There can be & is a happy medium between the fantasy fun & the historical accuracy.

Heck.. the movies do it.. so can we.

;)

I think ye question be a fair one. I have fun and try to be period at the same time. Me thinks if ye have all the right garb and it all looks to be from the same period then tha's great! I don't look kindly on the snobs that are lookin' to put people down because their fabric isn't 100% natural fiber. If your settin' a standard fine, follow it, but I be workin' in fabric for a long time and unless you be makin' it yerself, spinin' an all, ye be bowin' to the modern productions of the times.

"If you can't dress like a pirate, why dress at all." NQG

:D

Floggin's are a natural part of life

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

Member of the International Wenches Guild

I'm kinda torn on this one.... my pyrate stuff is close, but not "that" accurate, and I know what parts are not correct. I was recreating a pyrate that looks like something from a Howard Pyle painting. At PiP, there were many tourist that comented "Thats what a real pyrate looked like". Playing a "Fantacy/Faire" pyrate is lots of fun, I like yelling "aaargh" in parades. But on the other hand, I know it is not period, and just reenforces the popular missconceptions about pyrates. It's like reenacting the American Civil War and using M1 Garands.....

But I think I've come up with a solution.....

There is no law that says that I can't do two different kinds of pyrate. My PC (Popular Culture ) pyrate, and a "Hard core authentic" 1680 buccaneer.

There are times when my PC pyrate is proper, and other times when an authentic period buccaneer would be appriot. This way I can enjoy both kinds of "fun"........

Well, Gwen and I have two outfits in s similar vein. We have the hard core authentic kit foe when we're doing most things, and especially working on ships, and we have more fantasy type stuff for the occasional faire. That's when Gwen can wear the revealing, tight, stuff that I like, but has no connection to history, and I can dig out the black leather and silver studs look. We don't use it much, but once or twice a year we'll bring it out.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to "stir up some ....stuff"

I use to do a clown for childrens partys... to be a good clown takes a lot of work to do it right.... it's not just make-up, and funny cloths, there are many skill involved..... I can juggle knives..... but I don't want to "horn in" on Ace's bit.......

Now when the group that I'm a pyrate with are in a parade I have a bit of "schtick" that I do.... I find a group of kids, and ask if any of them wants to join our crew.... we need a new powder monkey.... then I ask them if they are quick.... and if any of them knows what a powder monkey is.... I then explain that durring a sea battle a powder monkey runs down to the powder magazine, gets a big bag of gunpowder, and brings it to the cannons.... so they have to be able to run realy fast...... because our last powder monkey wasnt that fast.... and a cannonball took his head "clean off"...... at that point most of them no longer like the idea of joining a pyrate crew.... and it is time to move along....

Now the part that I'm thinking about..... my "schtick" is a bit of clowning... (OK.... the punch line is a bit "gross" but it is still "the blow off"..... just for a different "character.......)

So when we are in a parade, we are a variation of "character clowns".......

On one hand.... this is fun.... on the other hand.... it's not very piratacal......

Funny, I've used the same lines when I've been out playing with the public!

Ah great minds think alike!

I've even gone so far (when really under the influence of drinking) as to carry a whip and wander through the faire yelling for victims. :(

Rumba

** :( **

Never thought about the simularities between clowns and parading as Pirates! But Aye, I admit the crowd interaction is simular!

And since the Pirates of Portlandia don't have a float, we are up close and personal with the crowd at Portland's Starlight parade.

My favorite schtick is when Splinter approaches a young lass and asks her "Left or right?" Meaning which shoulder should he hoist her up to run off with her and I get to hit him with my umbrella!

And Patrick, which Pyle painting tableu are ye gonna present?

I think "Marooned" would do nicley!!!!! :(

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

I'm in the SCA and don't really go to faires, not that I don't like faires they can be really fun and I've known many people that go to them, it's just that the SCA takes up most of my time.

I've been working on my persona for a long time evolving it when I can, so I've been working on a Viking turned Pirate persona in the late 11th early 12th centuries. It is a work in progress and I'm still doing the research. When I get my research completed I want to try to look as authentic as possible. Until then I wear what ever I can find or what my wallet will let me wear.

just my 2 pence,

Perkeo

It's all a matter of sematics: you call it a drinking problem, I call it a reality exit stratagy :(

I use to do a clown for childrens partys...

Aye, I'll be joinin' yer club - I did the magician routine...a kind of "poor man" conjurer with a tatty tux and a threadbare rabbit...

Makes ya think on yer feet, it does, when the little ones try to catch you in yer show! Good trainin', says I, fer Pyracy...the fantasy kind, o'course...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I've got a lot o' Ren Faire experience behind me, so I like the "make-believe" pirate look. (The Colorado Renaissance Festival is a fantasy faire.) 'Round here, the SCA is not nice to Rennies. They spend most of their time around us criticizing our costumes, which I don't find enjoyable, so I don' hang around them too much.

When I first started the festival, I went wi' the full fantasy, but as I learned more about the Tudor era, I got more authentic and accurate. I have a feelin' that's what'll happen this time--as I learn more, I'll lean toward the more authentic costuming. But I'll still want the freedom to dress flamboyantly, and just have fun wi' me clothes! For me, the whole point is to live a fantasy.