Pirates of other Nations

Island Cutter

I have found some very interesting things in researching my GAoP Character: A merchant turned "Privateer" in a Freeport in the Danish West Indies...

Pictorial references for Danish Pirates are difficult to find. I would assume that they wore much the same kit at their English cousins, but with some regional accessories.

I found this picture and couldn't help noticing some similarities to the common English sailor's kit

MorsMand.jpg

The picture actually portrays a Danish man from the mid 1800's. A lot seems to have been retained from much earlier styling.

So getting a basic GAoP kit together wasn't challenging enough... I want to be a Danish Pirate ta' boot... er, clog.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

I agree that there is a WORLD of pirates out there to portray. Last year, at Middlefaire down in Texas, the owner asked me to come as something OTHER than a New World, Caribbean pirate, so, I donned a turban, put on the long pants with short boots, put a sash under my belt and carried a scimitar and my booth became "Blackbead's Bazaar," the market of a Barbary corsair. In September, I'm going to a festival that will have Civil War reenactors and 1840's characters running around. Yours truly will be garbed out as a river pirate, a la "Mike Fink." And one year at the Texas Renaissance Faire's "Roman Bachannal," I went as a Cilician pirate and my wife dressed as the Roman lady that I had taken prisoner and was holding for ransom. There's just TOO much fun to be had out there . . .

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I found this picture and couldn't help noticing some similarities to the common English sailor's kit

MorsMand.jpg

The picture actually portrays a Danish man from the mid 1800's. A lot seems to have been retained from much earlier styling.

I, too, am interested in non-British (English, Welsh, and Scots) pirate information. If you don't mind, could you explain a little bit more what you mean about the image being similar to earlier fashions? Do you have a picture of those earlier fashions?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

The image of the Danish Man shows what seems to be the progression of dress from the 18th C. to the 19th C.

He has buff coloured britches, woolen socks and a vest over what actually seems to be a close fitting short coat. On his head he wears a knit stocking cap. The vest is certainly much reduced from the GAoP Style, but you can see the progression. The cut and fit have changed by the mid 1800's, but the basic elements are still there.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

I agree that there is a WORLD of pirates out there to portray. Last year, at Middlefaire down in Texas, the owner asked me to come as something OTHER than a New World, Caribbean pirate, so, I donned a turban, put on the long pants with short boots, put a sash under my belt and carried a scimitar and my booth became "Blackbead's Bazaar," the market of a Barbary corsair. In September, I'm going to a festival that will have Civil War reenactors and 1840's characters running around. Yours truly will be garbed out as a river pirate, a la "Mike Fink." And one year at the Texas Renaissance Faire's "Roman Bachannal," I went as a Cilician pirate and my wife dressed as the Roman lady that I had taken prisoner and was holding for ransom. There's just TOO much fun to be had out there . . .

Blackbead

Blackbeard, how very interesting. I would be very interested to see some picutres of you and your wife in your different kits. Is there any way you can post them please.

I would love to especially see the outfit you will be wearing for the Civil War re-enactment. The Civil War is a great interest to me.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.