College Class in History of Piracy

MadRose

Permission to come aboard?

I'm a college student in Rhode Island with an interest in pirates (one that predates PotC, thankyouverymuch). One wonderful thing about my school is that if one can write a well-researched (in this case, ten pages written in my blood and exhausted tears) syllabus and a mission statement, recruit a faculty sponsor and a group of interested students and push through two committees, one can create a class: thus was born the History of Piracy, which I arranged for next semester.

This seemed like a good place to ask: does anyone know of good resources for fun-yet-piratically-historical activities around or in Providence, or of historians (or obsessive hobbyists) who might be willing to speak to a group of at least mildly obsessive college students (though the rules of the school prohibit our paying a speaker, I believe)?

The class includes several members of Arrr!, our pirate arrr-capella group.

Much thanks!

Mad Rose (Gail)

Mad Rose -

If you're a member of Arrr!, then I know the institution whereof you speak. I've had previous incarnations of Arrr! involved in events I did in Salem, MA not long ago.

The first - and probably obvious - suggestion would be to arrange a day trip out to the tip of the Cape to see the Expedition Whydah museum in Provincetown. I just did the drive from Providence to P-town last week, and it's an hour and a half one way (depending on traffic) but well worth it.

I know there is a pirate tour in Newport, but beyond that I know nothing about it.

I may be able to suggest a couple of sutlers specializing in GAoP re-enactment who might possibly be willing to present something to your class.

Lastly, since I seem to be acquiring a good level of knowledge of pirate/privateer history in Boston, maybe I can ofer something myself.

Well, I wish my RI history teacher Mr Tierney was still around, he pretty much gave the class a run-down on the subject, but that was more than 20 years ago. He booked us at least a dozen field trips (Mystic Maritime Museum, New Bedford Whaling museum, Haffenraffer Museum of Anthropology, and a weeklong trip in nantucket). One of my all-time favorite stories that he told was of the ghost ship "Palatine"

Palatine

There's a pirate reenactor/historian fellow in the area by the name of McNiff , I shall provide some info via personal message.

Feel free to visit the oldest tavern in the US, which was owned by a pirate William Mayes:PIRX4.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

You are all so helpful!

I'll be looking into all of these contacts soon.

Also looking forward to participating on this forum; I've enjoyed what I've read here. Isn't it odd that a New England school with a solid history department has no maritime historians at all on faculty?

Mad Rose