I-35W Bridge in Mpls Collapsed!!

The Doctor

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately the only thing I know about sinking cars is that the old VW Bugs aren't supposed to sink immediately because the majority of the body is made in one piece. (I also heard that they used to dip the cars in giant vats of paint, but that sounds like a rumor.)

Before this thread gets locked and for a diversion before tempers flare--

I am the owner of a 1974 VW Beetle.

While I live in coastal Florida, I would NOT want to trust that my Bug is watertight. No matter WHAT this commercial says...

OK--back to the thread.

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

What? Sorry, I was away from the 'net. Weekend access for me is quite touch and go, y'see...

Like most topics, this one may have veered from the original intent, but that's pretty typical around here. In fact, I am frequently guilty of doing so myself. :blush: I'm inclined to leave it open for the time being. If it gets out of hand, I'll consider shutting it down. (So let's all take Rumba's advice, shall we? Everyone has a right to their opinion. (Even, on rare occasions and alternate full moons, when it's different than mine. B) ))

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

When the I-90 bridge in Amsterdam New York collapsed, people in cars and trucks kept driving off because they didn't see that the bridge section was mising.

And here comes another rant apologies to anyone that gets offended...

TheNY I-90 was going to be this superhighway connecting all the states in the North East. Most of the NY interstate was finished in the 50's and tolls have been in place since that time. We have to pay a toll to get from one freaking city to the next, unless we take all the backroads...

The funds are suppose to go into the kitty that maintains the roads and bridges. The bridges supports are in fast moving water. The base of the supports cannot handle years of fast current, debris and ice jams without damage.

We have 4 big bridges here that cross over into Canada. The supports are sitting in the Falls rapids. HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our bridges are suppose to be checked by the federal guidelines, but prove it!

ANd how many states in the US are selling the bridges and interstates to PRIVATE INVESTORS OUTSIDE OF THE US????????????????????????????

and this isn't a conspiracy theory against the current administration. Each administration from the 50's on let things go and if something horrific happens during the current administration, then it is up to that administration to take care of it, savvy?

kttcsignature.jpg

I just found out today that my company is doing some of the high-res mapping of the bridge collapse. I saw the aerial photos this afternoon. More to come as I am able to divulge -- some of this stuff may be under pretty tight reins as far as public info, until the investigation is done.

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the photos in more detail. I look at them in 3D, from above, so it's a lot like hovering in a helicopter over the bridge. Very fine detail, and from an angle impossible to show on TV.

My first reaction was amazement that many more people weren't killed. There are vehicles that fell 50+ feet, onto rocks or concrete, with hundreds of snapped ends of rebar sticking out every which way. Cars caught in the bent girders like bugs in a spider web. How do you get out of your car when it's balanced on an I-beam, 20 feet over a river, at a 60 degree angle?

I won't be able post any photos any time soon, probably never. I'm not an engineer, so I'm not going to say anything about possible causes. But I do hope that someday the public will be able to view these photos the way I have been able to.

'