Documentation

depinux

Ahoy,

I've been getting into 'calligraphy' lately and I'm looking to make perhaps a Letter of Marque or like an articles of pyracy document for a friend for a gift. I'd much rather have a letter of marque for they seem a bit more appealing, but I have found said articles already so I have plan B ready to go if necessary. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the best way to go about this.

PS. I remember seeing (not on here unfortunately) a replica of the letters of marque from POTC 2. If anyone has a pic of those I'd very much like to replicate that.

Take care.

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

There was a thread about this..... but it was a long time ago...... Also check in TWILL.....

I've been getting into 'calligraphy' lately

What style of lettering are you trying to learn.....

I've been working on "Roundhand"... but I cheat and use a fountain pen.....

Hey... post some of yer hand writtin' then we can trash it or comment on it.....

(I'm only joking about the "trashing" bit...... :lol: )

Course it might be fun to hijack this thread, and show off calligraphic styles O' writtin'.................

Dang.... now I gots ter write something nice and Pyrate like ter post an' show me style O' Roundhand...............

Unfortunately what I call 'calligraphy' is just the Edwardian Script font I have from microsoft word, I printed out the alphabet large enough so I can see it clearly. I have an awful time to try and replicate the style. I've looked into some calligraphy books at me local library but haven't found any really worthwhile.

I bought a quill with a steel nib from Barnes and Noble a while back so I've been using that. Soon though I intend to get a real quill perhaps from Jas Townsend.

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

This was the discussion from TWILL

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8891

There is a lot of information on the IAMPETH page....

http://www.iampeth.com/

How to Read 18th Century British-American Writting

http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/writing.html

Shows some good example of writting.

I'm still looking for the page that telly you how to make a quill pen......

Yah... but it's not quite cool to rip off someone elses work.....

Do your own research, and find yer own stuff to work offa.......

Pyratin offa Pyrate.... just ain't fair........

( I'm kinda sure that you didn't mean to rip someone off.... just look at what they have done...... so take this post with a chunka salt.........)

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:

Fantastic!

Now, my problem be... I can't find laid paper or parchment larger than legal size to write upon.

Easy enough to find laid paper and parchment look alikes... but to obtain the really good stuff and larger... yeah, right.

So, anyone know where to obtain good historical paper (besides Williamsburg) that is the size of the US Documents (D of I, Constitution, etc)... both laid paper and the parchment... ::raises hand::: I am in the market!

I use the old fashion way with the paper... with ink I obtain at Barnes and Noble... and better yet, real goose quills! Yes, I have TONS of goose quills and make my own quill pens. I've MORE than enough to last me for years and years and have been thinking about selling them some. One pen I've used for nigh 2 years, if that goes to show you how good they are and how long they last if used correctly and taken care of.

Not to boast my penmenship with quill pens, but I must say I do a rather good job and would rather write with my quill pens than a regular ball point or fountain pen.

Any one know how to resculpt seals?

I've one from Townsend with that fantastic handle but the pewter seal I'm none too charmed with. And want something a little different/better.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I made a seal out of Sculpie....

First I made what I wanted the seal to look like from Sculpie, and then baked that... Once it was cool, I used it as a mold and formed more Sculpie over that and added a handle. It took a few trys to get it to work, the Sculpie kept sticking to the mold, so I had to re-form it a few times.

Sculpie isn't the best material to make a seal out of, sometimes the wax sticks to it..... But it is easier and safer than casting one outta pewter......

I made a seal out of Sculpie....

First I made what I wanted the seal to look like from Sculpie, and then baked that... Once it was cool, I used it as a mold and formed more Sculpie over that and added a handle. It took a few trys to get it to work, the Sculpie kept sticking to the mold, so I had to re-form it a few times.

I don't know how this would work for a seal.... But to take Patrick's suggestion to another level on something I have tried.....

I made a buckle once.... I formed the original out of sculpie, baked it to harden it (follow standard sculpie instructions). But rather than using it as a mold to make a sculpie object, I covered the sculpie original in a thin layer of vaseline, whipped up some plaster, pressed the vaseline covered sculpie buckle into the plaster deep enough to make a good impression. Then left the plaster to dry. The scuplie will not sink, but when the plaster is dry, you have a mold of your original. Now you can use this mold to make a pewter copy, but odds are, you will only get one (maybe two or three if you are VERY lucky) molding out of the plaster. One note here, let your plaster dry THOROUGHLY (like wait days, maybe even a week if you are in a very humid region). Pouring or dripping hot pewter onto plaster that is not thoroughly dry will cause steam, steam burns people, burning people is bad, very bad. ;)

Now here's the funny thing... Modern lead-free pewter is made of the following...

~85 to 90% tin

~2% copper

with the remaining balance being made from Antimony or Bismuth.

If you look at the make up of hardware store plumbing solder you will find it is made from

~70 to 90% tin

~2% copper

with the balance made up from Antimony or Bismuth (or occassionally other substitutes, but not often)

Wikipedia entry on Pewter

Wiokipedia entry on Solder

So those wanting to try pewter casting without buying a large quantity of lead free pewter from a jewelry supply house, can go to your local hardware store and buy a pound of lead free solder (usually about $10 to $12) and try it with that. If you try this at home, have adult supervision :( and use lots of caution and safety gear (tinted safety goggles and HEAVY protective leather gloves).

If anyone has any questions, please let me know, and I will try and provide more specific advice and suggestions...

Michael_banner.jpg

Huh. I was going to suggest Sculpy, but I am lazy. Nearly terminally so. But the pewter - that is something I had not heard. Thanks for the tip.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

hardware store plumbing solder

Dang... that is so cool to know......

Jas. Townson was (maybe they still are) selling pewter ingots, and I saw pewter shot in an art catalog, but they wanted $22.00 per pound for it.....

CAUTION... THE FOLLOWING IS REALY DANGEROUS AND POSSIBLY STUPID :(

I wanted to make a stamp, by making my master mold outta sculpie, then forming a dam around it.... then filling it with pewter..... just never got around to ordering the pewter..... So the tip about solder is very handy.......

Hummmm.... and I do need some buttons..........

OH BOY..... Fun with molten metal.......... ;)

This might be an answer to my cheap coin dilemma - make my own!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

hardware store plumbing solder

Dang... that is so cool to know......

Jas. Townson was (maybe they still are) selling pewter ingots, and I saw pewter shot in an art catalog, but they wanted $22.00 per pound for it.....

CAUTION... THE FOLLOWING IS REALY DANGEROUS AND POSSIBLY STUPID :ph34r:

I wanted to make a stamp, by making my master mold outta sculpie, then forming a dam around it.... then filling it with pewter..... just never got around to ordering the pewter..... So the tip about solder is very handy.......

Hummmm.... and I do need some buttons..........

OH BOY..... Fun with molten metal.......... :ph34r:

Happy to share the trick. :ph34r:

Sculpie won't hold up to the heat of molten pewter/solder, but plaster will (it scorches which is why it deteriates so fast, but it will hold up for at least one to a few castings)... Sculpie will burn and most likely ruin anything you are trying to do.

I know people that make buttons this way, and they turn out well... It's a bit trickier, as I am told it requires a three part mold, but it can be done. And I am certain it works for coins as well.

If either of you (or anyone else) makes anything, please do share your experiences. I'd love to hear about what other uses people think of for this.

:ph34r:

Edit - My other half wants credit for the using sculpie as a master and making the plaster mold from the sculpie master.... I was originally going to use wax (casting wax) until she suggested the scuplie/vaseline/plaster idea.. Hopefully this admission will get me out of the dog-house. :ph34r:

Michael_banner.jpg

Sculpie won't hold up to the heat of molten pewter/solder,

I figure for a one shot mold, it might work.... sure it would burn the snot outta it.... but I won't know untill I mess with it..... :huh:

I figure for a multi-use mold..... for buttons.... soapstone would be the way to go.... (it worked for casting bullets....) eaither a flat faced button (one part mold)... or a domed button, that would take a two part mold..... cast it... then drill the hole through the shank after it cools......

Not quite doing the "Happy Dance" .... but realy close to it...... :huh:

I love learning trick/ tech tips like this........

well ...quit braggin...lets see yer work....eh? :lol:

M.A. d'Dogge, I promise, next time I sees ye, I'll have m' writin' stuff with me. :) Otherwise, I might b' able t' conjure up a pen pal like letter if ye so wishes t' sees it an' not be wantin' t' wait for a few months.

Thank ye, gents, fo' th' ideas.

Anyone ever tried using wood for a seal? I'm just seeing what avenues I have without spending the coinage I don't have (need to plunder some soon, as I'm being plundered from; long story there).

Again, anyone have ideas on obtaining huge laid paper or parchment/fake parchment?

I know I use th' fake parchment paper I get at WalMart to make wee "business" cards from and singe the edges to make it look mighty piratey. I've gotten TONS of compliments on those and keep running out of them.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

An interesting "trick" for singeing the edges of paper....

If you try to just burn the edges, the paper won't always catch fire where you want it to singe.... so Tear the paper first.... then singe it.

The fibers of the paper will catch better, and you can control the burn...

Okay my question here is, and please don't take this the wrong way as I can truly appreciate all yer hard work and talent that goes into making some of this stuff... but why are we aging the papers and burning the edges? If letters of marque were so important and kept locked away and we are portraying folks from the period and not from a later period finding OLD documents... shouldn't we be producing items that look fairly new and not totally beat up? What would fresh, new, maybe a year old letters look like?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Again, anyone have ideas on obtaining huge laid paper or parchment/fake parchment?

I know I use th' fake parchment paper I get at WalMart to make wee "business" cards from and singe the edges to make it look mighty piratey. I've gotten TONS of compliments on those and keep running out of them.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Have you checked at your local art supply shop. Mine has a huge selection of all kinds of neat papers, some in these huge sheets that I actually end up cutting down because they're so big. Chain places like Dick Blick & Pearl might have similar paper selections too.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Okay my question here is, and please don't take this the wrong way as I can truly appreciate all yer hard work and talent that goes into making some of this stuff... but why are we aging the papers and burning the edges?  If letters of marque were so important and kept locked away and we are portraying folks from the period and not from a later period finding OLD documents... shouldn't we be producing items that look fairly new and not totally beat up? What would fresh, new, maybe a year old letters look like?

The historicals maybe, but the hollywoods not necessarily (this is plunder after all :ph34r: )

Everything I've printed has starts out nice & new looking. That lasts, oh, about 2 events before they are stained, battered and looking a little worn from being shoved in my pockets or squashed at the bottom of my basket. Not to mention, someone used my copy of "a Moderate Man's advice against drinking" as a coaster last weekend :ph34r: .

Also consider that if the letters of mark are fakes to begin with, why worry about them getting a little beaten up? After all, you'll get a new set for the next government/country/war anyway right :ph34r:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

but why are we aging the papers and burning the edges?

Yah... I know what you are saying......

But heck.... you should see what my Social Security Card looks like..... Tried to laminate it way back in 76..... after four years in the Army, and being stuck in my wallet for the last 30 years..... hey... you can still make out the numbers th' Government gave me......

Sure it's totaly "Hollywood".... but just like a lot of the movies we like..... heck....it's just pure fun..... :ph34r:

Not to mention, someone used my copy of "a Moderate Man's advice against drinking" as a coaster last weekend :ph34r: .

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;) Brilliant!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/