Pirates of Paynetown Event - Southern Indiana

historyfanatic

Hello Folks!

Wanted to pass the word that the second annual Pirates of Paynetown event is being held August 10-12 at Monroe Lake near Bloomington, Indiana. The weekends doings will be held at the Paynetown State Recreation Area. This is a great time! Over the course of the weekend there will be demonstrations of 18th century sea life, historical-style boats sailing on the lake, music and rabble-rousing, plus a LARGE WATER/LAND BATTLE!!! The battle includes boats, cannons, small arms and a lot of pirates! The pirates invade from the water to capture the "town". Rumor has it that Captain "Calico Jack" Rackham himself will even be there!

If'n ye want to come as a pirate, here's the gig:

Contact Jen Aynes at monroeinterp@in.dnr.gov

This is a historically-oriented event, so no polyester pirates please! However, historical pirates (especially those with boats or cannons) are more than welcome!

Numbers:

Last year we had over 1500 visitors.

This year we expect 10 boats including a 25' schooner.

We are expecting over 150 pirates.

We are expecting 5 cannons!

Come have fun with us and bring what ye've got!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

The Crewe of the Archangel will be attending... and very much looking forward to it all. Here's to a grand event. :P:P:lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: SPECIAL THANKS TO THE CREW OF THE ARCHANGEL FOR HELPING US MAKE THIS A SUCCESSFULL EVENT!! ;)

Folks,

The second annual Pirates of Paynetown was a blast! (pun intended...) It was blazing hot (100+ degrees every day) but we usually had a nice breeze that made it feel cooler and made for some fun sailing...

We had 7 boats, 3 cannons (plus 6 swivel guns), over 60 reenactors, 27 camps, and over 500 visitors on Saturday alone! It was a fine event! (last year was fun, but we only had 9 camps last year) Remember to put this on your calendar for 2008. We had a lot of day-trippers come out as well to see what was going on. There was a battle on Saturday, and a shore battery v.s. 25' sloop bombardment on Sunday. We had pirates breaking into sword fights and pistol duels as well as "cannon-bowling" on Sunday, invented by Mike Dollinger. Mike came up with a great idea involving using the shockwave from the cannon to push over tabletop nine-pins. There was also a live hanging of an erring pirate captain both days. (Don't worry, they used a safety harness and told all the kids not to try this at home. They were very safe and responsible in their demonstration. Plus the gallows made an awesome backdrop!)

Kathy and Jim Cummings of Graphic Enterprises got some great pictures and they will be posted online at Pioneer Times Webnews on Tuesday. I got a few pictures, but my camera won't focus right, so they aren't very good. I can't wait till I can get a new one!

Feel free to post any pictures you may have taken. I'd like to see them!

BEST PART OF ALL IS: WE GOT TO GO SAILING!!!!

Part of the cannon battery overlooking the bay...

PICT0105.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

Mike Dollinger and his newly invented game of "cannon bowling"...

PICT0089.jpg

PICT0116.jpg

Part of the educational area that featured hands-on displays of sailor skills, sailing and ship terms, navigational charts, tools, "quaker" gun, and a 6-lb cannonball.

PICT0154.jpg

The hanging of the embezzling captain...

PICT0137.jpg

The Skurvy Dog Tavern - Site of much live music and lively people after hours...

PICT0165.jpg

A painter who just happened to pick one of my boats as the subject of his painting. (I told him I'd like to buy it and then he said he'd add my other boat to the painting as well... I'll post a good pic of the painting soon too. Couldn't pass up $30 for a hand-painted portrait of the Otter and the Lady Rose, especially since he painted the entire picture while wearing period clothes and standing in the middle of a pirate camp! lol)

PICT0175-1.jpg

Towing the boats to the loading ramp at the end of the weekend... Special thanks to Brian McCrary and the Pirata del Lago of the Great Lakes River Pirates for his help in getting the boats to the ramp. There was no wind Sunday afternoon, so it woulda been a long row to shore. Brian was a real trooper this weekend considering that he'd just broken three ribs trying to save his boat from a Lake Michigan storm in Kenosha the weekend before. Good luck on a speedy recovery Cap'n!

PICT0190-1.jpg

My wife, Andrea and her new puppy, Nefertari...

PICT0113.jpg

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

I have to agree. This event was awesome on a variety of levels. Yeah, it was hot, but we found ways of dealing with that, so by Sunday I was comfortably wearing my woolen sailor jacket. I had never been to a history-based event, but by nightfall of the first evening I had volunteered to man a boat for the invasion with my crewmates, and by the second day I had assisted in a hanging (and I concur, very professionally done and very FUN), a weapons demo, and had been killed in a swordfight on the bluff. I would definately go again next year, and I would encourage others to go, to.

historyfanatic is a fun guy to work with; he's open to new ideas and suggestions, and seems very focused on maximizing the fun for everyone. Check this event out.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Many thanks to Both Nathan & Jen for such a great event. The killer drive was well worth it. I learned two positions on the cannon, participated in both battles, got to fire the Lt.'s gun, sang some songs at the tavern and even managed to play a few rounds of the Pastime of Memory.

The Saturday Invasion

Picture010.jpg

The Pirata de Lago changes her colors!

Picture008-2.jpg

Defending our position from the invading pirates

Picture004-1.jpg

The Otter sinks and the "town" falls to the pirates

Picture013-1.jpg

Pirate Bowling

Picture017-1.jpg

Darn, gutterball!

Picture018.jpg

Captain McCrary, Master Gunner Phil & myself doing a cannon demo (the camera settings were a little off :huh: )

Picture021-3.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

The River Pirates make themselves at home at Widow Black's Coffeehouse.

Picture016-1.jpg

I'm sure there will be more to share once everyone else has their film developed. I had a great time & can't wait until next year!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Great event! Good public turn out both days. I just wish I could have stayed longer on Sunday to see the Great Battle!

To all my crew mates - Bless you all for those who took part in such a grand event. Everyone pulled there weight and the laughing never stopped thanks to Maddogge, Matt and Pete!

I only regret that I didn't have more time to walk about the grounds. I found myself making sure the fire was kept going - even ended up using one of my camp stools too, but that’s another story there - and taking preventative measures to make sure that no one dropped from the high temps those days. To those gracious ladies from the other encampment who stopped by, thank you for your kind welcome and words. It’s always nice to meet new and interesting people!

Thank you Maddogge for taking the time to spend with us in more fanciful sword play. I’ll have to try out some of those new ‘pointers’ when I get the chance. I can still see Mary Diamond engaging herself as the aggressor hearing her charge forward at you screaming, “PLAY WITH ME! PLAY WITH ME!”

And to Captain Sterling. What can I say...you die well, Sir! Hats off to the sword fighting and the hanging, Captain. I'll pull your legs anytime!

I personally I would like to thank Jennifer and Nathan for extending such a grand welcome and making our crew feel right at home. The pot luck was a great idea and EVERYTHING was top notch! BTW, who made the wild rice and black eyed peas? I had to take an extra helping.

I enjoyed Saturday night’s entertainment a lot! Everyone was in fine voice and I even got Matt and Maddogge to dance with me a bit!

Again, thank you Nathan, Jennifer and the State Park organizers for letting us pyrates come and invade their town for a little while.

Cheeky

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Wonderful event! :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Hats off to our fantastic host and hostess, Nathan and Jen, who went out of their way to not only make the Crewe of the Archangel feel welcome but got us completely involved every where we could and made sure we had everything we could possibly need such as ice, fire wood, etc.

We all had a great time, from dying to rowing to singing and dancing on Saturday evening. Well done one and all!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I hope you do, too. It was so much fun. It's hard to believe it was only three days, actually.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Very sharp!!!

I personally already have off for next year!!! Now I just have to work out Pike River and have two full weeks for the black flag!!!

BTW: Who is that sultry vixen by the tent on the last pic???? :lol::lol:

No not you Mad Dog!!! I said "SULTRY" not..... Oh never mind!!!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Tis our own Mistress Jane... looks great for someone who works so damn hard at these events! Just wait until she gets the proper clothing together! Shhh, making her some sh-stuff to thank her for all she's done...

Crewe of the Archangel

IMG_2804.jpg

Ah... Captain Morgan Maddogge!!!!! :lol::lol:;) I came around the corner to give them their cue for the battle and found him posing for Mistress Mary and I almost fell over I started laughing so hard!!

Crewe of the Archangel

I knew that my dear Captain!!

Just very surprised at the look!!! And I agree, she is without a doubt irreplaceable and that would be a very nice gesture!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Maddogge would make a great Blackbeard don't you think Rats?

Crewe of the Archangel