POTC DVD

Capt Sadie Dread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though' all of ye PotC fans'd be interested in how the DVD is faring, sales-wise. And in one word: fantastic! In fact, it's doing so bloody well, it's broken the record for the highest sales in one week for a live-action film on DVD/VHS! ;)

Check out this article on the matter: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ilm_videos_dc_1

Cheers for PotC! Huzzah!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Ok...don't know if this has already been addressed elsewhere (a search did not yield an answer), but what exactly is hangin' in Capt. Jack Sparrow's hair? Is it a bone? (if so, any seaman lore to it? albatross for luck, or bad luck?) Or possibly even a clay pipe? More interesting....does it have a functional purpose? Been pondering on this for some time, and was hoping the DVD extras would give a clue, but no such luck (yet).

Ah, me dear, from lots and LOTS of discussion, I've two answers, and I've heard enough evidence to support both. It's either a bone ornament, or a dulled down needle for repairin' nets at sea.

As fer function... search me, lass, becuase out of everythin' I've seen Jack does not use it. If indeed it is a needle, then it would've had some purpose, bu' I daresay the Capt'n wouldn't be doin' any of his own repairs now! :) If ye be wantin' some real answers from the crew of the film, look for interviews with costume designers and propmasters, online or in magazines. Lots of info usually comes from them, all official, like.

Captain Wolfy Wench

It's rather interesting that the total at the box office was only $300 million and the total for the first week of sales was nearly as much, $240 million. It's almost as if movies are no longer watched in the theaters but to be bought and sold for the home viewer.

On another note, has anyone else noticed how much the prices of DVD's have dropped over the years. I mean it used to be that when the DVD's and movies came out they were nearly $100 for the movie and then they would drop week after week until they bottomed out at about $20 until they stopped selling and the price dropped yet again. Now most movies come out and are selling for about $15. Interesting.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I liked seeing the scar scene, it shows what Jack's survived. But I can understand why they cut it out, seeing them is a bit jarring at that point in the movie.

I haven't made my way through all the extra features yet, but I was impressed that they had historical commentary by David Cordingly.

I _like_ the scar scene, now. It adds to Jack's character, overall . . . but yeah, I like it much better as a deleted scene. It would have thrown off the entire tone of the film the first time I saw it, I think -- but as a deleted scene, it works great. It makes Jack seem more real -- he couldn't have led the kind of life he did without a few scars along the way, after all -- and I like, now, his ironic comment to Elizabeth: "No truth at all." So I approve.

I actually really liked Commadore Norrington _before_ I saw any of the deleted scenes; he's actually one of my favorite characters. Is that bad? *grins* Oy, a pirate lass fallin' for an officer of the British Navy, what be the world comin' to these days . . .

I am going to miss Barbossa in the second (and third?) films, but I think it would be doing his character a disservice if the writers tried to have him return somehow. It would cheapen the ending of the first movie to have the second one begin with us finding out Oh, no, Barbossa didn't _actually_ die, etc etc. (Michael Crichton's "The Lost World" comes to mind . . .)

240 million dollars in the first WEEK of sales. Whoa. People like this movie! :)

BTW . . . anyone agree with my assessment that the entire world will totally be ruined if the writers would make the horrible horrible decision to give Captain Jack Sparrow a love interest? (I've heard it argued that Anamaria is his love interest in the first movie, and you can look at her that way -- but you don't have to, and they certainly don't wind up "together" by the end of the film, so I don't count her that way.) If I hear one mention of Jack being given a "lady love" romantic counterpart in the next movies, I won't go see 'em. No sense in ruinin' the first movie for myself if the second movie messes up his character like that . . .

Why do I say this? Because Jack Sparrow represents freedom. Tying him down to some annoying female lead (and she WOULD be annoying, believe me) would just ruin everything. If I have one single, solitary hope for the next movie(s), it's that they keep the romantic aspect of the film as the relationship between Will and Elizabeth, and leave Jack's character alone that way.

Or is that just me? :)

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

Now I have to watch it just for the scar scene.

;) Check the deleted scenes....It's when Elizabeth and Jack are first marooned on the "Isla de Ron" (Island of Rum). ;)

As to Capt. Jack Sparrow's love interest........well, undoubtly, in my mind it's the Black Pearl. And for a pirate, can there be anyone else? ;)

Captain of The Morrighan.

Aye Ladds n' Lassies,

Ye missed a bit o' Jacks love interests in th' movie... Remember Scarlette and Gezzelle? (sp) Mind ye... these weren't 'serious' love interests... mayhap as serious as a pyrate like jack gets tho...

I'd love some back story on tha'.... ;)

And I agree... His love interest is the Black Pearl... as it should be...

;););)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Remember Scarlette and Gezzelle? (sp) Mind ye... these weren't 'serious' love interests... mayhap as serious as a pyrate like jack gets tho...

I'd love some back story on tha'....  ;)

They were merely "distractions to be found in port"....but ye see how he chased after the Pearl,...and always returned to her. ;)

Cheers to "as it should be" ;)

Now I have to watch it just for the scar scene.

:D Check the deleted scenes....It's when Elizabeth and Jack are first marooned on the "Isla de Ron" (Island of Rum). ;)

As to Capt. Jack Sparrow's love interest........well, undoubtly, in my mind it's the Black Pearl. And for a pirate, can there be anyone else? :D

Tonight.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

BTW- I don't know how many of ye caught that, but when

Dorian was reffering to Jack's "Love Interests"...

that little scene was a nod to the POTC ride..."Scarlett" is

the famed "Redhead" in the market scene of the ride....

"Bring on the redhead!...bring on the redhead!" ;)

Cheers, Mates!

Redhand

:D

Scarlett and Gizelle didn't bother me as love interests, considering they . . . er, weren't exactly the pure, chase, our-love-will-last-the-ages type love. *grins* The two of them were fine with me (and I enjoyed both their characters, quick as they appeared and disappeared again in the film); that was fine with me.

But I love the assessment that Jack's true love is the Black Pearl . . . of course it is. :) Glad to hear, though, that I not be the only pirate t' feel that way about our movie! :)

El Pirata . . . what did you think of the scar scene? Rather int'resting, is it not? :)

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

I am surprised no one has pointed out the other 2 things from the ride that appear in the deleted scenes. The first is the town mayor bring dunked repeatedly in the well (in perfect timing to the ride ;-) ). The other is in the tavern scene where the fat lady is chasing the pirate. Same dress and all! :ph34r:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Yes, I loved finding out Norrington's first name -- up to that point, he'd been the only main character not to "have" one. So that was nice. :)

When does Norrington make the comment about ice cream cones? *grins* I must have missed that interview . . .

You mean his first name wasn't Commodore?

Yah, wasn't it sort of ODD to hear Elizabeth calling him "Commadore" when the guy was getting ready to ask her hand in marriage for most of the movie?? (except for the one deleted scene) Poor guy. :D

There's a series of commentaries on the DVD with those two....it's amusing to watch and listen. You can still hear how much fun they had doing it. I was rather surprised to hear how long he took to learn the moves for twirling the sword at his promotion, but really, how many noticed that....Elizabeth was in frame, and panting...he's in the background. From the sounds of his comments...he was a bit turned out about it, but laughed knowing he just couldn't compete with the lady in frame. It's also humorous to listen to her talk about Depp and Bloom....ahhh...and here I thought she was too grown up to be 17. Was I ever so wrong..... ;):lol: Lucky Gal!!!

But, if you can only have the time to watch one commentary....make it the Depp/Gore commentary. :D This is truly one of those movies that you thank the high powers that be, that someone developed DVD's to stash all the "good stuff" on. :huh::huh::huh:

The Depp/Verbinski commentary (which I believe is the only commentary to last through the entire film -- am I right about that?) is the reward I've been "saving" for myself for surviving my school semester. I can't wait to pop that puppy in sometime in the next few days (probably I won't get to do it until next week or so, but that's fine with me) and hear what they have to say -- particularly, of course, what Johnny Depp has to say. I'm looking forward to the Davenport/Knightley commentary too, but Depp's comments throughout PotC are going to be SO cool. Rarely in these DVD things to they ever get my favorite characters to do the commentary (it never seems to work out that way), so I am THRILLED this time around! :)

Charlotte...you are going to love it. Get all your movie goodies together, because you are not going to want to pause it. When Johnny and Gore talk about the "character developement" for Capt. Jack....I nearly fell off the couch with laughter. Oh....you have to hear it to believe what they almost did our dashing Capt. Jack. And personally....I think it would have worked, and the lasses liked him all the more! LOLOL

Hee . . . I be lookin' forward to it, Ryann. It's definitely going to be a few days before I see it -- I'm going out of town tomorrow to take my blasted GREs and won't be back until Friday morning -- but then I'm gonna sit down with a bowl of popcorn and some ginger ale and just have a _blast_. Character development for our dear Captain Jack? I can't wait, I love it already!!! :huh:

I am trying to procure a DVD player over the holidays, hopefully I will get to see all the nifty extra stuff ! Especially the Depp interviews and the Lady Washington sail.

Oh...a few posts back someone asked about what was in Jack hair...there is a bead at my local bead store that looks JUST like it. It is a bone. Not saying that that is definatly what is in his hair, but It looks just like it .

-Billie-

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like someone found another easteregg on the DVD....the Japanese Trailer.

Go to "Bellow Deck menu" , to the second page of the scene index,(the one with the skeleton hand. highlight "pirate ships" and press left once, the ring in the skeleton hand will be highlighted, its the JAPANESE TRAILER!!

Thank you Lucas! *tips her tricorn in his direction*