Need a good shantie or pirate song

[BB] lkg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might not be a traditional shanty, but find an old Emerson, Lake , and Palmer CD and listen to their lyrics on "the Pirate" It doesn't get much more evil than that.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Of course I'm partial to "The Pirates who don't so anything" as a theme song

Oh, I see ye've heard of the "World Famous Sanger & Diddle"! Their rendition of "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" is a riot!

Or is there mayhaps another version of this song loatin' aboots?

And what is all this about "Boston in the fall"?

If ye ever get the chance to see The World Famous Sanger & Diddle - DO IT!

Their version of "Hose Me Down, Boys" "We're Sinking" and "Will Ya Go, Lassie" are among the most hilarious songs I've ever heard! And they are fun in concert!

:D

Me personal favorite pyrate song is "Professional Pirate" fromt the Muppet Treasure Island soundtrack. I think that is qutie possibly THE BEST pirate movie ever made (save POTC mayhaps), so that lets ya know where I'm comin' from.

And Master Studely is right: For the ultimate Pirate theme music, try ELP's "Pirates" from their album "Works Vol. I". (Ah Studley, yet another reason I likes ya!)

I gots to see them on the Pirates tour in 19***mumble mumble*** from the 3rd row. When the cannons went off, I got burn marks on my t-shirt. Great show. Would loved to have seen them with the orchestra on that one, but they only did that on the east coast, if'n I remembers right. Course, that was a LONG time ago....

*ahem*

anyhoo, as you were saying? Where did we bury all that gold?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Im open to suggestions

Have you thought of "Henry Martin"? Joan Baez does a great version of it on an old album, and the words and tune are available on the Mudcat site, a wonderful resource for all kinds o' folk music. 'ere's the link:

http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=2591

Otherwise, I'd be suggestin' "Being a Pirate", originally written by Canadian singer/songwriter Don Freed (on his tape, "Live ARR", available on Bushleague Records), and adapted by Canadian singer/songwriter/shantyman and allaround great guy, Tom Lewis.

http://gamgee.acad.emich.edu/~tomlewis/

Unfortunately, he hasn't recorded his version and prefers that his words stay out of print, but if you're ever in port 'round Seattle or Portland, and can catch me band, Broadside, chances you'll hear us perform it. We've been doin' Tom's version o' the song since last Folklife, wi' his kind permission, of course, an' he had us onstage at his album release to back him up when he sang it. Tom's a truly wonderful performer, an' if ye ever gets a chance t' see him, don't be missin' it.

Fair winds,

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

Yes, "Bein' A Pirate", a favorite of mine, is the song that got me some notoriety and many requests in Key West. I prefer Tom's version, which I have adapted somewhat to my own style and abilities. Fortunately, I acquired permission from the source (Dan Freed & Tom Lewis) afore launching it at the festival (so far, I am the first and, other than Broadside, only one with with legal permission to do Tom's version). If'n ya wants to do his version, you will have to ask Tom. I can get you in touch with him.

Here is Tom's website:

http://www.tomlewis.net/

and his email address:

seadog@netidea.com

And if ya wants to hear/see a really spirited version of the song (it be better wit' the visuals and audience participation), be sure to check out "Pyrates of the Coast". We are based in Seattle, but we will be appearing all over the place. Check out our website for upcoming appearances and events:

http://www.piratesofthecoast.com/voyages.html

I didn't originally suggest "Being a Pirate" because it may involve some effort to get permission, whereas some other songs are traditional, and don't require permission.

I also want to make sure that due credit is given, and every performance I do of the song is prefaced with acknowledgement of the author(s) of the song.

:ph34r:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

Oh, and by the way, do check out Tom's website.

BUY HIS MUSIC! You will not regret it!

He is, to my tastes, "the definitive present day shanty-man", and his music is wonderful. He is a fascinating individual as well.

I can't say enough nice things about him as a fellow musician, and he and his lovely wife are simply delightful.

Again, here is his website:

http://www.tomlewis.net/

:ph34r:

A couple of corrections, for the record:

The author's name is Don Freed (not Dan)

I may not be the first ever to have persmission. However, when I inquired about permission to perform the song, Tom informed me that he had gotten off the phone with Don only 48 hours before, and said that I was the first to have BOTH his and Don's permission. I was ecstatic, as you can imagine!

The version I do is very much my own personal interpretation, but I wnt to give credit where credit is due, out of respect for Don and respect/fondness for Tom.

Cheers!