U S Naval issue cutlass

capnwilliam

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Great links indeed, Dorian!

I hadn't realized that the 1917-model cutlass replaced one that had been official issue since 1860! (Shades of the 1911 .45 auto pistol!)

Nor that the US Navy still has an official dress cutlass for Chiefs!

Does anyone know whether 'twas true that the 1917's were still official-issue as of 1940?

:ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Great links indeed, Dorian!

I hadn't realized that the 1917-model cutlass replaced one that had been official issue since 1860! (Shades of the 1911 .45 auto pistol!)

Nor that the US Navy still has an official dress cutlass for Chiefs!

Does anyone know whether 'twas true that the 1917's were still official-issue as of 1940?

:blink:

Capt. William

Here's another brief, but insightful article on the 1917 that touches on your question, Capt. William:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollector...or/cutlass.html

That was indeed a most interesting short article, Deacon! So really, we could say that there's a 1941 version (cutout handguard) as well as the 1917 (cup handguard).

I like BOARDERS AWAY, but it covers the 1620's - 1820's period. The author here gave a misleading indication that it might answer questions about these later period cutlasses. :blink:

Capt. William

That was indeed a most interesting short article, Deacon! So really, we could say that there's a 1941 version (cutout handguard) as well as the 1917 (cup handguard).

I like BOARDERS AWAY, but it covers the 1620's - 1820's period. The author here gave a misleading indication that it might answer questions about these later period cutlasses. :blink:

Capt. William

Yeah, I'm not sure why he put that in there.

BTW, as of a couple of years ago, it was possible to obtain original Dutch Klewangs for $200-300 US.

When I was a teenager in Richardson Texas in the early 60s, there was a fabulous establishment in Dallas across the street from the SMU campus called Jackson Arms - strictly an antique arms shop. I went in there one day and there was a whole rack of 1860 cutlasses they'd bought, a dozen of them at least. I lusted for one, but couldn't pony up the big money - a whole $25. Next to them were as many French cutlasses of the same vintage, at the same price. Ah, the poverty of youth.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a picture of one, but the US Marine Corps officers carry a cool sword which was presented to them in the early 1800s after they stormed the hideout of the Barbary Pirates in the Mediteranean Sea... there's a good modern link with the past for you!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Aye, Capt. Morgan, the Mameluke hilt pattern. Personally, fer real fightin' I'd prefer somethin' that protects me hand!

John, I was in James Cohen's store just a couple days ago - a great antique weapons and coin store on Royal Street here in New Orleans - and they had a couple of 1860 US Naval cutlasses for sale; one for $1,200, the other for $1,500! :lol:

Capt. William

In Richard McKenna's novel "The Sand Pebbles" he mentions cutlasses being distributed to shore parties during hostilities. This was in the Yangtse River Patrol in 1925. McKenna was there just a few years after the events he described, so maybe as late as '25 American Navy men were packing cutlasses ashore.

Cap'n William: On the other hand, I bought my Randall #1 for all of $28.00. In mint condition (mine has been hard-used these 38 years) it would cost right alongside those cutlasses.

• 4 weeks later...
I like BOARDERS AWAY, but it covers the 1620's - 1820's period. The author here gave a misleading indication that it might answer questions about these later period cutlasses.  :D

:D

Capt. William

Capn William,

Check volume I again, it does cover the M1860 cutlass (derived from the French M 1833, and ultimately the Model 1801 cutlass), and it covers the M1917/41, including describing what may have been the last action with a US soldier (combat Engineer NCO) killing a Chineese soldier with one during the Korean war.

Just read an article about the Yangtse River Patrol (in Shotgun News, of all places.) It states that the Patrol was apparently the last organization in the U.S. Navy to be issued cutlasses. They had both the 1917 and 1860 pattern, (more of the 60s) and they show up on ship's inventories right up through the 1930s. So we may have here the last U.S. sailors who packed cutlasses.

John, that antique shop on Royal Street would have been Cohen's. Good thing you shopped early and avoided the price increase! ;)

Salem Bob, I will indeed go back and check my Boarders Away. Interesting about that Korean War incident. That may indeed be the last documented incident of U.S. cutlass combat.

Capt. William

;)

Hi John,

I think you have the right of it regarding official USN distribution . It was certainly the last hurrah for the M 1860 other than as a decorative fan in an Admirals cabin - the thing is that photos exist that show Marine NCO's, and occassional Army personel in the Pacific war with a M1917/40 strapped on. Gilkerson tried to research to see if they actually saw any use (other than being lugged around, or as a machette), but was unable to find further dertails - he did come across the alleged use by the Engineer NCO in Korea.

Apparently the Army issued them as dress sidearms for NCO's in Engineer units up into the '60's (which explains the Korea incident), and ditto for ROTC.

Capnwilliam:

Seems to me the store was called Waldhorn's. It was huge and mainly furniture oriented, but there was a room full of weapons and armor on one side. They'd just bought a lot of stuff at a Tower of London auction, including the pikes and a rack of Indian cavalry service talwars in khaki scabbards. I only had the $25 to spend and chose the pike. Glad I did now. The Monteleone had a big grandfather clock from Waldhorn's in their lobby, I recall. Spent many an evening tippling in their Carrousel Bar.