Sterling Renaissance Festival, NY

Lily Alexander

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Pirate weekend wasn't much.

From what I've heard, the faire took a loss last year (bad weather, other reasons given) so the cast is reduced, no extra acts and the cast is being paid less. Most of the acts push their own shirts and CD type thing.

I was there on the sunday and was very dissapointed in the pirate-atude. Lots of Jack Sparrow and many other playtons, who would be in garb anyways.... But the cast didn't have anything special for Pirate theme. The Pirate dunk show was mostly the same as every other weekend... oh well.

Going back in a couple of weeks (12th Aug) with friends in tow... anyone playing on being there?

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

My son was there this past Sunday and was seriously underwhelmed.

Said that PARF is far better. Not sure of the details yet, but he said the jousting was strange (1st joust no helmets - 2nd joust used foam lances?); the melee fighting was poor with cheap-looking weapons (speaking of weapons, they have that stiff no-weapons policy for visitors); the beer-drinking, instead of being confined to one area like PARF, had people wandering the faire with their trusty cups; yet the crowd was (for him, anyway) the biggest he'd ever seen at a faire.

Said he wouldn't be in a hurry to return.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I was there on Sunday and I agree that there were a lot of bad looking pirates. But they all seemed to be having a grand ole time, so more power to em. One however, had a gorgeous captain's coat on. It was worth it just to see the one coat. Follow the link and you'll see what I mean. The detail and embroidery was incredible. The pic doesn't do it justice.

http://www.needlefairy.com/html/mens.html

I didn't see many shows. But the "Empty Hats" are always wonderful, even without Victoria. I'm hoping to go back on the last weekend.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Oh, now that IS a gorgeous coat.

...wonder how many drunks I'd have to roll to get one? :lol:

My son is also a huge Hats fan. Victoria isn't with them anymore? I liked her - we had fun during our local Ren faire doing improvs...of course, my first love will always be Lucy. :lol:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

My son is also a huge Hats fan. Victoria isn't with them anymore? I liked her - we had fun during our local Ren faire doing improvs...of course, my first love will always be Lucy.  :lol:

From what Carl said, she just "didn't make the trip". My hubby was very disappointed also. lol. Lucy is definitely my favorite.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/