Salem Pirate Faire

Yes, my dears, it be almost time for the 4th Annual Pirate Faire in Salem , Mass on Sept 16 and 17. This years theatrical presentation deals with the last two weeks in the life of Edward Teach, Blackbeard, cullminating in his demise by Lt Maynard. Set just outside of Salem, Mass, at Winter Island Park, the fair takes place in an old stone gun emplacement/fort in the park. Aside from having a fair actually on a ship, this is about as piratey surroundings as you may hope to find. The troupe that does the show are real actors, and they do one hell of a job! There will be vendors and music from several bands, including The Brigands, and we have free reign from the King of Salem to fire cannon at will, so the smell of blck powder smoke and the sounds of piracy will never be far off!

Hope ta see all o' ye New England pirates there!

Here is the link - http://www.pastimes1.com/pirate.html

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to be hearing some talk of the Salem Pirate Faire. I have my sights set on attending as a Merchant and I might even use the event for the christening and public launch of the first in a line of little Pirate "ships"

The "Black Seal" (its current working name) is based upon a 12' Stevenson Skipjack. I will be offering them both as kits and finished boats. If any one is interested in taking a look here's the link to the woefully neglected blog from when I started the prototype. I really need to update that..

Boatbuilding Grog Blargh

... and that's just things that float! I will also have my full line of handmade craft items, all with a Piratical Theme.

So let's here from anyone else planning to go to the Salem Pirate Faire.

Captain Darrike

:lol:

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

The "Black Seal" (its current working name) is based upon a 12' Stevenson Skipjack. I will be offering them both as kits and finished boats. If any one is interested in taking a look here's the link to the woefully neglected blog from when I started the prototype. I really need to update that..

Boatbuilding Grog Blargh

... and that's just things that float! I will also have my full line of handmade craft items, all with a Piratical Theme.

So let's here from anyone else planning to go to the Salem Pirate Faire.

...and in your case, once you get out on the water, you could always attempt the old nautical term "Hudson River Jibe". :blink::lol:

SHIP2-1.jpg

...and in your case, once you get out on the water, you could always attempt the old nautical term "Hudson River Jibe".

Aye.. a maneuver I know well. The Tappan Zee stretch of the Hudson is my homeport area. The Hudson River Jibe can be a bit of a "timber shiverer" especially when the wind is up. "Reef early and often" they say around here.

So, do we have many Mates here in the NorthEast that might be making for this event? It would be surely nice to yarn on a bit with others "Out on the Account."

Cutter, this will be our second year there and the crowd last year was very good. I shuld think that you would do well. If you have a finished boat, you might want to ask about mooring it off shore from the 'cliff' to diisplay her, or maybe on a trailer within the faire. Good luck mate and we'll see ye there, just follow the sound of music or cannon fire. That'd be us, The Brigands.

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Odds Fish! This post on an event in Salem is turning out all the "Brethren" in me own backwaters.

"Islanders" are ye? That's me birthplace. And Matusalem right here in these Costal Woodlands to me South.

So, this Salem Faire draws some crowds... that would be good. Are we talking hundreds or thousands? Either way, I am sure it will be great fun. Salem is always an "interesting" town to explore.

Well, back to carving and gilding for me. Got to earn me dubloons.

So, it is not a huge event, but it does seem as though it will be a fun event. It seems like a great location. I don't think that we could ask for better than an Island with camping.

To those who have attended in the past... Did you camp or did you find lodgings off island?

I am hoping that there will be a bit of a "Gathering" around a fire, after the event.

• 2 weeks later...

I be attending ye Salem faire this yar. Hope to see me Pub mates there abouts. I may be a possible vendor so be looking for the Scupper.

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 1 month later...

After - skirmish report: Sat was rainey, which put a bit of a damper on the cannon fire ( we were lucky to get off the opening round, blasted powder being so hyrdoscopic). Cleared up in the PM and a few more patrons were to be found.

Sunday, beautiful cool day and they had a record day, we got off all 4 scheduled cannon firings, with the 3:30 demo including 5 small arms shots. All our shows were well attended and we moved a LOT of CDs and the merchants were pretty satisfied.

Plans are to expand the event next year to adjacent areas.

The event story line was as usual well acted, with the fight scenes particularly well done.

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands