Torches

Does anyone know how to make a long lasting torch to carry around at a night time event?

Last time I found a nice piece of driftwood, wrapped the end in a long strip of muslin, wrapped that tightly in wire, and soaked that in pine pitch for a week.

When it came to lighting it, it worked great for all of 5 minutes.

Has anyone tried another type of formula or have a solution for it to last about 30 minutes?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Sorry no one has responded to your post, maybe like me, they are trying to experiment before sending you an answer. I googled for torches on the internet and found some stuff, but it didn't sound too different from what you did, though they said that their time of light lasted a lot longer.

Are you looking for historically accurate? or just a hollywood, find the monster kind of torch?

I swear that in some movies, I have seen the outline of a felt A-1 oil filter for oil fired furnaces as the top of the torch. (I use that type filter in my home furnace) I was going to try to see if that, soaked in some mix of oil, fat, and melted wax might make a long lasting torch. I figure some sort of cup at the bottom third to catch any 'mix' that might melt before burning, so that the hands holding the torch will have some protection of it dribbling down the shaft.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that even though your post was not answered, people were thinking

about it.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

i have used rolls of toilet paper wraped tightly in burlap and twisted closed with wire with a pole and can under it soaked in kerosene and they have lasted for over an hour but we weren't carrying them around they were just stuck in the ground .....if that helps

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I've made small torches for juggling... they were metal rod with a hole drilled through them, then lamp wick wrapped around and wired (through the hole, so the wick doesn't fly off)

I used tiki torch fuel for them.... but like your torches.... they don't burn very long.....

From what I can figure, is the fuel burns off the wick... once that is gone then the wick would burn... (I put the juggling ones out befor that happens)

Then I dunk them back into the fuel, and re-light them....

I was also hoping someone had a better solution.......for longer burning torches........

I too am interested to see fi there are any better ways to do this. I thought about some kinda of candle wax, but that would probably drip and get all over you. (and burn) Maybe our ideas of torches is also askew from hollywood?

Maybe they really never burned long and it was only used in dire need. Probably why candles and lantern were popular. I don't know just random thoughts on the subject.

We don't often think of them...and even I didn't until this thread...but you could buy professional juggling torches and modify them. They make torches specifically for burning. They are small, lightweight, and ready to go.

Someone with more money than me should research them and make a pirate version for testing in the field. Just not a dry field.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I talked to a fire juggler last week, that told me he uses wrapped denim during his act. I took his advice and built several by tightly wrapping about 14 4' strips on each. I wrapped this in wire and moments before we stormed the event dunked them in gasoline and lit them. He said it is important to not soak them for long, because they will burn out fast. The gas acts as an accelerant and the denim burns slowly yet consistantly. I would say we got about 20-30 minutes out of each. Several worked very well because they lit us perfectly, so that everyone can see our "get- ups" at night.

Also found an effective way for smoke grenados. I wrapped three of the larger smoke stick fireworks together with duct tape. Wrapped the fuses together and covered the bundle in burlap. 4 of these put out alot of smoke for our entrance. With the muskets and pistols firing, smoke in the air, and 6 pirates rushing in with torches, the event planner got her money's worth!

P.S. We got 2 inches of rain the night before, so no worries about a fire hazzard.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldnt be to difficult to make a fuel chamber with a wick just like tiki torch.

Thats what they do for the Olympic torches.

There is a fuel chamber with a large wick that runs the length of the hollow shaft. at the end the wick joins a diffuser and turns the liquid fuel into a gas and burns.

The diffuser keeps a steady flow of fuel to the flame allowing for a slow burn of the liquid fuel in the chamber.

Its not a traditional torch but it will last longer.