Bow and Arrow

Jib

In a mid-17th century broadside ballad entitled Robin Hood's Fishing, Robin uses his longbow to defend a Yorkshire fishing vessel from maurading French pirates:

http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/teams/fishing.htm

Robin Hood asks the captain of the fishing vessel to tie him to the mast (echoing the tale of Odysseus, another famous archer) in order to steady his aim. He then shoots the helmsman of the pirate ship through the heart.

The tone of the ballad suggests that the use of a bow and arrow on a ship in this manner would have been considered a very unusual and surprising tactic.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Even though bow and arrow were used by Europeans in the New World, that was mainly in the 16th century. I grant you that the New World was not first priority in the weapons market, but the bucanneers would have been armed with the best weapons they could obtain and the easiest ones they could use. The matchlock or flintlock muskets were easier to learn how to use than bow and arrow, and these men did prefer muskets. Bow and arrow: highly unlikely, most likely no.

I have a probate somewhere of a Port Royal Mariner in the 1680s which includes a steel cross bow.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Mixing time frames a lot here but there is a case where a bow was used on a hot LZ in Vietnam so the wierd can happen any where anytime. (for those wondering the bow was brought on a raid by a SOG opertive who fired it during the fire fight apparently just to see what would happen. His original intent was to use it as silent way to take prisoners.) I agree that a bow is most unlikely but.....

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

In 1677 Lord Vaughan left Jamaica, and Sir Henry Morgan once more became Lieutenant-Governor. He was again Lieutenant-Governor in 1680. This was the same Henry Morgan who, in 1668, attacked Porto Bello on the Isthmus of Panama, and plundered it. In 1671, leading a body of buccaneers from Jamaica, he attacked and captured the old city of Panama, plundered it and burnt it to the ground

-------

In 1687 the Duke of Albemarle as Governor. With him came Sir Hans Sloane as his physician. Sir Hans Sloane wrote two large volumes on Jamaica. Albemarle favoured Sir Henry Morgan, who died in 1688 and was buried with honours at Port Royal

Perhaps the answer is in one of those two texts if you can locate them. It would be an interesting read at any rate.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Longbows and crossbows alike were passe before 1600. But, anything's possible.

Crossbows are sometimes used to this day by special operations groups, for silent work.

Butchers and divers still use chain mail, for that matter.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"