Black Powder Chargers

Does anybody know a good place to buy period wood or tin black powder chargers? I'm open to constructing my own but the lack of proper tools and workspace would result in something a bit simpler than what I would like. Read as hollowed out dowel rods. :lol:

Thanks,

Pogue, still not wearing pants...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

i usually recommend a cartridge box (a wooden block with holes drilled in it covered with at least a leather flap) with pre-made paper cartridges that are made with a piece of newsprint paper rolled around a dowel rod; to form the tube that powder is measured into the ends are folded over to keep the powder in and then you have 10-30 shots ready to load as you will a simple brass or even plastic measure can be used to load the paper cartridges the morning of an event

an example from Godwins

Thanks for the response, but I'm not into live firing. Yet, anyway... I've already created a holster with a modified cartridge box attached to it. But it has always bothered me. Pirate, water, cartridge just sitting in a box... I wanted to get something that was a little more water-resistant for my next holster. I do appreciate the response. I want to get into live firing sometime in the future and I'll be hitting up everybody for advice on that. Gotta get a real pistol first. I'm currently on a waiting list for one of the new flintlocks over at Middlesex Village. Here is a pic of my last holster. :ph34r:

493912511_51825c78a5.jpg

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

cartridge boxes were used on board ship as well lad ....mainly because you weren't always on board ship when you fought ....and why create a second piece of equipment to do the same job ......one if by land and two if by sea (i have heard that somewheres) .....no! one worked both places ...i load my blank cartridges in mine all the time i just designate which is a live fire round and which is a blank round and never load both in the same box at the same time

If you take the GAoP as 1680-1720, bandoliers of bottles (apostles is a 19th century term) are definitely period for the first 20 years. Matchlocks were in service with the British Army until 1711. Smaller regiments and trained bands were still using bandoliers at that time, even if the prestige regiments had changed to battalion boxes and belly boxes.

<_<

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thank ye mates, you pointed me in the right direction.

Little bit of history on the subject:

The correct term, as used in the Scots Ordinance Papers, was 'Collar of Bandoliers.' The leather strap was called the 'Collar,' and the individual charges were called 'bandoliers.' Modern usage of the term 'bandolier' has been transferred to the collar, or leather strap, itself, summoning images of swaggering Mexican revolutionaries. In New Model Army contracts the individual charges were referred to as 'boxes' -- a very good example of how terms can alter slightly, or perhaps subtly, to cause confusion to the unwary during the same period of history.

The term 'Apostles' was naturally given to a collar of bandoliers -- or simply 'bandoliers' for short -- due to the fact that they commonly numbered twelve during the 16th and 17th centuries.

There Were No Twelve Apostles , By Robert Giglio