"The Ninth Gate"

Lady Alyx

I just caught this flick last night. I didn't think it was too bad of a mystery movie. There were a couple of corny bits at the end, but Johnny did a good job of protraying the character. I know this movie is old, but just saw it for the first time. I was wondering what others thought and what other Johnny Depp movie's they liked.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

I tried to watch the Libertine but it was so dark in the beginning I did not watch the rest. I will have to make it a point to watch the whole movie.

Ed Wood...ah yes...another one to take note on that I have to watch.

Lady Alyx

Dark in content or literally dark? Much of the movie was shot in period-correct candle light giving the film a wonderfully grainy, gritty feel. Takes a few minutes to get used to, after our decades of Hollywood-style glamour lighting. This one is amazingly realistic feeling. Definitely give it another go! :lol:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I like all his stuff to be honest

Secret Window

The Libertine

From Hell

Don Juan DeMarco

Sleepy Hollow

Blow

FINDING NEVERLAND..that one was really good but made me cry..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Joshua, definetely not because of the lighting but of the content when the movie started. It was tough to see him as such a morose character in the beginning. I def want to watch it however all the way through, I just had a tough time seeing Johnny portray a character like that.

Secret Window I saw from around half way through to the end. Def want to watch it the whole way through.

Lady Alyx

......spooky i bought 9th gate last week too. Not sure if it was one i would watch repeatedly. Although it seems to be one of his films that you need to watch more than once to fully understand the workings of the charature he plays.

Found another of JD's films whilst shopping today.... well it would be rude not to purchase it.....

Ninth gate is grand as is the Libertine,, though that one seems to make all his others pale by comparison

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

- Benny & Joon

- What's Eating Gilbert Grape

- From Hell

- Sleepy Hollow

- the pirates trilogy

I've not seen the Libertine yet, because it wasn't out in theatres here in Belgium and our local rental place has only one copy that's currently under reservation 'till the 17th of July (and seeing I'm not in the country then, I'll have to make a reservation at on the 20th when I'm home again).

I know it's not a movie, but I quite liked him in 21 Jump Street :)

I do remember Cry Baby, and while that's a fun movie, I wouldn't say it's one of his better parts.

I did see the Ninth Gate some years ago, and I wasn't that keen on it then. My brother Roel loves it though, and was raving about it to my boyfriend last month. Bert has yet to get around to renting it, but I'm sure we'll see it either this or next week.