Muskets

depinux

Hey all, I've been browsing various muzzle loading sites looking for the best prices for a long land brown bess. The best I've been able to come up with for a working musket is from the Middlesex village trading company for about $600, complete with sling and bayonet, hammerstall and flashguard.

I was wondering if anyone else has found any good prices for a brown bess musket. (Or if you purchased one from MVTCo, I'd like to get your input about it.)

Cheers! :huh:

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

Depunix, I am not an authority on any aspect of the GAoP. But if you are representing the GAoP, I think the Brown Bess is a little late. I only mention this because a musket is a significant expense, and you might want to get something a little more period, if that matters to you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye, truth be told, I'm going to be getting into Rev War reenacting in the near future, and I figured I'd ask here because there are a lot of savvy people. A period musket doesn't matter to me at my current status because I have wanted a Brown Bess for a long time. I do however appreciate you pointing that out to me as I don't have much knowledge of the GAoP, so thank you! :huh:

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

the earliest brown bess's were made at dublin castle around 1720 a little late but still close but it depends on what your intent is ....as to spanning from the late GAOP to rev war it would do in a pinch ...but since you have stated that you've wanted a BB for awhile go for it ....MVTCo is a good company and their weapons are of the first rate ....and you won't be paying the higher impost duty or shipping that you would from loyalist or others :huh::huh::huh: and they stand behind every gun they sell with very good free service policy