cannon

Silver

i have been thinking about getting the 1/2 scale 1810 6 pounder "british naval" from wilds inports. asking if anyone has done bought from these folks and if this is a good piece for pirates or early 1700's. thank for your imputs.

I have bought from Wild Imports. Let me start by saying I like my cannon I bought from them. Now with that said......,I have have learned alot about cannons and knowing what I now know I would not do it again.

For 1 it is not "Bronze ....., It is brass.

For 2 it should have at least a 1/2 steel Seemless DOM liner to be approved by the NSA if you ever plan to fire it at an event (Or at least to be safe-Remember a cannon will out live you there fore be sure they are built right or someday someone may get hurt). The liner they use is a 1/16" stainless tube..., not 1/2 DOM.

For 3 the common rule of thumb according to the NSA is the breech walls should be at least one caliber thick in any direction. ---- Mine is not...., Mine has a 1.75 bore there fore the breech should be 5 1/4 minimum ..,its not its 3 3/4.

I fire blanks only in my Wild Imports..,and use my real cannons for shot.

Please again I am not putting down Wild Imports.....,, but the truth is in the measurements. I like my wild Imports cannon....., but regardless of what they say on their web-site lead shot would not be safe to fire in their cannons. So long as you know that.....,and understand that when you are dead and gone..., the next person to inherate this cannon may get hurt....., not knowing much about cannon constuction. This is why Cannons should always be OVER-BUILT

Remember it is NOT a big muzzleloader......, its a cannon..,and the ballistics of a 1" bore and up change the volitility of blackpowder tremendously and compound it more as bore size increases. (Guns are below 1" - Cannons are 1" and up bores).

Now with all this said I have the HMS Victory Salute gun ., Perhaps the model your after is triple the bore size in the breech (this would be correct) and has a 1/2 DOM liner and is truly 660 bronze....., not brass. but personally I would ask......, and remember they are tying to sell you something.

Their are alot of good cannon makers out there .., you maybe surprised..., you just have to look a bit . Remember..,breaking the common rules of a safe build..., is what gives more restrictions and takes away from our rights.

Good Luck .,Be Safe and we can all Enjoy.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"