Black powder

Abrams

Well, since I'm new to this game, I was wondering about black powder (for firing pistols and whatnot.)

Where is it possible to purchase black powder?

And also, how legal is it?

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

The answer to your questions is somewhat based on where you live and wish to use black powder.

Some states are more difficult, (like NJ where I am java script:emoticon(' :blink: ') ) but in less restrictive states, black powder for fun and sport is usually available wherever other amunition is sold. Black Powder can even be ordered through the internet. However, if you are included in the states in the following paragraph, you need to check out your local ordinances, (really a good idea no mater what state you live in, that way there will be no nasty surprise.) funny thing, years ago I bought 50 lb for my cannon's and mortar's, back when I lived in Michigan, and there was not trouble at all doing it, but that was over 20 years ago, now they are on the list below.

"The sale of all black powder firearms and ammunition is regulated by law in the following areas: Michigan, Illinois, California, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Puerto Rico. Shipping is either illegal or requires some type of license or document exchange. In either case, we do not ship blackpowder firearms to these areas. Check your local and state laws before ordering."

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Ah, thanks. I'm surprised New York isn't on that list!

Another question (more or less pertaining to the subject), when most people nowadays fire their flintlocks (let's say, at a festival), are they using ammo or just blanks?

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

with crowds around it's usually blanks ....some places have approved ranges to be able to fire live rounds .....but it's usually safe to assume if you are allowed to fire at an event it will be just blank loads ...and most better events have a safety inspection of your weapon to make sure it is safe to fire around the general public and will hold safety meetings for all that intend to fire their weapons.... :lol::lol::lol:

Mate, we be here in Suffolk county , same as you. We buys 25lb at a time from powder inc, and UPS ships it to me door. Goex FF and FFF for cannon and flintlocks and FFFF for primer. We never shoot ball here on the Island, theres no place thats safe and legal, but blanks? Hell we shoot them alla time. The one time the cops showed up, I demonstrated that we are a theatrical group ( The Brigands) and that we were just practising and they went away. Remember, 'locks and muzzleloaders are not considered firearms by the ATF ( they are technically toys).

http://powderinc.com

If'n ye be on Long Island, how is it we've not seen ye at the Pirates Cove Deli on Sundays, supportin' the local pirate band?

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I've yet to purchase a flintlock(I'm trying my best to find an affordable model or kit), I've looked into general supplies.

Being in Jersey, where NOTHING is allowed EVER, it's hard to find. Thankfully I'm piss-distance from the border, so I can hop into PA whenever I want.

In Pennsylvania, even WalMart carries black powder for muzzle-loaders. Not even behind the counter, just on the shelves in a jug.

Speaking of black powder, anyone ever try Killdevil?

Speaking of black powder, anyone ever try Killdevil?

If yer referin' to rum with gunpowder......

yah...I have....

I thought it would taste bad....

I've gotten black powder in my mouth tearing cartridges open....

but when mixed with rum, all it does is change the color of the rum....

It's suppose to make ya a bit crazy tho...... :huh:

In Pennsylvania, even WalMart carries black powder for muzzle-loaders. Not even behind the counter, just on the shelves in a jug.

You saw Black Powder on a shelf in a PA Walmart? Are you sure? I bet it was Pyrodex. Real Black powder has to be stored in a specific type of magazine until sale. I'm near Harrisburg PA and I had to drive many many miles to one of the few gun shops still willing to deal with the BP regs.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

The Feds are makin it so hard to get and keep for a vendor its just not worth it for most venfors. It is another loss of our freedom.,in a big way...,expect more loss as time moves foreward. Also the substitutes are just that...,substitutes.,not the real thing., test after test shows them to be more corrosive to your bores than Black Powder. and the subs are harder to clean. Also any idiot can make a bomb from pyrodex or whatever else. The idea of banning black powder isnt solving any problem. It creates them for muzzle loaders . We need black powder for flint ignition. I am disgusted with this regulation. I dont believe black powder is ever going to come back the way it was.

I tried some Pyrodex when it first came out..... I'll stick with good old Black Powder......
Amen to that Mr. Hand

Capt Thighbiter's link to http://powderinc.com/ is actually my favorite also ...,they will get your order filled.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

It's not just the Fed's that are making it hard.

got this from the NRA on Wednesday about my not so great state of New Jersey.....

""The New Jersey State Assembly is considering A3943, sponsored by Assemblyman John Burzichelli (D-3) and Assemblyman Frederick Scalera (D-36), which would increase the permit fees to manufacture, store, sell, transport, or use explosive material by 100%. A3943 would also increase the penalties associated with violations of this law to as much as $25,000 for a first offense and up to $100,000 for any subsequent offenses.

A3943 includes smokeless and black powder used by many hunters and shooters. From the manufacturer on down, these onerous fee increases will be pressed down to the consumers of smokeless and black powder.""

I wrote to my representatives, pointing out how this will make it more and more difficult for Hunters, shooters, and reenactors to continue in their hobby. But then, NJ is one of two states that banned

sling shots of all things. Hope no one gets any ideas from these anti gun nut cases in NJ. Living here is bad enough, but at least there is the hope to move somewhere someday where things may be better.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Actually I cant buy it in Washington state anymor. Its not just NJ...,its all over..., I think its downto12 or 13 states now that sell it......., nice yea?

Hope no one gets any ideas from these anti gun nut cases in NJ. Living here is bad enough, but at least there is the hope to move somewhere someday where things may be better.

Oh man.,dont start me on my Freedom Rant ..,yup I already found a way out of here and with WAY more freedom. I am happy now ! :lol:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"