Davy Jones Locker - POTC

Lady Alyx

:o

It was a joke. Bucket boots are not considered period correct for sailors in the GAoP. Go and ask them which bucket boots are most period correct in Captain Twill (but be prepared to step back from the backlash.) :o

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I remember from the DVD extra from DMC about the sash material for Jack's wardrobe...how they had to go back to a little mountain village in Turkey or Afghanistan or something to get it woven. Long trip for a bit of material...but oh how much fun it would be to scouring the world for just the right bit. Or, it is just as much fun as experimenting with distressing techniques. I remember the techniques that were discussed for Michael Jackson's "Triller"....the zombie outfits where litteraly dragged through the streets.

One of the cable networks had a great mini series about Odysseus "The Odyssey". Calypso was Vannessa Williams and wow..she was a hrny thing in it for him.

IMDB

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Kinda funny....

All three PotC movies were nothing more than a rollicing good fun time......

Hey.. and they were a lotsa fun...........

anyone that wants to argue how "authentic" they are ......

eeergh.....

They were nothing more than fun movies.........

If you don't beleave that.... check out my post in Plunder about "an authertic Ninja Katana".......

Some people just "don't get it..."

The cool thing about the Pub.... we can discuss Authentic Pyracy.... and at the same time ... fun(Hollywood) Pyrate stuff....

Without going "there"......

I'm going to have another Rum......

We all can play Pyrate however we want to.......

and hopefully appriceate both sides O' th" arguement.......

I don't mean to drag period into this, I was just playing on Iron Bess's comment that the clothes "..DO look old." I think my post missed having inflection, although I tried to indicate that with the emoticons.

Would it make more sense like this?

Didn't every pirate wear bucket boots?

Period is only something I recently became aware of and must confess still only mildly concerns me. My connection to piracy stems from the old POTC Zap!-Action models. (Which were, naturally, very concerned with period.)

I still don't quite get why they'd cut up antique table covers to make a "period-looking" outfit for a show that, in most respects, isn't really all that concerned with period, except as window dressing. But I'm sort of a collector at heart and know what happens to their value when you modify antiques. (Which, when all is said and done, even that sentiment is really sort of silly, actually. Still, I love finding old, unmodified things - like my Art Deco bedroom set. :unsure: )

"Am I not?"

I suspect they cut up old lace tableclothes as trying to "age" lace with a cement mixer proved quite unreliable. Seamstresses have been cutting up old lace tableclothes with holes in them for centuries, using the lace to embelish pillow cases.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Except Calypso turned into an army of stone crabs. It's hard to love an army of stone crabs, methinks. (Although, admittedly, I haven't tried.)

I don't remember it clearly, but I had the impression that she is the physical embodiment of one (or more) heathen god(s). The first Brethren's Court what met long ago turned the heathen god(s) into Calypso as punishment or to trap it/them or something like that, didn't they? Not a very stable sort of lover, I wouldn't suppose...

Calypso is the heathen Goddess of the Sea.

She could pretty much shapeshift to _any_ shape right up to the moment the Pirate Court bound her into the shape of Tia Dalma. She maintained a small amount of her power, but shapeshifting wasn't a power she kept.

She actually said that very clearly to Davey Jones when she was locked up. How hard it was for her to be bound to just one shape.

When she was released, she regained all her powers, including that to shift in whatever form she wishes.

indeed

i'm one of the ones who wished Davy Jones had remained in some form, rather than being replaced by Will Turner =p

And to whoever warned against leaving your heart with Elizabeth, "indeed," to that too =p

:lol:

61jctci.jpg

Kinda funny....

eeergh.....

If you don't beleave that.... check out my post in Plunder about "an authertic Ninja Katana".......

The cool thing about the Pub.... we can discuss Authentic Pyracy.... and at the same time ... fun(Hollywood) Pyrate stuff....

agreed :)

61jctci.jpg

Kinda funny....

eeergh.....

agreed :) 

BluePuppy Posted on Jun 30 2007, 06:04 AM

QUOTE (HildeKitten @ Jun 24 2007, 12:36 PM)

QUOTE (Caraccioli @ Jun 21 2007, 05:04 PM)

Except Calypso turned into an army of stone crabs. It's hard to love an army of stone crabs, methinks. (Although, admittedly, I haven't tried.)

I don't remember it clearly, but I had the impression that she is the physical embodiment of one (or more) heathen god(s). The first Brethren's Court what met long ago turned the heathen god(s) into Calypso as punishment or to trap it/them or something like that, didn't they? Not a very stable sort of lover, I wouldn't suppose... 

Calypso is the heathen Goddess of the Sea.

She could pretty much shapeshift to _any_ shape right up to the moment the Pirate Court bound her into the shape of Tia Dalma. She maintained a small amount of her power, but shapeshifting wasn't a power she kept.

She actually said that very clearly to Davey Jones when she was locked up. How hard it was for her to be bound to just one shape.

When she was released, she regained all her powers, including that to shift in whatever form she wishes. 

indeed

i'm one of the ones who wished Davy Jones had remained in some form, rather than being replaced by Will Turner =p

And to whoever warned against leaving your heart with Elizabeth, "indeed," to that too =p

Aye, tis something I agree with ye all thoroughly!!

And we can also agree that these fun films certainly

brought out more awareness of, enjoyment in, and desire to learn more about the actual role of pyracy in the world, than before they were released. Not to mention the desire to do what we do here, and have more pyratical events around the country, and the world.

Before POTC, pyratical functions and all were a fraction of what they have become now. DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO!!! :lol::P:P:P:P

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I don't expect authentic. I have to deal with it all the bleedin' time with the Rev War reenactments to be perfectly 100% Colonial and period. So, Piracy... if I so choose to, I like the fantasy, historical fiction, legend and lore you read in novels/books, the hollywood styles you see on film, and the all around what you know loosely of pirates that you see out there. It's what captured me in the first place when I was young. It was treasure and treasure maps, galleons and cannons, pistols and swords, fancy dressed Captains with iron fists, Hooks and eyepatches, skeletons and ghost ships, and so much more!

And it's the kids who go for that. It's what captures their attention! They LOVE Jack Sparrow cause he's just that type of pirate to capture their imaginations. To a kid... they don't think about authentic... they think about fun!

Heck, for all we know about the Locker now... Jones could be forever locked in his Locker, doomed to remain there for eternity. Not giving up what is sent there. Or he could have been taken to the other side by Turner. Or he became a part of the Sea with Calypso. :::Shrugs::: so much one can believe there.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I think i'm in the same camp as you are, what initially dragged me into the pirates thing is the lore and the fantasy. of course i am interested in the historical accuracy part too, i'd like to participate in some faires and maybe even re-enactments, but i find that a person of my "type" doesn't generally fit into history in a very good place

except with pirates

with pirates, i could be whatever the heck i wanted, which was one thing i always loved about them

but anyway, that's why i agree with Patrick Hand

"we all can play pyrate however we want to"

I like reading captain twill already, because there's so much information to absorb and you really don't find scholarly talk about ANYTHING much anymore =p which is sad... and i've always been in love with authentic period clothing and speech *swoon* but i'm also hoping to find some things to do when i move where it won't matter quite so much that my costume in it's current state is not accurate at all, because i plan to bring it up to speed, but i don't want to sit on the sidelines until i do =p

AAAANYWAY, when i saw the end of the movie, i settled in my brain that, when he muttered "Calypso" before he died, she would've heard, knowing that despite everything, he'd loved her to the end (which is something pretty much any chick will swoon over, even if she IS a heathen goddess) and took him with her. Since there's really no way they could've been together with things the way they were anyway. He was "claimed by the sea," as it were =p

Davy Jones is one of those villains that it's hard to not like =p Because I'm sure if it was possible to grow tentacles from our faces, there would be TONS of people walking around just like him, full of spite over a betrayal by a lover. =p And even though he'd become "The Devil," it's very hard not to identify with him, because what made him change was something very human.

[/ramble]

61jctci.jpg

i'd like to participate in some faires and maybe even re-enactments, but i find that a person of my "type" doesn't generally fit into history in a very good place except with pirates

Eh?

AAAANYWAY, when i saw the end of the movie, i settled in my brain that, when he muttered "Calypso" before he died, she would've heard, knowing that despite everything, he'd loved her to the end (which is something pretty much any chick will swoon over, even if she IS a heathen goddess) and took him with her. Since there's really no way they could've been together with things the way they were anyway. He was "claimed by the sea," as it were

Somewhere in the midst of this discussion, it had half occurred to me that this is sort of a part of the recurring theme running through this series. In CotBP, Jack was in love with the sea because it represented freedom to him. Now we have this restated, only the deity Calypso has been created as a sort of embodiment of the seas (and perhaps, more to point, as an embodiment of the wildness of the seas) and Davy was in love with her. Just a thot.

"Am I not?"

well, just because of history, i always end up as a servant or something, or having to play dumb, uneducated roles =p because back in "those days" that's how it was

and i choose not to re-enact that history

etc etc

but i could be a pirate or some sort of sea-farer, if i wanted to =p blah blah blah, etc etc

but there are lots of restated themes in the movies

for instance, in DMC, when Jack is made king of that tribe of people, they believed him to be a god in human form and they wanted to release him from his body

just like tia dalma is a goddess in human form and the brethren court wants to release her from her body

(except they dont have to eat her =p)

61jctci.jpg

Oh, ah. I should have been paying more attention. Pirates were certainly one of the few egalitarian societies that are re-enacted. Interesting point.

Actually, the writing is often quite clever in the series. There are lots of circles and circles within circles. Unfortunately a lot of that seems to get lost in the fascination with various characters, the supernatural CG stuff and the noise and confusion of having the blow things up. (Good ol' Bruckheimer.) If I weren't hanging around here still talking about this, I don't think I would have noticed half of the clever writing bits.

"Am I not?"

Hmmmm, and then there's that comment that Jack and Tia had between each other..."I thought I knew you"....knew as in Biblical sense...but they dispell that....then how well where they aquainted...just friends.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Hmmmm, and then there's that comment that Jack and Tia had between each other..."I thought I knew you"....knew as in Biblical sense...but they dispell that....then how well where they aquainted...just friends.

Why do you think that? After all, she's as changeable and untameable as the sea. I think that's exactly what Jack meant by 'I thought I knew you', as in, 'the Biblical sense'. Just because she loves Davy Jones 'truly', it doesn't mean she's chaste.

And wasn't she the fourth person who tried to kill Jack? to which she said, "don't tell me you didn't enjoy it at the time."

Hmmmm, and then there's that comment that Jack and Tia had between each other..."I thought I  knew you"....knew as in Biblical sense...but they dispell that....then how well where they aquainted...just friends.

Why do you think that? After all, she's as changeable and untameable as the sea. I think that's exactly what Jack meant by 'I thought I knew you', as in, 'the Biblical sense'. Just because she loves Davy Jones 'truly', it doesn't mean she's chaste.

And wasn't she the fourth person who tried to kill Jack? to which she said, "don't tell me you didn't enjoy it at the time."

yeah exactly

i'm pretty sure that's what they were both getting at, especially since tia follows it by "not as well as i had hoped" =p

aaaaaaand she makes similar hints at will with "what service may i do you?" =p it's all in the body language and tone of voice

she's such a gnarly character =p

61jctci.jpg