Early Sparrow concept with Kilt?

Tartan Jack

A friend of mine insists that he once saw an early concept drawing of Jack Sparrow as a kilt clad Scotsman.

First, I am wondering IF there is such a drawing.

Assuming above is TRUE-

Second, IF I can get my hands on a copy of it.

Waiting impatiently,

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I saw an early sketch o' Jack Sparrow, wit' no dreads, or gold teeth and a thin mustache. Looked like Errol Flynn sort o' pirate. Didn't see any drawin's wit' a kilt.

'Course ye never know wot may surface one day; those folks at Disney do lots o' drawin'!

Kilt or slops....

depends on wot ye wanna see....

well knowing ye 'ave a preference fer those stupid male skirts......... :unsure:

Hey... if someone stole my trousers... i'd kilt(d) them also...... ;)

<the joke works better when you say it than typing it....>

I don't know of anything like that, but if there were a concept sketch, your best chance of finding it that I know of might be in the book I had mentioned in another thread. It's called The Art of Pirates of the Caribbean: Stem to Stem.

This whole post brings to mind a sort of hazy, vague recollection of Depp talking in one of his several "playing against type/looks" discussions or interviews. He may have mentioned such a thing as a possibility - if that's not just a mental fabrication of mine, it could be the source of your friend's idea. (Our mind works in terms of images, not words. We have to learn language and, although we appear to be predisposed to do so, the average human brain has been shown to work naturally in pictures. So our minds can sometimes play funny tricks on us and transform ideas into images. This isn't to say there isn't concept art, however. It's just a thot because I seem to recall reading about the idea somewhere in relationship to Depp, but not necessarily in relationship to the filmmakers.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

A friend of mine insists that he once saw an early concept drawing of Jack Sparrow as a kilt clad Scotsman.

First, I am wondering IF there is such a drawing.

Assuming above is TRUE-

Second, IF I can get my hands on a copy of it.

Waiting impatiently,

Sorry love... there was never a concept drawing done HERE with Jack in a kilt.

Someone else somewhere else may have done one... but not that the production ever considered or knew of. :ph34r:

That said... have one done up! :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Thanks Bess,

It was a friend I know through Scot-related things. We were talking about the "artistic process" and how ideas develop. He insisted that Disney had toyed with the idea of making Sparrow a kilt-wearing Scot. I have NEVER seen one nor HEARD of it, except from him.

I looked and didn't see anything on-line, nor in Art of POTC. SO, I thought I would ask on here. If ANYONE knew one way or another, it would be here.

Thanks!!!!

Why would he be wearing a kilt if you're looking for Picts?

Pics, not picts...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Why would he be wearing a kilt if you're looking for Picts?

Pics, not picts...

"Picts" is a tongue-in-cheek variation I picked up many, many moons ago.

With my real interest in early Scottish (Albanach-> "of Alba" the old name for Scotland in the "native" dialect) history, it just cracks me up and people STILL get that I mean "pictures."

I do separate my silliness from my serious study of history.

The devolpment of the kilt from the belted plaid is VERY interesting and are the many questions on the Picts and how the interacted with the Scots, as the Scots come over from Ireland and "invaded" the Picts' land.

Now, back to topic.