Chickens onboard

@ Jen, up and down the east coast and any where else the crewe ends up...

@ Mission...surely ye jest? For that price I could get a few more great guns and a trailer..and pay any fines for hauling illegal birds over state lines

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Suit yourself. Me, I'd take a chicken robot over a great gun any day. (If offered one or the other, that is.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

sounds like a plan... I get the great gun and you get the gun fodder... I mean chicken robot...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The easiest thing would be be called the county extension agent in the county you want to transport the chickens to. They would be able to tell you their state's regulations regarding fowl.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

sounds like a plan... I get the great gun and you get the gun fodder... I mean chicken robot...

Correction . .

Robot Chicken.

cmCHICKEN_LARGE_070516015443470_wideweb__300x410.jpg

Robot+Chicken+10+Inch+Action+Figure+by+Jazwares.jpg

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Robot+Chicken+10+Inch+Action+Figure+by+Jazwares.jpg

Wasn't this one in Star Wars???? CLU2CK :blink:

Don't eat chickens with writing on their beaks. John 'Jack Shandy' Chandagnac

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I originally had it written 'robot chicken' then I realized someone would probably run the thread off the rails if I left it that way, so I changed it.

Ok, let's put the thread back on the rails. This is Twill, not Beyond after all. (I would still take a display robot over a cannon any day.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Back to topic.

I didn't realize there were issues w/ cross-state transportation of chickens. Learned something.

Anyone have any documentary evidence of coups? I was also wondering when reading this thread if it would be one-hen-per or of they would have a group in a coup.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Back to topic.

I didn't realize there were issues w/ cross-state transportation of chickens. Learned something.

Anyone have any documentary evidence of coups? I was also wondering when reading this thread if it would be one-hen-per or of they would have a group in a coup.

I seem to remember from a previous foodways symposium and other reading that livestock in general was allowed to roam loose and rounded up on an as-needed basis. And I remember reading primary accounts that talked about chickens hanging out in doorways under the eaves when it rained (and something about dust baths outside doorways, too). So I'm not sure coops were a common thing or if they were rounded up at night against foxes and put in the barn, or what. Free range is not a new idea, though. Just don't remember how they handled the nest for laying hens. I'll check and see if anyone else has covered that ground elsewhere.

And yes, interstate commerce and laws protecting farmers of one state from diseases in another go back a ways. It helps keep our crops and livestock healthy, but isn't something we think about in these days of food coming from across the globe. Just think about the blight that killed off the American Chestnuts (and yes, I know they're trying to make a comeback).

Here's a slightly later period work on breeding and raising domestic chickens courtesy of google books (the link dumps you at p. 360something):

The art of hatching and bringing up domestick fowls of all kinds at any time ...

By René-Antoine Ferchault de Réaumur

http://tinyurl.com/44go67t

There appears to be a very recognizable chicken coop in the back of p. 402. There are plates all over the place in this work, so it's worth scrolling through the whole work. There appear to be all sorts of containers used in the various phases of raising chickens, etc..

I found the info on this book here: http://dunghillfowl.blogspot.com/

You might find more information that is useful there, I'm not tackling it until tomorrow mellow.gif

Edited by jendobyns

• 10 months later...

THis is cool! I am working on an impression of a chicken crier - so I have a bit of information on this subject! First off, I have a good bit of chicken coop reference here:

http://www.ivanhenry.com/extras/16th_17th_18th_century_criers_market_vendors.html

I purchased some fake chickens here:

http://www.wildlifetreasures.com/chickens.htm

They look great!

As for the pens, I sourced a basket maker on Etsy who is excited to make them! I'll post pics when I'm done. Did I mention this impression is for my 75 year old father who wants to try reenactments!?

collage_lb_image_page39_17_1.pngcollage_lb_image_page39_0_1.png

I thought I'd throw some chicken references in here because I stumbled across this topic while looking for something else. There's a reference to pens shipboard from Pierre Labat's wonderful account. (Anyone who hasn't yet read The Memoirs of Pére Labat 1693-1705 really should make time for it. It is probably one of the richest accounts in detail that I have yet read. You'll most likely find a copy through your local library.)

“[in Cadiz] The fishermen and other people who always come alongside a ship when she arrives in port did not fail

__

on this occasion to offer us goods for sale, for the Spaniards suppose that any vessel coming from a long voyage must be short of everything. These men were therefore surprised when they saw our pens of full of chickens, pigs, sheep and goats that there was sufficient live stock on board for a return voyage to America. It is quite true that every ship is not always so well provisioned as we were, but M. Maureller, his niece and myself brought so many provisions and animals, etc., on board that we were obliged to send a quantity of poultry ashore before we sailed as there was no room for them, and it was not surprising that we had so many left when we arrived, although we frequently entertained the officers and passengers of the other ships on board our vessel during this voyage. Hence we only bought their peaches, apples and pears, and more especially their very fine grapes, of which our Demoiselle Creole at such an amount in spite of all her uncle told her, he was very frightened that she would be ill.” (Labat, p. 262)

“Besides the furniture in their canoes, the Caribs also bring parrots, iguanas, chickens, pigs, pineapples, bananas and crabs to trade with us [in Martinique].” (Labat, p. 78)

Hey parrot reference!!!!

I think that ofcource they were chickens aboard..

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I have parrot, monkey and even flying squirrel references.

Mission_banner5.JPG

These are absolutely awesome pics!

I don't remember why I didn't mention it earlier, the 18C Woman list had a bunch of resources like this, and there is at least one pic of someone with reproduction baskets like this packed on a horse (along with other stuff going to market) somewhere. Sadly (and this may be why I didn't go into it at the time) 18CWoman yahoo group was ditched by the owner and access to the files was lost. And someone there had located where she could have them made, too.

Let us know how the baskets work out! I may have other folks who are interested in them if they work.

And if your father wants to take this up at his age, more power to him!

THis is cool! I am working on an impression of a chicken crier - so I have a bit of information on this subject! First off, I have a good bit of chicken coop reference here:

http://www.ivanhenry...et_vendors.html

I purchased some fake chickens here:

http://www.wildlifet...om/chickens.htm

They look great!

As for the pens, I sourced a basket maker on Etsy who is excited to make them! I'll post pics when I'm done. Did I mention this impression is for my 75 year old father who wants to try reenactments!?

collage_lb_image_page39_17_1.pngcollage_lb_image_page39_0_1.png