Barbossa style slops..........................

I'm looking for anyone who might make the Barbossa style slops, or possibly a pattern for them. Mind you I'm not looking for some cheap drawstring for the waist type. Rather something that is nicely pleated at the top with either drop or button front, and a nice buttoned cuff below the knee. Of course I could be using the wrong term for the item of clothing. Ideas, suggestions?

Ahoy, Smoolie...

I posted something under the Twill thread. But will do the same here.

At current I don't care about the historics of it, since the costumers of PotC did it, I won't argue with them on issues.

But here is a pic of the actual pantaloons:

barbossapants.jpg

Now, I made m'self a pair very much like those. They are easy enough to make really. And I used a simple Simplicity pattern (which that pattern is now out of print). Oddly enough, I still have that pattern.

Yo'r choice, can either make the pantaloons for ya or whip up a pattern for ya. Or you can take the image there and have someone else conjure somethin' up for ye.

Notice though... the front is not a fly but more like a french front that buttons down all the way.

~Lady B

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Goto Gentleman of Fortunes page....

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

then goto the Sailors Kit button

Then goto the Pirate Coat

and down to the Waistcoat pattern

There is a tailors pattern for knee breaches.... If you have them made fuller in the legs, and don't taper them at the knee, but gather the fabric into the knee band, you will get something very close to what Barbossa wore....

I could have linked you directly to the page.... but figured as long as you were there, you could see what Pyrates really wore..... :lol:

And all the information on GoF's page........

Ahoy, Smoolie...

I posted something under the Twill thread. But will do the same here.

At current I don't care about the historics of it, since the costumers of PotC did it, I won't argue with them on issues.

But here is a pic of the actual pantaloons:

barbossapants.jpg

Now, I made m'self a pair very much like those. They are easy enough to make really. And I used a simple Simplicity pattern (which that pattern is now out of print). Oddly enough, I still have that pattern.

Yo'r choice, can either make the pantaloons for ya or whip up a pattern for ya. Or you can take the image there and have someone else conjure somethin' up for ye.

Notice though... the front is not a fly but more like a french front that buttons down all the way.

~Lady B

:lol:

Thanks for the info and pictures, Lady B. I like these pants. They look comfortable, and easy to drop so you can use the privy - something us ladies have to take into concideration, since we can't stand up to do the job! :o

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I appreciate that people here are trying to stay historically correct. But due to the thousands of people, and the mutitude of countries at the time of the GAOP, there is no way to know for certain that absolutly no one had the style of pants that "Barbossa" is depicted as wearing.

True we have plenty of historcally acurate pictoral references, however that is no excuse for developing tunnel vision when it comes to our clothing. In other words we do not know "everything" that was worn in that era by "everyone". Whether the cuffs are at the knee or 2 inches below the knee, whether they were pleated or gathered, button fly or drop fall makes no real world relevance. Since we didn't live in that period we have to rely on the historical pictures of the time, and that is only a partial picture at best.

I'm not saying that we should go and start wearing sequins and florescent colors. What I'm trying to say is that there is breathing room here.

Here in this forum (not in twill) there is no real regard to being historically correct. I was just commenting on the fact that I find drawstrings, although cheap and easy to made or buy, I have found that they do have their drawbacks. (No pun intended :o ) Heck I still wear boots for crying out loud. Thats why the discussion in twill is what it is and in here its completely different. I meant no harm, I'm just bored.

(Edited due to my first comment making no sense :lol: )

Sorry, I guess I was refering to the twill forum. I wasn't specificaly speaking of anyone who had posted in the plunder forum. :o

I keep forgeting that I posted my question there as well. Perhaps I should fire my little speach over there too. :lol:

Thanks for the info and pictures, Lady B. I like these pants. They look comfortable, and easy to drop so you can use the privy - something us ladies have to take into concideration, since we can't stand up to do the job! B)

No trouble, Ransom. :)

Aye, they are comfortable. Ye saw me in my outfit... the pants I had were just like Barbossa's pants but with a couple additions to the knee band and side adjustments.

They are roomy yet elegant, comfortable and practical.

My Barbossa pants don't have a drawstring, but it does have side adjustments as well as the back adjustment just like regular breeches. And the front is a French fly style. They are very roomy and come to a band that can sit at yo'r calves just below the knees with buttons or a tie. Mine has both, buttons for actual use and practicality, the ribbon ties for decoration.

And as to historical, I trust the Professional Costumers who worked on PotC in their ability to research. And I did find some recent patterns that are VERY close to the Barbossa pantaloons and the style being late 16th to early 17th c.

But, historical or not... I don't dress up as a pirate for the historical part... I dress up as a pirate cause as a little girl I was fascinated by pirates. I've always wanted to be a pirate. And it's the legend and lore of pirates that fascinate us all especially as children. I want to be that type of Pirate of Legend and Lore, the stories you remember as a kid like Treasure Island or the old pirate films. :)

I emailed ye, Smoolie.

Hope to hear from ye, soon.

Ya plan on making a Barbossa outfit?

~Lady B

B)

hooray for plunder!!! You know if your kit is historic in in every way, right down to the hand stitched undies, you turn into a "real life" pirate!....Not like those fake ones, but for real........ B)

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Aye! I got your email. I just had me a motorcycle accident on thursday and I have been a bit slow catching up with things.

I'm not going to make a Barbossa costume per se. I'm gonna go with something like a younger version might wear. And if I get called as such, then I'll just keep me mouth shut and let people think as they will. I already made a coat, vest , and hat. The coat is from the simplicity pattern. The vest is something I sorta whipped together and looks fair. I still have a ton that I want to either improve or add on to this outfit.

Ouch B)

Prayers an' rum that ya get well an' better soon, mate. I sympathize to an extent of accidents.

Well, now ye have me curious t' see yer outfit. Welp, haul in my direction what is needed when you can. No rush unless you want to rush it. And I'll get ye said pantaloons. That way we can see th' pictures!

~Lady B

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...