Drum Jam!

Jib

I always notice that people dance with reckless abandon. Even those who would otherwise not join in can be coaxed into the hot, sweaty, jumble of bodies dancing before a circle of drums.

Sigh I miss the drumouts at the end of the day at Southern Faire..they have trully gone by the wayside. They used to get really the people to get their tribal spirits out.

I love drumming...have gotten into it more since Belly Dancing. I would love to learn the Doumbek. I was researching one day about them and found a center in Los Angeles that teaches it and the teacher is one of the musicians in Naked Rhythm, which in turn I bought one of their CD's and I like it very much. It is more like global music, incorporates a bit from everywhere.

Naked Rhythm website

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

The reason I stopped doing drum circles....

Most people are good to go with happly abandon.....Celtic/Afro....

Then someone shows up that wants to play Amerind slow crap......

yah right.... the Amerinds (Indains...Native Americans) know everything about drumming.......no one else should ever play a drum but them....

I got tierd of that crap really quickly.....

interestingly enough.... so did everyone else..... so I wonder where the Amerinds are playing tonight.......

Sorry to be so racist.... but crap happens.......

Have drums...GREAT

add Digeridoo....EVEN better

anything works so long as the beat is good and the fire is hot

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

HAH! i like drum jams of all sorts. and it effects me in many ways, from electrifying to putting me sleep, depending on the beat and the type of drums. anything can be made to make percussion, which is one reason water percussion is one of my favorites.

what i found interesting was watching my daughter becoming entranced with watching kids her age (younger, same and older) doing fantastic drum solos on YouTube. heh, lord help me, she want's to be a drummer now! :lol: me poor, poor ears!

so yes, very sensual, but also many other things as well.

Do you suppose that humans have something hard wired into them that attracts them to the beat of drums?

I myself can not drum. But I like to listen and watch.

Makes sense to me Jib! We walk by learning first to fall, scoot then crawl, then later a rhythm when little ones master standing and moving. We tend to do many things with a rhythm without even realizing it.

I find i adopt a rhythm doing dishes, cooking (learned alot of cooking in a short-order kitchen, everyone has to step in and out of each other's position and steps to keep the orders coming fast and furious, AND to keep from colliding in a very small work area. it becomes a dance of a sort), dialing the phone, typing, sketching, walking of course, and more than i can name this morning with me runnin' a quart low on coffee. :rolleyes:

the heart runs on a rhythm, as well as breathing, eating and chewing.. so i guess if you think about it, there's not too many things humans do without having at least *some* form of rhythm to it.

I also tend to be dog tired at the end of the day and jumping about with a heavy cutlass on my hip just doesn't seem like fun.

But I do like to watch and listen!

• 2 weeks later...

Aye drum circles...used to join once a year at a convention in me old job...sensual? Aye if theres not too many deadheads..Then it just gets a little wierd fer th ol CAt.

No offfense o course...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I noticed at the old drum outs at the end of faire even non garb faire goers where writhing to the music, it seems the tribal beat gets everyone in the gut and it spreads outwards from the center.

The other night in Belly Dance class I was really wishing I had a Doumbek and knew how to play it.

Any Doumbek players here?

alex-anahata.jpg

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg