Orange Tip?

Abrams

My friends tell me that all firearms need an orange tip at the end so cops know that it's not a real gun.

See, I was thinking of buying some flintlock replicas that had the working mechanism but didn't actually fire. Is the "orange tip" necessary for these? It kinda ruins the historical accuracy.

Also, if I were to get working pistols, would I need any liscence or something? I'm under 18, so I dunno if I could even buy them...

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Here in Calif. you have to be 18 I think to purchase guns of any kind. Don't know about other states.

No, you don't need an orange tip on a black powder replica. That's mainly for younger kid's toys that look so real the cops mistake them for real....

I'm sure you'll hear from a whole lot of others on this subject.

What state are you in?

In California, they have to sell replica firearms with the orange tip on it. This way, the seller is not liable for you brandishing it and law enforcement can easily identify the replica as just that...a replica. What you do with it when you get it home is your own business and in California there is no law stating you have to leave the orange on it..

Recently, California has had a lot of kids shot by the police because of them being unable to identify the piece as a toy or a real weapon.

Here in Cali, there are really no laws regarding Antique firearms and reproductions "antique" firearms manufactured past 1898. Ive read through the California firearm laws a few times before regarding this, but it doesn't really cover Antiques in detail and there are a ton of loopholes. I just treat my pistols (don't have any long guns yet) as if they were a modern pistol just to be on the safe side. As far as firing them, I can't here in my city because of the local city laws, of course I can drive 5 miles down the road and fire them all I want in the county.

What I've always wanted to know was, what are the laws in California regarding Cannons?

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Hmm. In the retail stores they are supposed to have the tip. I guess there really is no one to police the vendors? I know when I go to the swap meet, none of the airsoft guns have the orange tip..but then again, I can buy a switchblade and a blow gun and those are totally illegal in Ca.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Awh... but be carefull about what knives ye buy (in California)

Taking a knife designed for stabing only (say a Civil War bayonette) the wrong place is a felony offence......

I can own a blunderbuss ( flint lock black powder sawed off shotgun) but If I have one with an attached bayonett.... I run into some wierd laws......

OK, here is what I know. It is illegal to sell toy guns in the US without a permanently attached orange tip. Now for the tricky part...under Fed law antiques or guns designed before 1898 and not using readily available fixed ammunition are not considered guns. Therefore toy replicas of antique weapons are not toy guns under the law. A Glock toy gun needs a tip; a Georgian pistol toy does not. Unfortunately, all of what I just said regarding antique "toys" is not spelled out in the law but is inferred from definitions within two separate laws, one for real guns, and one for toys. The one for toys states that the tip is needed for "toy guns" but the definition of "gun" is in the other law. As a result many manufacturers play it safe and keep the tip.

Now for the editorial. The orange tip is one of the most boneheaded bits I have ever heard of, for two reasons. One, children allowed to have realistic-looking guns should be taught the stupidity of displaying the gun in public, especially in a threatening manner, and told to drop it immediately if challenged by anyone in authority. Two, bad guys have painted the tips of their real guns orange in an attempt to buy a split second on the police. As a result the police will shoot anyway if threatened with a realistic-looking toy gun in the hands of that kid who was not taught any better.

Off soapbox.

As for the age that you can buy or possess a flintlock, consult your local and state laws. The ages for buy/possess may be different.

And as I state in all of my posts to/about new gun buyers, get training and learn to shoot safely.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I worked in a gunshop in California for 13 years, and sold nothing but flintlocks and caplocks. This was years ago, but you still had to be 21 and wait 15 days for a handgun whether it was flint or not.

As far as the tip, that is mainly referring to Airsoft guns ( same size, action, and sometimes weight, as the real ones).

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

this has me thinking.

I was checking out:

http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol4.htm

and it says on the bottom:

As with all our other flintlocks, the vent is not drilled so we can ship easily to our door throughout North America and to Europe and the UK. Aside from that they are exactly like the originals. A fine addition to any collection.

Non-Firing State

We sell historically accurate muskets in a non-firing state. A certified gunsmith may alter these pistols to a firing state by drilling the vent hole and test firing it. PLEASE NOTE: Pistols are considered restricted weapons in Canada and in a number of other countries. Please consult with local authorities before making or converting any replica pistol into a firing state. We are not legally responsible for any alteration from its present state, nor any infractions of the law by the owner.

So, am I to understand, that if i bought this, and found a gun smith to drill this vent, then I could fire it?

So, am I to understand, that if i bought this, and found a gun smith to drill this vent, then I could fire it?

without the touchhole being drilled, it is not a gun...

if you loaded it, and pulled the trigger, the priming powder would go off... but without a touch hole, it couldn't ignite the main charge.......

But .... Yah... once the touch hole is drilled, it will fire... (you have to proof test the barrel first.....but they come with instructions on how to do that.....)