New Swivel Gun

My machinist on the 6-Pack project has been in-undated with work lately so I have had to keep busy with other projects. Here is the latest one. A small 21" bronze cannon with a 1" bore. It'll go in our bar mounted atop a barrel and can easily be removed and used on the Scuba boat .

i still need to fit it with a combo - Tompion / Ramrod and a handle however the swivel yoke just got completed and will be getting a black paint job as soon as this post is completed.

:unsure:

Tropico_Swivel001.JPG

Tropico_Swivel002.JPG

Tropico_Swivel006.JPG

Tropico_Swivel007.JPG

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Hi Black Hearted Pearl :unsure:

No firing system..., just fill the vent (thats where most would put a fuse) and then just touch - it - off with a piece of burning rope called slow match .,on the end of a stick.............., and hang on !

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

That's looking good, lad. Where'd you get the bronze cannon from? Or did you make it? Anyways, when it's finished, let's see some pictures or videos of the destruction!

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Hello Abrams..., I dont cast them I just hire them out to my specs ., shop for them., ect., check the website for a few cannon and mortar videos.

GoF good to hear from you sir. :huh:

"Open for business yet"

No :huh: I am not ready yet.., still building., we have much to do before we can open. Jan 08 we will start the Marina work we are excited about that ., for now we just completed a 3-plex ., the building on the left (the 4-plex is on the right). Currently we are working with a designer to build a cistern shaped like a Gigantic Rhum keg so we have water 24 hours a day instead of for 8 hours only.

Tropico_3-Plex0064.JPG

Swivel Gun update.

I found it easy to use 2 clamps that are normally found holding the U-Joint to the differential on most Chevrolets..., the bottom one with a nut welded to it. This allows me to unscrew the "Steering rod" and ball from the cannon very quickly.

Tropico_Swivel014.jpg

Tropico_Swivel015.jpg

This will be fun on the boat or mounted to an oak barrel in the bar....., however I am also working on a quick assembly tripod that can be used for the cannon as well as melting lead cannon balls............., or cooking (Differant iron pot).

I will upload the completed cannon with tripod when finished., hopefully it may share an idea or two with some of you cannon camper types ..., Arrrrrrrgh!

Swivel gun finished

Tropico_Swivel018.jpg

Tropico_Swivel019.jpg

Everything is there now except for the cast iron pot hanging from the chain to cast bullets and cannon balls. This should be a bit of a fun package to take onto our next outing. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

""Looks amazing, but the tripod looks kinda modern. Still great!""

Well, sure the tripod looks kind of modern, you can see from the date stamp on the pictures,

They were all taken next year, in 2008, now THAT is modern.

Hey Harbor Master, where do you have your tardis? :lol:

but on a more serious note, how you going to cast your cannon balls?

I have a 2.25 bore and I found a downrigger sinker mold at a tackle shop that is just the right size

for casting white metal cannon balls. Just melt down some old washing machine

gear casings or old carbruators, even some bases for some old swivel chairs (kind of

ironic, no? part of an old swivel chair becomes amunition for a swivel gun)

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Thanks for checkin out my toy thread everybody ! ! :lol: ...., I love this stuff !! O.K. Littleneckhalfshell For some answers..... yes the 2.25 bore is what I have also on my Hern cannon Barrels. To make cannonballs for it I do two things. 1 . I also use a DO-IT brand ball sinker mold for fishing ...., they have a 2.20 ...., with only .050 windage ....., thats pretty close to "Good enough" another way is 2.130 pinapple juice cans filled with concrete. :rolleyes: My HERN ordinance rifles can throw a can of concrete at better than mach speed (Breaking the sound barrier-above 760 mph) for 17 hundred yards. Youll be thinking now when you go to a grocery store to start buying your foods by the size can it comes in :lol: never leave home without a caliper !

Anyway..., see that chain hanging under my tripod ? I am going to use that for suspending a cast iron pot ., for melting FREE TIRE WEIGHTS from Les Shwab then pour my .50 .., .60..., and 1" cannon balls only ..., really I prefer cans and concrete for the bigger bores. otherwise I am using alot of lead quik.

Weight wise HildeKitten the swivel is a good way to go since it all comes apart ..,there is not one bolt holding that assembly together.....,All gravity ! So its not to bad really

Abrams for modern ...., here ya go we just put this together in the last 2 weeks for a friend so I got a firend to shoot with now.

Swivel2a.JPG

Swivel3a.JPG

Also if anyone wants a 1" bore cannon .,I got one for sale right here. 475.00 shipped anywhere in the lower 48.

JohnsCannon02.JPG

It'll go BOOM for you and look good in a living room and let you tell lies to your grand-children :lol:

Doesn't seem to easy to carry around though

You don't carry cannons.... they "reach out and touch those ye be aiming at..."

Hey HarborMaster.... wot be the rates fer us wot wannna retire an join up wit yer Pyrate haven........ :rolleyes:

I ain't got no cannon.... but I be a good Pyrate wit a long guns an' a buss.....

Patrick we would love to see you there..,actually we would love to populate the nieghborhood with retiring pirates. A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER THAN YOU COULD BELIEVE . is the cost. Right now the exchane rate is 46 to 1 . This means 20 US in your pocket is 920 Pisos !!! our hotel will be 1000 pisos a night., about 22 bux., 25% off for americans at 750p is about 15 bux a night on the beach. Living there is quite good ., in 2006 I priced full coverage Blue Cross .,they quoted me 400 a month ..........., about 9 bux......, insurance for the multi-cab (car) is 120 ..........., yea ., about 2 dollars and 50 cents.

Swifty Morgan (He was on the pub last year) he bought a house last year...., a 1 bedroom concrete and steel. Not far from me and the wife he has hiway access...., 7,000.00 American...., hello 7k ? he is 27 years old and cashed out his retirement home ! 350,000.00 pisos.

Its not for everyone........, but it sure works for us.

Its a neat place Pat.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Fourth of July Weekend Pirates !

4th07_b.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

Here are a few videos on You Tube of our Cannon shoot this weekend .

Here is a link to You Tube for a shot from the Wes Made Bronze Mortar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvutps4HXnE

A Link to Als Swivel Shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_USfeM3aoYg

And a link to You Tube showing my ball actually leaving my swivel at mach speed *Wicked-Gold-Toothed-Grin* ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTk1ka59Qpk

And finally the 1/3 scale 6 pounder in the naval carriage. I am going broke buying sinkers.., i need to get a mold made badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvifve9kjKk

Jul%2005%202007%20-%20Mortar.jpg

Dang! That's awesome mate! Thanks for posting those! Those little swivel guns pack quite a punch, don't they? B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Dang! That's awesome mate! Thanks for posting those! Those little swivel guns pack quite a punch, don't they? 

Captain Midnight

Yea they do ! I have a great time building and piecing things together ., then testing and collecting...., dollar for dollar., and bang for the buck 1" bore stuff is pretty cool sir !

Oh if anyone is interested in shooting 1" bores.., I found the Do-It cannon ball fishing weight molds ..., for making your own weights .., makes a pefect ball ., a 3 ounce ball is .96 of an inch., just enough windage to be safe...., and big enough to catch all the gusto of the blast without losing your velocity ., Its really about right for a 1" bore.

Finally., from .mov's to .mpg's ., wmv's ., the converting which misaligns video and audio., all straighten out in "Movie Maker". What a mess. I wish my Kodak took video in AVI instead of mov . Anyway this video is a culmination of the 2 weeks before during and after July 4th 2007 . Lots of little booms in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iloGsofITII 4.gif