Hammocks

depinux

Ahoy,

Has anyone here build a sailor's hammock, or have any sources as to how to go about doing so? Or even a place that builds period hammocks? I'd very much like to have one for me dorm room next semester. :P

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

I Made and are sleeping in My own Hammock. Very comfortable.

You can Make your own if you like. The Ashley Book of Knots Tells you How.

But if you like We can hold some sort of transaction. trade.

Bargain Perhaps.

and ill make you A Sailors hammock Worth the name.

Now what skills do you offer in trade?

I dont take money Nor Favors so get that outta yer head :huh:

I am an apprentice sail maker, Canvasman, Rigger, and Marlinespike sailor.

Some Skilled more than others But I get the Job done.

:blink:

John

There are three other hammock threads that you might find useful.

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...0399&hl=hammock

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...4802&hl=hammock

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...3501&hl=hammock

One has a history (unatributed) of the hammock dating the use to GAoP naval forces.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I have made my hammock on my second sea voyage in the late 1980s. It is a replica of the hammocks used by the Royal Navy.

I was lucky to find a generous length of sailcloth in my first ship's store and diverted some of it for my purposes. :lol:

On my second ship, I welded 24 steel rings out of long nails for the grommets, took a sail maker's needle and glove and sewed the whole thing together.

For starters, you should have a look at the Ashley Book Of Knots. There you'll find a very good description of how to do it.

Although my hammock is 20+ years old and very often used, it is still as good as new.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

DRAT.... I didn't know there were instructions in Ashley Book Of Knots... I'm going to have to check out a copy through inter Library loan.........

I'm about half way done making one based off info from this page...

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/hamock.htm

I'm making some minor modifications to it tho.....

I'm 6' 3" so I made it longer.....

And the rings I bought at the hardware store wern't large enough for 6 halfhitched lines... so I only used 5, and siezed them over the ring so they didn't take up as much space.....

I still have to make and sew all the grommets now.....

I figure that I'm not reenacting the Royal Navy.... so mine will be "close enough" :lol:

• 2 months later...

Course the real trick where to put it to use it.... as Boats has found out after making his years ago and no where to use it....no trees in the right places, nothing strong enough to hold it up with a person in it...all in all I think he realized he made it for nothing.....

Course the real trick where to put it to use it.... as Boats has found out after making his years ago and no where to use it....no trees in the right places, nothing strong enough to hold it up with a person in it...all in all I think he realized he made it for nothing.....

Maddogge hangs his at every event and uses it... via his tent poles in his lean to...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Maddogge hangs his at every event and uses it...   via his tent poles in his lean to...

Have done similar, and can vouch that if your lean-to is long enough [ours was a spar across - about three-and-a-bit-fathoms total], and sturdy enough, it can hang a hammock nicely.

HalifaxChangingoftheGuard075.jpg

This held a hammock, and quite solidly, once she was raised [she's in a bit of disrepair in the photo, being half way to "reef sheets" thanks to a storm].

Right now, the ridge pole and shier poles for my lean-to/sail arn't strong enough... but I was thinking of fixing them so I could string the hammoc at events.....

hummmm... maybe if I string the sail/tarp sideways, and make some longer poles..... <_<

I won't have the space at Ojai.... and for PiP, I'll just string it between two trees.... but it should work at some of the other events.....

Question on grommets; I am making a combo square-sail/ lean-to tarp/bedroll that will serve as sail for a small boat or canoe. The book I have says to tar the grommets. I am using oilcloth for this project. How necessary is the tar using hemp for the grommets? I thought about just using brass rings, but I'm having fun making grommets. Thoughts/suggestions?

Bo

so ok...heres' the trick...don't lie in the hammock length ways...end to end...but more diagonal like...damn near sideways....that way ya don't need the "perfect distance " tween to uprights...and you actually lay flatter for a better nights sleep thats more comfortable....mine is actually an ecuadorian made hammock...made the same way for damn near a thousand years...or so "they" said...whoever "they" are....and i can sleep in mine with the ends damn near touchin.....so distance really never comes much of an issue.....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg