U.S. warship can't stop pirates off Somalia

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A U.S. Navy warship fired shots at pirates who had hijacked a Danish-flagged cargo ship off the coast of Somalia but was unsuccessful in blocking the piracy, according to Navy officials.

Saturday's incident underscores growing U.S. military involvement in the Horn of Africa, not just against suspected al Qaeda targets but also against an increasingly violent pirate trade waters off Somalia's coast.

Read more.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Of course they can't! The vessels being used are small, heavily armed, almost impossible to detect by either radar or lanthorn, and fit the classic pattern of any kind of 'piracy'. They are little, big-gunned locals who know the lay of the coast, who wait until someone is dumb enough to enter into their zone of action (known to inner-city cops as "the alligator on a chain") and then looting, Etc.

That's how the original New World Pirates worked. You can take over a supertanker with one dedicated guy with an AK. Or a POS shotgun from Sears. either one. That's what it's about.

It's late, I'm going to bed.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

I was once regaled with a story of pyracy in the South China Sea. No names here, but I trust the source. An LNG tanker was approached by several go-fast inflatables which were spotted by a lookout. The captain bided his time and at the “opportune moment” called for “all ahead full, hard left rudder.” The inflatables were sucked under the starboard hull by the props and the slewing of the ship, never to be seen again.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I don't doubt it, given intent, and based on the maneuverability of the larger vessel.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

I was once regaled with a story of pyracy in the South China Sea. No names here, but I trust the source. An LNG tanker was approached by several go-fast inflatables which were spotted by a lookout. The captain bided his time and at the “opportune moment” called for “all ahead full, hard left rudder.” The inflatables were sucked under the starboard hull by the props and the slewing of the ship, never to be seen again.

Three cheers fer that Captain! :D:huh:B)

Capt. Wiliam

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I don't doubt it, given intent, and based on the maneuverability of the larger vessel.

:huh: That was a good one!

I am not saying that it could not be true, but have you ever seen an LNG vessel? Hundreds of pipes on deck, and about as maeuvrable as a drunken pig.

banner.jpg

:lol: That was a good one!

I am not saying that it could not be true, but have you ever seen an LNG vessel? Hundreds of pipes on deck, and about as maeuvrable as a drunken pig.

Yeah, they don't turn, they sssllliiiiide at speed. But the props can create a vortex near the stern. Ordering a hard left creates a high pressure area in front of the rudders on that side and a low on the other resulting in a vortex connected to a mix-master. Pyrate chum.

At least that is the story as related to me.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I really like CNN's near-gleeful headline. Perhaps Ted Turner's minions expect every patrol vessel to be carrying a SEAL team and be able to turn day into night at the snap of the Captain's fingers. :rolleyes:

"The strongest deterrent to pirates is patrolling US warships, but they are not allowed within 200 nautical miles of the Somali coast".

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/News/Article.....aspx?id=488214

"For now, Mwangura said more attacks were expected in the coming weeks.

"They’ll be more rough seas in June and July so many vessels will be forced into shallow waters where the pirates are," he said."

Uh huh. Another problem in the recent past has been ship's masters ignoring the WELL PUBLICIZED international warnings about the Somali coast.

One explanation is that some of the cargo ships are carrying munitions for the gangs ashore and the hostage situation is either A) rival gangs or B.) honor among thieves after a deal/delivery goes bad.

What's the old saying, about the company you keep?

Dances for nickels.

What's the old saying, about the company you keep?

You mean, as in providing CIA training and funding for Osama Bin Laden during the war in Afghanistan and see his henchmen flatten the Twin Towers some twenty years later?

banner.jpg