wagoneer

Silver

I read that the ships navigator would keep his charts and notes in something called a wagoneer (they didn't say if was a stick or automatic, OK). Can anyone give me more details on this object, i would like to "repro" one for my living history presentation. thankyou

I read that the ships navigator would keep his charts and notesĀ  in something called a wagoneer

First off, it is called a waggoner (or a derrotero or a roteiro or a rutter) and you may find a copy of Basil Ringrose's South Seas Waggoner in a decent university library (ISBN 0520054105 ), as it is currently out of print.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

One of the most sought after bits of plunder from most Spanish ships was their Waggoner, as it had a wealth of info on coastlines, careening spots, etc., and the Brethren sought them out when boarding a Spanish vessel.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.