Whydah Exhibit at Cincinnati Museum Center

NicoleDeLaMer

It's been too long lads. I've not written in so long me inks dried up and I've had to cut a new quill. But now that it's done I thought I might inform ye of a new exhibit coming to the Cincinnati Museum Center. I'm working the exhibit but I'm not exactly sure of the "official" title yet; but it is the exhibit that Barry Clifford attempted to create twice before in Florida. Why we got it, I don't know. But it is supposed to be fabulous and have many artifacts. (In the case you are wondering the history of the ship, it is the Whydah, a once slaver turned pirate ship when Black Sam Bellamy took her as a prize. As Bellamy made his way back to Cape Cod the Whydah became lodged on a sandbar no more than a hundred yards from shore. In the violent waves, she capsized and most of the crew, including Bellamy, drown. She was reputed to have been filled with treasure and it just so happens, she was.)

So if your in the Cincinnati area, the exhibit begins June 30th. If you come on a weekend I'll get to see you personally. :lol:

I've not gotten to see anything yet, but as soon as I do I'll give a review.

Floggin's are a natural part of life

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

Member of the International Wenches Guild

• 2 months later...

Well, The exhibit has been up a full month and everyone is extremely pleased. We haven't had any complaint about the exhibit or the price. (which I think is amazing since it's $17.50 to get in.) But I had absolute conformation from a 4 year old that said, "this is the greatest thing I've seen in my WHOLE life". It's a beautiful exhibit with just a few minor mistakes. I'm very proud to be part of the first crew to run it and I think everyone will be very impressed. So if your in the area, don't hesitate to stop by.

Now just a few quotes from visitors over this last month.

" oh my gosh, it's wonderful! ......what is it?"

4 year old boy about a concretion

"If I run really fast into that glass can I break through and take all that treasure?" 8 year old boy

"If I were on the ship (the Whydah) would the Captain let me sleep in his room?" 5 year old girl

"Why don't you have glass around those cannons? Aren't you afraid someone might steal one?" 40 something woman

:huh:

Floggin's are a natural part of life

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

Member of the International Wenches Guild

• 4 months later...

Bump....

I am pretty determined to have a last look at the stuff before the exhibit closes up and moves to the next location (which I don't know where it is). Anyways, the Exhibit closes on January the 6th, and between the holidays and my work schedule, Sunday December the 30th is pretty much the only chance I have to see this exhibit before it departs.

If anyone from Cincy or the surrounding areas is interested in going on that day , please message me so we can connect and go as a group and coordinate meeting times and such.

I was thinking of going in normal street clothes and not in garb/kit/costume, in case you were going to ask. :P:huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

Since my other half has suddenly gotten this coming Monday off of work, we are thinking of going on Monday rather than Sunday in case that works better for anyone... We're still on the fence about which day.

In other news I was talking to someone today who has some inside knowledge, and the word is, the next stop for the exhibit is Philadelphia, so anyone interested from Eastern PA and the nearby surrounding areas around Philly will get their turn to see the exhibit in the upcoming months!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Michaelsbagley wrote "In other news I was talking to someone today who has some inside knowledge, and the word is, the next stop for the exhibit is Philadelphia, so anyone interested from Eastern PA and the nearby surrounding areas around Philly will get their turn to see the exhibit in the upcoming months!"

Any more news on this? It closed in Cincy 2 weeks ago and yet checking the internet site, it is as if the exhibit was still open there. If it is going to open in Philly, I can get there from northern NJ in roughly 2 hours. Would be nice if they would get their web page updated. I would like to see it if possible.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Any more news on this?  It closed in Cincy 2 weeks ago and yet checking the internet site, it is as if the exhibit was still open there.  If it is going to open in Philly, I can get there from northern NJ in roughly 2 hours.  Would be nice if they would get their web page updated.  I would like to see it if possible.

The Real Pirates exhibit is scheduled to open in Philadelphia on May 24 through November 2, 2008 at the Franklin Institute. Later it's supposed to go to Phoenix (5 hours from me - will probably take a road trip there), Chicago, Denver, and Los Angeles (yeah - only 45 minutes). Maybe other cities too.

Yrs in the Sweet Trade,

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

ahh, Jamaica Rose comes through again :ph34r:

Thanks. I too hope to get there soon after it opens, might not make that first Saturday, but hopefully that next week.

With the traveling exhibit, I wonder what they still have at the museum up on the cape?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I