Blunderbuss

capnwilliam

I've dealt with Loyalist and their very up front and carry quality. I like their Blunderbuss just don't have the 8's to be spendin' right now.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I've got the Loyalist blunderbuss, 16" brass barrel. Beautiful piece. Well made, good springs, sparks great. Got some nice touches, too, like a tow worm attacjed to the tip of the scouring stick. Round faced heavy lock, crown and GR marked.

Got to reccomend this piece, best value for a blunderbuss i've seen , and I've been collecting blunderbusses and carbines for a long time.

Hawkyns

:unsure:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

P'raps this belongs in another thread, but since Loyalist Arms and the quality of their wares has come up: has anybody had experience of their cutlasses? They look fine and the prices can't be beat, but are they battle-worthy? I.e. made of good steel with a tang thick enough to resist snapping at the hilt? Or are they for display only?

Also, since they ship from Canada, do the flintlocks have to be vented before they'll fire?

P'raps this belongs in another thread, but since Loyalist Arms and the quality of their wares has come up: has anybody had experience of their cutlasses? They look fine and the prices can't be beat, but are they battle-worthy? I.e. made of good steel with a tang thick enough to resist snapping at the hilt? Or are they for display only?

Also, since they ship from Canada, do the flintlocks have to be vented before they'll fire?

I've bought two. And use them on a regular basis in my Comedy Pirate Sword Fights. The are quality. Blunted edges and full tanged. The flintlocks should come ready to fire.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Their only real drawback is they don't take credit cards. I've talked to them about setting up a PayPal account but don't know if they did.

--------------

sig1.jpg

My understanding is that they will drill the touchhole and proof them for a reasonable fee, but then you're going to have to track them down at the airport and deal with customs.

Undrilled, they come right to your home.

(This for U.S. customers.)

SHIPPING TO THE US:

- Yes, we can ship economically to the US!!

- We can ship firearms via parcel post, express post, or air freight.

- Depending on wether the touch hole is drilled in a flintlock or drum is fully functional with a percussion firearm, or the number of firearms ordered,(weight), will determine the method of shipping. We can also ship the lock separately from the musket/pistol to expedite US customs clearance.

A) Air freight usually costs approximately $39.00 US per musket/rifle/pistol.

The customer would have to pick up the item at their airport and clear customs there. We supply all documentation, (when necessary). We recommend air freight for larger orders of several long guns, as it is usually more economical.

:ph34r: Parcel post generally charges $30.00 to $33.00 US per musket/rifle. Insurance is included on all shipments.

Hand guns usually run around $20.00 to $23.00 US.

C) Express post costs extra. Please inquire

D) Miscellaneous items can be shipped via parcel post or express post or courier. Minimum charge is $ 6.50 US for parcel post and includes insurance.

E) We cannot ship COD to the US.

No FFL dealer is needed for any muzzle loading firearms, or percussion breechloaders.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/us...nformation.html

Drilling the hole is easy. 'Positioning' the hole is the tough bit. I got mine through a dealer in the US who did the drilling for me, and tested the lock to make sure it was OK. Any blackpowder gunsmith should be able to do this for you.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

So Hawkyns, that convinces me, I wouldn't attempt to drill it meself, fer fear that I'd ruin the lock by drilling the hole in the wrong position.

I'd probably just have Loyalist do it for me; no big deal to go down to the airport and pick it up; we're near the airport. :D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

That's correct. Without the touchhole that goes through the barrel, the priming in the pan cannot reach the main charge in the breech. The gun is inoperable and no more than a wall hanger. I got my piece through a gunsmith/importer who did the lock test and drilled the touchhole. Mad Dutchman Importing Co. He's out of the Boston area, but does not have a website. I see him at area musters.

Cap'n William- it's not the lock that would be ruined, but the barrel. The touchole has to be drilled correctly through the barrel. Not too small to let the spark through, but not so large as to let the main charge bleed out. Far enough forward to just clear the breech plug, but no so far forward that it will ignite the main charge at the wrong point or even miss it completely. Just the right height to take the spark easily form the pan.

Some people have an oversized touchhole drilled and a stainless steel liner threaded and put in. This prevents the corrosion that is inevitable around the touchhole and allows the liner to be replaced when the corrosion becomes an issue.

Hawkyns

:D

rod_21.jpg

Thanks for the info. Now I have another pay check spent before I even see it.

Best get to privateerin' then. :huh:

Hawkyns, ye are a treasure trove of information yeself. :rolleyes: 'fraid meself be in the same situation as EP. Have you fired one of each, that is, one with the stainless steel lining, and one without? Did ye notice any difference?

Captain of The Morrighan.