AWE, opinions please :) - SPOILERS ALERT!!

HildeKitten

Would someone answer this... Why on Earth go see potc3 and tell the pirates on duty at the theater that pirates are lame/gay/etc?

I know exactly what you mean, man... my first thought is always "Dude, you realize that I'm the one with the sword, right?"

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it for the first time today. Was sort of tied up last weekend with family stuff.

My main judge of a movie, especially a long one, as this one is, is how fast the time passes.

POCAWE went fast, I didn't sit and ask myself, what next? I just rode the roller coaster.

IT's a MOVIE! not History. Enjoy it, I know I will, over and over. It is based on the ride I never miss when at Disney, I ride it at least once a day even if mainly attending one of the other disney parks,

but I don't try to pick the ride apart! I ride it to enjoy it.

Same for the movie. I have no idea what the critics saw or think they saw, but just remember that their name 'critic' does not have so much of a 'positive' conotation.

:huh:

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

I saw the film last night.

I actually enjoyed it. They tied MUCH MORE of the loose ends than I expected.

It made a decent "hollywood" movie.

I have an odd take on "history" films. I am a trained historian, but have a family DEEPLY entrenched in the arts and the film industries. My uncle is an ASC member (and the youngest to every recieve as many of their award nominations in a single year), my brother and 2 cousins went to film school and we are ALL film NUTS. So, I tend to look at movies 2 ways at the same time: 1) Is it a good film? 2) Is it good history?

Now, back to POTC, it is a good film, in what it pertains to be. I think they went got a bit infatuated with CGI and lost much good writing (which makes me long for the censor days, when writers had to write around sex and violence instead of just make it as graphic as possible-> it lead to some VERY GOOD writing and subtle enuendo). MUCH more could have been done with the calypso/Jones relationship and characters. They also lost Jack's "sly" edge from the first movie and made him more of a lucky nut. They also missed an AMAZING chance at a MASSIVE naval battle. There were also WAY to many "backstories" that needed to be explained at LEAST a WEE bit more, esp Jack's relationship to Beckett and the EITC and Jack's relation to a NUMBER of other characters. Actually, there was probably simply WAY to many important characters by this point (in contrast, for example, to another popular trilogy: the ORIGINAL Star Wars one.)

Visually, the ships, costumes, weapons, flags, and ALL the rest of the prop and art department stuff was BEAUTIFUL. I enjoyed the "name the flag" when they "hoisted the colors" (whether or not the associated pirates themselves would even recognize ANY of them.

From a historical side: It was SO far "off" as for me to put that aside and just enjoy it.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

IT's a MOVIE! not History. Enjoy it,

I enjoyed it well enough. Just because it's a fantasy film doesn't mean that it should have a shoddy screenplay and have to depend on a metric-arseload of CG to carry the film.The first screenplay was good the second one was poor and the third mediocre. That being said the lack of writing talent did not prevent me from enjoying the wholesale spectacle of AWE :)

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I saw it for the 4th time last night, and will continue to celebrate awe all summer with little pirate fests...

Besides tying up all the lose ends that were left open in DMC, the AWE message rings loud and true.

It's not the quantity of life, it's the quality...

In the final analysis, we have to live with our actions, be it good or bad. Savvy?

Oh, the music, the cgi, the lines are fabulous. Ok, so I am hooked on Terry so there is nothing that he can do wrong ...

"Ladies, will you please shut it!?!?! Listen to me. Yes, I lied to you. No, I don't love you. Of course it makes you look fat. I've never been to Brussels. It is pronounced "ee-gree-jeous." By the way, no, I've never actually met Pizarro, but I love his pies. And all of this pales to utter insignificance in light of the fact that my ship is once again gone. Savvy??"

The exchange between Barbossa and Jack over the dead Kraken...Cuddlefish speech...

The music theme that is played while Jack,Elizabeth and Hector walk towards Will, Becket and Davy...and

The music theme that is played when Will, Jones and Becket are bartering about going to The Pirate Cove... Priceless...

Lots of innuendos put in which I love.

Of course if you are searching for pirate history, the movie is not historically correct but that's why we have history classes, maritime museums and history channel!

Dick Cook told me that a 4th is not out of the question. It will be a few years away but it will be!

I am surprised at POTC fans that don't want another film because where and when would you ever see Barbossa or Jack again unless Disney makes another movie? I would be thrilled to see another one, even if Jack is trying to get his ship back...both Captains know that all things will pass, that's dead certain.

kttcsignature.jpg

**Redundant at this point, but Spoilers below **

Saw it last night. Really cool overall...although it was getting a bit bloated. What I did love is that for a mainstream blockbuster it took a lot of artistic chances with those long surreal scenes involving Sparrow being in his own head. There was more than one occasion where I thought to myself that if someone just strolled into the theater half an hour in, they'd question just what the hell movie they walked into.

I love the clean full circle ending with Jack alone in an open boat. That was perfect. I love that Jack and Hector are still alive and kicking. I love that Will and Elizabeth are gone, done, wrapped up.

Beckett seemed a wasted villian to me. DMC built him up to be a real menace, but he just fizzled in AWE. He never delivered a sense of danger and fear. Perhaps this is some of the stuff that Bess mentioned was cut at the last minute? He really didn't have much screen time.

The other pirate lords including Teague were terrific.

I'll refrain from hacking away at the tons and tons of plausibility errors, because accuracy and feasibility aren't the point in the POTC world. The only thing I can't let go of is...if it's cold enough to snap your frozen toe off...how come Will was apparently comfy enough in his halfway unbuttoned shirt to stroll around the deck without so much as a shiver? :lol:

Anway, good time, really enjoyable overall. And only Hollywood could build 9 hours of screen time around pirates who...DON'T.ACTUALLY.PIRATE.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I am surprised at POTC fans that don't want another film because where and when would you ever see Barbossa or Jack again unless Disney makes another movie? I would be thrilled to see another one, even if Jack is trying to get his ship back...both Captains know that all things will pass, that's dead certain.

As much as I would love more Barbossa, there's no reason to keep going with that storyline. All they'll forever do is fight over the Black Pearl. It ended in the 3rd one where they came full circle. Why keep pushing with that? It's fine the way they ended it. The Elizabeth and Wil storyline tho has way too many plotholes. I guess some deleted scenes and the commentary on the dvd could just clear up that mess.

BTW, I think I've figured out who you are. You're from this other board that's called the POTC Interactive Project: the faithful bride forum. I sometimes posted on there a long time ago. That board tho should really be called the Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow board instead-lol! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

My thoughts -- including a few spoilers, but nothing that hasn't been spoiled earlier in the thread, so not too many worries there...

Loved the movie overall. Liked it better than #2 (thought that one came across as too much a bridge movie, ala The Empire Strikes Back, just something to take you from one movie to the next.

Now, for my money, I can never see too much Barbossa time on screen. As some have said here, he dang well should be the captain!

I'm quite fine with getting rid of Elizabeth and Wil. They were okay, but... Okay, they really weren't all that okay.

From reading the earlier posts, I am glad I wasn't the only one with that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly moment on the sandbar. Great minds think alike, eh Rumba...?

Nice tying up of loose ends, but...

Norrington actually became cool in #2. Guess it just wore off...

Calypso. Um... Okay... Kinda came outta nowhere, really, but... that's fine... I guess...

I do have to disagree with a couple of folks less impressed with the swordplay. I just saw it as a different style, in which more is left for the mind to fill in, rather than showing each stroke. Just a different cinematic choice, I thought.

Again, overall, loved the flick, and will likely see it at least one more time before the DVD comes along.

sig2.jpg

I'll refrain from hacking away at the tons and tons of plausibility errors, because accuracy and feasibility aren't the point in the POTC world. The only thing I can't let go of is...if it's cold enough to snap your frozen toe off...how come Will was apparently comfy enough in his halfway unbuttoned shirt to stroll around the deck without so much as a shiver? :blink:

Elves aren't affected by cold, silly. :huh:

...actually, now that I think about it...you don't suppose that was a deliberate reference?

My wife's comment on that scene was "It doesn't matter how pretty the glass; he's still human Nyquil." :unsure::lol:

ROTFLMPAO! :D:D:P:P

I'm going to remember your wife's quote. That is priceless....and dead accurate.

(Apologies to the Orly fan-girls, but us real women want real men.)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I liked it overall. I would love to see anouther movie. The hole Will and Elizabeth thing is done for me. And killing off such a ledgend as Davie Jones and replaceing him will Will Turner? I didnt like that.

It would be grate to see Barbosa and Jack race to Florida to find the Fountain of youth.

From reading the earlier posts, I am glad I wasn't the only one with that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly moment on the sandbar. Great minds think alike, eh Rumba...?

Nay, not the only one. I heard that classic theme in my head when I saw that scene, and I do believe it could be laid over the existing music and fit in fine :)

I actually recognized in the film and in the credits was Billy Bones - ah knowing your real name Billy Bones, made me smile widely when I saw you as mentioned as a sword fighter - and the first one named in the credits for such. :lol:

I am surprised at POTC fans that don't want another film  because where and when would you ever see Barbossa or Jack again unless Disney makes another movie?  I would be thrilled to see another one, even if Jack is trying to get his ship back...both Captains know that all things will pass, that's dead certain.

As much as I would love more Barbossa, there's no reason to keep going with that storyline. All they'll forever do is fight over the Black Pearl. It ended in the 3rd one where they came full circle. Why keep pushing with that? It's fine the way they ended it. The Elizabeth and Wil storyline tho has way too many plotholes. I guess some deleted scenes and the commentary on the dvd could just clear up that mess.

BTW, I think I've figured out who you are. You're from this other board that's called the POTC Interactive Project: the faithful bride forum. I sometimes posted on there a long time ago. That board tho should really be called the Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow board instead-lol! :lol:

Yep, that's me. Still an active member and we are still putting on interactives across North America.

I will have one in the state of Michigan for Marty's charity(hopefully this summer) but we're still working around his schedule.

Oh gee, we all love Johnny/Jack on the board, now especially since more of us have met him. Of course we love Geoffrey too, there's no question about that.

I can visualize a fantastic story with Barbossa on the Pearl, Jack in his dinghy, trying to find this fountain of youth...or worse!

kttcsignature.jpg

I thought the picture was an amazing achievement and a terrific new step in the POTC story. I would see this movie 50 more times before I saw any of the other third sequel movies if I could. Complete Eyegasm!

Whoa, talk about bloodshot eyes, look at the bloodshot letters!

Waitress, more rum!

Not all of us who drink are poets. Some of us drink because we're not poets.

kttcsignature.jpg

I usually take my mouse, position the cursor in front of the text and hold the left mouse button down while dragging across to select the text in such posts. Once selected, it is pretty readable on my computer (black or blue text on a white background). It's a small price to pay for readability.

Someone posts occasionally with the green and someone else with the purple text colors and I have the same problem. Your mouse is your friend in these situations. :lol: (The background colors - particularly the dark brown - are not very conducive to reading and editing in general IMO.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I usually take my mouse, position the cursor in front of the text and hold the left mouse button down while dragging across to select the text in such posts. Once selected, it is pretty readable on my computer (black or blue text on a white background). It's a small price to pay for readability.

I knew that, but thanks for the reminder! Too much rum, too few braincells :lol: