Comments on Master & Commander

endkaos

There I was, sailing on the seas of San Diego, and none of the crew had enough energy to go and see Master and Commander after a day on the water. I'm thinking that's okay. The Pyracy Pub members will have a report on it by the time I get back. WHAT HAPPENED? I know it's not a "pirate film", but the HMS Rose is deserving of an audience upon herself. Surely, some of you have seen it. Comments?

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Was THE best 18/19th century naval movie

I've ever seen!! Gives you a true feel for

life aboard ship during those times, costumes were great,

absolutely couldn't see any glowering visual errors.

The ship to ship fights were horrendous!

'tween deck shots really gave you a claustrophobic feel,

none of this crap they usually show, where there's lots

of room-Ha! Do yer self a favor and go see it... a couple a times!!

Cheers & Happy sailin'

Redhand

:ph34r:

I'll comment fer ye mate. Last friday me brother an I took me yungest hellion to see it. It was enough to give any sailing and fighting dog, wood and I'm not taling about legs either. And from the reactions of some of the wenches in the place thar was many whyo left wet between the knees and I ain't talking about spilling drinks in their laps either.

This be one movie that truly got me hellion into thinking about sailing. When the Surprise be going around the horn at 12 knots and the capt. wanting more, twas a sight to see. Me hellion be a rollercoaster nut so's I leaned over to him as that ship be flying thru the storm and I asked him how would he like to be onboard and didn't that look better than any coaster he's every seen. The grin on his face said it all.

In truth I have never seen a movie that conveyed so much feeling of being there and what life might have been like in all me life. Without haveing to show closeups of blood and gore and special effects, you feel and see the true brutality of combat aboard ship. And the sceens when the doctor was doing surgery on the crew and later on himself had the whole audience sguirming in their seats. And still they didn't really show anything, it was just the way the whole scene was set up. From the music to the lighting and the acting, you got the feeling that you were watching something really gory and bloody.

I could go on an on about this movie, it truly is one of the best I've every seen. I intend to see again and again to try and catch every detail. Hows that for a comment?

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

When the Surprise be going around the horn at 12 knots and the capt. wanting more, twas a sight to see.

Arrrrr!, I be knowing that feeling. This weekend, I had the sailboat up to 6.3 knots, (6 knots being it's hull limit) and the guys in the class wanting me to push for more. I said sure, if yer wantin to wrestle the helm, go right ahead. I also be remindin them that if we keel it over (rudder was half out of the water alreayd), the repairs be coming out of their pockets.

I be thinkin, after this weekends experience, I be ripe ready to ride the movie! Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

One of my favorite parts is actually a technical matter. In many scenes belowdecks, there was no "incidental" music, and you could hear the various creakings and other ship's noises very clearly. In a dark theater, with a good digital surround sound system, it really added to the ambience.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

Oh and by the way. The Surprise (HMS Rose) is in San Diego docked next to the Star of India by Seaport Village. On Friday, she was docked in Shelter Island near our docks. I was so excited to see her when I was walking to our boat. The next day, the Surprise moved to the dock with the Star of India and I made the rest of the crew sail towards her. The Star of India was under way so we had to sail away. :ph34r:

~Tori

Yep, the Star of India went out both Saturday and Sunday. There was very little wind on Saturday, it was almost dark when the tugs finally brought her in. Sunday, winds were at 12 knots, but she still went out under tow. I and the rest of my crew figure it was because all the big wigs were here for the Master and Commander premier held here on Wednesday.

~Tori

I was especially entertained by the storm sequences. It seemed quite real. The cinematography was outstanding. The score was very good, and I understood all of the dialog (perhaps not all of the terminology).

I was also impressed with the lack of score in many of the scenes. To hear the creaking of the wood, the swinging of the hammocks, all of the noises above and below deck...

And Russell Crowe. Yes, I thought he played the part quite well. The entire movie gave me insight on the reality of the times and conditions that I doubt I could have gotten elsewhere without doing a great deal of reading and research.

Did anyone else notice in the storm scene that they had some poor soul sitting on the head. I only noticed because everyone else seemed to be very busy and this guy was just sitting there with both legs over the side. A quick look showed that his pants were around his ankles and after remembering where the head was that I realized what was going on. :unsure:

You have to pay close attention to see him, and if it were not for his lack of movement, or maybe because of his movement :lol: that I noticed him at all.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!