A Pirate Fair

JohnnyTarr

We have all seen the multitude of Ren Fairs right? I was thinking of a pirate fair. What would you all like to see at one? What do you think would work best. Do you think that a Carrabiean theam would be better or a general theam. Of course there would have to be water involved but how much and to what end? How long should it be open. Sorry about the spelling.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

I've put a lot of thought into this, primarily because several years ago I was in with a group of people that were planning a year-round attraction like that.

First rule - keep it out of the Northeast part of the US. You'll be closed half the year due to crappy weather. :o

Body of water - definitely. How about a medium- to large-sized lake? Functional vessels afloat on said lake, of course, with functional pirates.

A museum to take advantage of rainy days and visitors that don't choose to participate in the more strenuous activities.

Fully-outfitted personnel, of course. And discounts for those who come in gear. Piratical food - expand a bit beyond the old turkey-leg theme. Stores - an entire merchants quarter.

Perhaps a small amusement-park area for the kiddies, with pirate-themed rides.

Shows during all hours of operation. Classes / lessons for stage fighting, kit designing and creation, pirate history. A separate classroom building with a full curriculum.

Of course, as I mentioned at the beginning, you HAVE to locate this thing in a warm-weather area. Otherwise you'll go broke. But given cooperative weather and a historically-appropriate area, I think this could fly.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

We have all seen the multitude of Ren Fairs right? I was thinking of a pirate fair. What would you all like to see at one? What do you think would work best. Do you think that a Carrabiean theam would be better or a general theam. Of course there would have to be water involved but how much and to what end? How long should it be open. Sorry about the spelling.

What would I like to see? Cannons.., lots of cannons. Women ..., lots of women.

A Ship ., small tho it may., still...., a ship.., with cannons.

A World theme....., Pirates were all over the world with very little...,no.., none.,no critisism.

Water.., yes.,the ocean...,very calm waters for the weak stomached but ocean none the less ..., to no end. A literal waterworld of 7107 Islands.

It will be open ear around. 90 degrees daily ( better get wet) sun up at 5:45 am Sundown at 6:00 p.m. 365 days a year.

Padi scuba courses too for those that really want to see the Octopus's Garden.

Oh yea and the part you forgot to mention........, treasure........., a world in which your treasure is 50 to 1 !!!

How does that sound ?

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

One thing that's been bantered about, but not happened, is a Pirate Court.

It would not mean just one group doing it, but a combination of people from groups who can act. Any sort of numerous things can happen, like letters from Mark ( :o ), not paying the bar tab to digging in the wrong place for treasure. The possibilities are endless.

Weather is a problem. But here in S. Calif. it's nice 80% of the time -depending on where you are.

Trees! Shade is a must!

Real flushing toilets a plus!

As for a theme, since piracy didn't just take place in the Caribbean but in the states as well as other areas on the globe, you are open to what you want to do.

Water is nice, so is black powder, but you have to make sure those things aren't going to be a problem for people who might live nearby (those parties at night can get pretty loud) and you can get the permits needed.

Lots of boats, like long boats, small ships etc. are great.

We have all seen the multitude of Ren Fairs right? I was thinking of a pirate fair. What would you all like to see at one?

There already is one....

PIRATES IN PARADISE FESTIVAL

Key West..... Black powder.... Pyrates..... what more could ye ask for ?

We have all seen the multitude of Ren Fairs right? I was thinking of a pirate fair. What would you all like to see at one?

There already is one....

PIRATES IN PARADISE FESTIVAL

Key West..... Black powder.... Pyrates..... what more could ye ask for ?

but that is only for a few days. I was thinking about months.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

I'd dig on some classes for actin the part and not just dress up and shop..

Some history oratory would be cool too.. make it all more interactive of sorts..

And thanx PiratePhil for the complement...Ye was the funniest judge any one could have had.... :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

As Mr Hand stated there are pirate Festivals out there.

Plus (I've not gone to it) there is Buccaneer Bay which is supposed to be a period town for tourists to explore.

Generally if it's a perm, year round site, not only for pirates to explore but like Sea World, Disney, Six Flags, etc. That's one option to have it set up like a theme park.

Or if more true to form like a Festival that's for a weekend or two.... more like Buccaneer Bay... with real ships, a town like Williamsburg (or even Port Royal) to walk through and even purchase period items, taverns to have drinks at and enjoy good food, Inns to stay the night like a Bed and Breakfast, have demos or "acts" like trials, commandeering, drunken stupers, wench auction, etc. Sea battles would be awesome.

Aye, I think on the grand scale. Usually to capture the modern mind now, ya have to think of thrills, chills and on a grand scale.

Course if you had an actual island... could be a real piratical haven for us to move to & tourists to enjoy. Again, stores to shop in, a market where pirates sell wares, taverns and inns, a government of pirates that run it, various "events" and "shows", can go with more than just the Spanish Main, but add in various piratical views from the Barbary Coast, Asia, Madagascar, etc. Carriage rides, perhaps, too.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I did indeed mention Cibola, my own Isle that would be a bit like Tortuga and open year round to tourists. It would be just like stepping back in time complete with tall ships and such. But it takes money... :ph34r:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Honestly trying to run a pirate themed event for more than a few weekends, isn't going to work.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but perhaps you haven't quite looked at all the angles of it.

1. Vendors who are you're biggest need, won't do it unless the restrictions are very light, and then you are not guaranteed vendors. Most travel from event to event so it would be hard to keep a good amount of vendors around for any length of time. This includes food vendors whom I know travel a lot.

2. Politics - They are everywhere, no escaping it. The worst thing you can do is become an enemy to yourself besides others. If you start acting like everything must be done your way, people will walk away. Asking people to be strictly 'period' isn't going to work either, you must be able to concede and be flexible.

3. Sponsors - This is a must especially when putting on large events. Also they are your greatest supplier of not just advertising, but to help defer certian costs.

4. Advertising - This is an absolute MUST! Not just a couple of small ads in the local paper, but a true and strong get the word out to all if you want people to attend.

5. Facilities- Finding a place (unless you own the property), is just half of the problem. You must have permits for this and that, it can take time to get them and then there might be some very strict restrictions such as no black powder, or people can only drink in a specified area, where porta potties will be (and how many) and on and on.

These are just a few of the many things to consider before putting on an event.

I think it could be done if you found yourself a good spot. Take for example and you know about this place Rumba...is Ports of Call in San Pedro. I think you mentioned or one of the other gals here say it is totally a shambles. They used to have a pirate ship a long long time ago. A g/f I worked with in the 80's used to tell me about the Pirate parties on board and it was XXX. LOL! B)

Let's take for example this village that has all the shops and restrooms already. A large restaurant that could be the main place for gatherings, meetings, classes/lessons and of course great home cooked pirate food! No mamby pamby stuff and realistic. This village was already in the harbor and boats and ships could dock to it. I havent been there in ages but if I was Donald Trump I would develop it ( since he is already re-doing the golf course around the corner from there already).

I would say if someone could find a portside shopping village like this or a wharf that is ready to be re-invested in and brought about and you had a good local connection to the cities it would be a boon.

Here is a pic of Ports of Call...I dont know how it looks now.

portcal1.gif

Oh I also just found an online camera for them...

View Cam at Ports o Call

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Oh let's take it further, just for fun.

The Developer could buy the Argus (1.5 mil), turn it into a pirate ship and then work a deal with Disney for this to be their port for Disney's new West Coast Itenary.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Mayhaps a travelin' faire circuit could be arranged. Start the season wi three weekends at Port's 'o Call, then move down the coast line. A weekend at Huntington pier, Newport Beach, San Clemente State Park ect. There used to be several small boating /fishing establishments in the salt swamps just north of PCH. Maybe even raid on Camp Pendelton :ph34r: Take advantage of each sites particulars to keep the program from gettin' stale.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Rumba dear, you're restricting your thinking. :lol:

Why must it be legal?

Imagine the draw that a pyrate resort / park / whotever would have if it were outside the jurisdiction of the uptight Colonists?

Think Jurassic Park with a pyrate theme.

Think there be one rule - no rules.

You'd have tough guys, painted ladies and everyone and everything in between, it would be a Hell-hole and bloody to boot, but ya know whot?

It would be realistic, and I'd be willing to bet large that it would be a smashing success, if only because it was so controversial - at least for a season or two. :lol:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I'd like and "Escape from New York" theme meets POTC... :rolleyes:

Snake Pliskin...Rules

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I'll toss me Small Dream int' th' pot iffen I may.

(Me Large Dream bein' t' live in a Pirate Community rather like Lily Dale (NY) is t' psychics....or mayhap liken unto The Village.....but wit'out th' weird monsters an' such. I'd be good knowin' I were there....ye would na have t' scare me int' stayin'.....)

:o

But me Small Dream be t' go on a Pirate Cruise ship.

That be all.

Ye knows how they have Mouse-ship fer knipperkins......Mardi Gras theme....Gay cruises....an' th' like? Well, why not a PIRATE theme?

I think they be missin' a lot o' doubloons failin' t' act on that idea.

'Course....there'd probably only be the one......but I'd be sure t' be on it.

An' th' headlines o' th' aftermath would be facinatin'............

:o

Fair Winds.....

~Foxmorton

www.mimifoxmorton.blogspot.com

:lol:

I like faires with on sight camping so that I can drink copious amounts of rhum and not have to worry about driving home. Plus I usally like to saty for the ntire weekend.

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg