Customizing the Loyalist Arms Doglock Pistol

Ahoy mates! I am currently customizing my doglock dragoon pistol from Loyalist Arms. I am specifically looking for a grotesque face style brass butt cap that would fit it, similar to the ones on the Queen Anne pistols. I have found one at Dixie Gunworks, but does anyone know of anywhere else that supplies these? Thanks in advance for any help! :huh::huh:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Thanks Greg and Kenneth! Both sites are awesome! I should be able to find exactly what I need there. ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

You might want to try here as well:

http://hometown.aol.com/hangfire1755/index...eloaders_k.html

Damn me if I can make up my mind between their Jack Sparrow pistol and the Muzzleloaders Supply Early Georgian... I like the dragoons, but I'm not certain I want to cart such a huge weapon around on my hip when I'm pig hunting in brush country.... Anyhow, they offer both brass and silver grotesque faces. Take your pick. ;)

Well, after having some serious thought on the matter at hand, I've decided not to go with a grotesque mask butt cap, but rather this one instead:

picserve.jpg

It's from Muzzleloader's Builder's Supply, and is cast from an original piece from an English Georgian pistol ca. 1680. The time period of the piece matches my pistol perfectly, and since I prefer to try and keep my gear and clothing along historically authentic lines, I feel it is the best choice for me. I don't know of any existing original dragoon-type pistols with mask butt caps, does anyone else? I don't know for sure that it wasn't done, but I do know for sure this piece is historically accurate for my weapon. Anyway, thanks, mates, for all your help! And Greg, I will indeed post a photo of it in this thread when I am finished with it. I have already stripped and re-finished the wood with a hand-rubbed linseed oil finish, boy I tell ya, those Indians sure don't know how to finish wood, the crappy oil or whatever finish they use was a real b*%# to remove! B)

(1945)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Bill,

I first sanded the wood down with various grades of sandpaper, going from coarsest to fine, but as you probably well know, the finish on the stocks of these weapons is very oily or greasy feeling in your hands, so after I got it all sanded down, I turned my kitchen oven on at about 250 degrees and put the wooden stock in for about twenty or twenty-five minutes or so. The heat helped bring more of that oil to the surface, after which I wiped off the wood and sanded some more with fine sand paper. After all that, I refinished the stock using a hand rubbed boiled linseed/tung oil finish (I used two coats, but three would be good). It looks a heck of a lot better! I don't know what kind of nasty oil the Indians use for their wood finish, but it is nasty, inferior stuff. Several years ago, I bought a surplus Ishapore .308 caliber Enfield rifle which was made in India, and it had the same icky oil finish on it as well. Wonderful, well made rifle, but the finish sucks! :lol:

(1945)

Thanks for the tips Captain Midnight.

I've had my Loyalist Arms doglock about two and a half years, and it sounds like mine has a different finish than yours -- not a really oily finish. It feels rather dry. I'm not sure what that means.

I've also noticed recently that the one I bought looks a little different from the one they have on their website now too. I think it's mainly a different buttcap.

I don't know what kind of wood my stock is made from. It looks like it is stained to resemble walnut though. Dark brown and slightly reddish.

Good luck with the project, and I hope to learn of your progress and see additional photos on this web site as you proceed. Cool project.

-Tar Bucket Bill

:lol:

I believe that a lot of the Indian guns use "rosewood",which I seem to recall hearing is a Teak.So it would be naturally oily,and a bear to re-finish.Don't know for sure about your pistols,but speaking from experience teak is heavy,oily,and a B@$t@rd to refinish.

Looks great done right,though. :lol:

Good Choice!!!

The only thing holding me back from picking one up was always the buttplate!!

Might have to rethink it now!!!

Well done!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!