Pirateer-aholics?

flea

Anyone else addicted to Pirateer?

Great tabletop game, described as:

Pirateer

the game of outrageous fortune by the

Mendocino Game Company

Vast treasure, fast ships and cutthroat rivals await you on the seas of Pirateer, the fast-paced strategy game where fortunes turn on pirate skullduggery and a roll of the dice.

Easy to learn, yet challenging for all ages, this award winning mix of luck, skill and treachery will entertain your family for years.

Hoist the Jolly Roger and fire your imagination with Pirateer, the game of outrageous fortune.

There's a weekly gathering at the local pub to play.. generates lots of lively goin's-on...

I got a copy of the 25th Anniversary Edition on Ebay for less than $10.. well worth it!

Comments?

I also have a copy of the 25th edition, and my mate and meself enjoy playing it. I do have one question about it, though. Does anyone know what the doulbling die is for. I got one in the tin for the game, and we can never figure out what it's for.

My Chief Gunner Brenda and I bought a copy of the anniversary edition and loved it immediately. We've already made up our own variation! In the original, landing on the same square an opponent's ship meant automatically seizing the treasure and perhaps wrecking his ship. That's too easy, we thought. So now we have battles to see whether the treasure is taken or kept, and whether the loser's ship remains afloat or gets scuttled. (Warning: this variation takes longer, so don't do it if you prefer shorter games.)

It plays like this. We have two twenty-sided dice, one black and one red (get them from any game shop that sells role-playing games), in addition to the regular movement-dice. (We have yet to figure out what the doubler is for.) Each of your ships is labeled 1, 2, or 3, and each ship begins with 75 crew members (record this on paper).

Now imagine Brenda rolls and lands one of her ships (#1) on the same space occupied by one of my ships (#1), which holds the treasure. She begins the battle by choosing to roll either the black die or the red die. The number she rolls (1-20) is the number of my crew members that her crew killed (assuming the battle began with full crews, subtract this number from 75 under ship #1). Then I roll the same die (black or red) to kill her crew members. If it is a black-die battle, the ship with the most crew members left after 3 rolls each takes the treasure. If it is a red-die battle, it continues until one of the ships has no more crew and becomes a wreck on that square, and of course the victor takes the treasure.

If one of my ships (let's say #3) is still afloat but has, in my judgment, too few crew members to be useful in a battle, I may choose to "recruit" new crew members. To do this, I sail #3 ship to the island in the middle of the board. On my next turn, I sacrifice a throw of one of the movement-dice for a throw of the black die (sacrifice both movement rolls for two black-die rolls). The number rolled on the black die is the number of new "recruits," and that number is added to the total remaining number of ship #3's crew. I can opt for this recruiting sacrifice as many (or as few) turns as I wish (except the crew total cannot go higher than 75).

Anyone else made up their own variations?

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Alright now, I have the Pirateer game, and played it a time 'er two. I'll have to try some of these rule variations that have been posted. But can someone tell me what is different/special about the 25th edition from the regular game? A hearty thanks to whoever can explain this to me.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

No Quarter Asked. No change given.

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

The anniversary edition "board" was printed on felt that can be rolled into a tube, and the whole game was packaged in a long narrow tin. Gives you more of a "map" feel to the whole, I guess.

I don't think you're missing much if you have the original. Maybe it's a bit bulkier? Not a huge difference, so far as I know.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

anyone play the ccg (collectible card game) '7th sea'?

the pictures I've seen of it lead me to believe it is predominantly piratical-it is an alternate reality game based in 1668,so says the ad-the adventures take place on ships at sea and magic is a reality here.

if anyone has played it,I would like to get yer opinion.

I've read that it isn't being printed anymore,but ebay has lots of em. :huh:

thanx,

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

anyone play the ccg (collectible card game) '7th sea'?

the pictures I've seen of it lead me to believe it is predominantly piratical-it is an alternate reality game based in 1668,so says the ad-the adventures take place on ships at sea and magic is a reality here.

if anyone has played it,I would like to get yer opinion.

I've read that it isn't being printed anymore,but ebay has lots of em. :huh:

thanx,

Capt Weaver

Well, Charity Sweetlove, and myself play the RPG, but not the CCG. Fun game. One the best I have ever played in. Fun swashbucking adventures.

• 2 years later...

The problem with the 7th Seas card game.... The rules need A LOT of work .... we played one game, I blew everyone outta the water, and they never wanted to play again...... It's about as bad as making a Klingon Deck for the Star Trek game..... you just shoot all the Fedie ships, build an armada and then blow up thier main world..... not much fun.......

I guess thats why I don't buy any more of the card games.

Magic the Obsession was fun untill you ran into someone that had 4 shoeboxes of cards.... (the Fairy Air force was a fun counter sometimes...but you had to play for a random card wager for it to work)

Jihad was cool (with the "house rule" that you couldn't have more than 3 of any card...... but dang I only had one "Fame" , and my friend had 3 of them........)

Rage was a bit to "Rock, Paper Sissors"