About James Norrington

Caraccioli

I wish there had been more of DMC's "Scruffyington" because he was damn hot and sexy!

He was too clean and proper in AWE and his story was cut short. There are many photos of Norrington on the internet that are not in the movie so I believe that many scenes were cut. Hopefully there will be a director's cut of all 3 movies and we'll see them as they were first created.

kttcsignature.jpg

I wish there had been more of DMC's "Scruffyington" because he was damn hot and sexy!

He was too clean and proper in AWE and his story was cut short. There are many photos of Norrington on the internet  that are not in the movie so I believe that many scenes were cut. Hopefully there will be a director's cut of all 3 movies and we'll see them as they were first created.

For Disney, where there is money . . . there is a way.

(At least that is my impression. Those that work for the MOU$E, please feel free to correct me.)

(I MISS the days of Walt, when values and quality drove the company, rather than what ever makes the most $$$$- :blink: )

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 6 months later...

You know, I was watching the first movie the other day and it occurred to me...Norrington's the only main character who is actually ethical in that movie. Everyone else is either admittedly unethical (Sparrow) or situationally ethical (The Swanns & Will). But Norrington warns Gibbs about using mysticism to upset the passengers and crew in the beginning, pretty much follows the King's orders throughout (this was unbelievably important during this era as I'm finding out in my reading. The King was a chosen instrument of God by their beliefs), and is even willing to give up Elizabeth when he determines that she really doesn't love him at all. (Which actually would have been extremely unlikely during the era as well, but this is a modern movie. Point of fact, Elizabeth wouldn't have been attracted to a tradesman based on her upbringing.) Even when he lets Depp go, he only gives him a head start to be sporting, as I read it.

Of course, being a pirate movie, that sort of makes him a villain and hard to like in the framework of the movie. He's really sort of a neat character. When he really became interesting in the second movie, he was still carrying out the orders of the King and the favored East India company, albeit in a surreptitious way if I remember it right. (I haven't seen that movie since it was in the theaters. Norrington is neat, but not enough to carry that opus for me.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I actually liked him clean and proper..he was a commanding figure with his men but around the ladies..he seemed..Uncertain..it made him sweet..at least that is my opinion.

I was really upset to see him die in the movie...Bring Him Back! :blink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Hey, they brought back Barbossa, they brought back Jack, so, no reason they can't bring back Norrington. We never really saw him die, we just saw him pass out from pain, right! He's been in sickbay all this time, and will return in movie 4. :blink:

One can ony hope!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

You know, in a way...I hesitate to say it...but it really sort of made sense to kill him off. I mean, there is more they could have done with him and I think he would have been a good character and all, but...they run the risk of doing with him what they did with Murtogg and Mulroy. That just didn't seem to work as well as I think they hoped it would. Besides, they had to kill some major character off to give the story gravity.

But I liked him too. I liked him clean and struggling both.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I am with Misson on this. Killing Norrington made sense.

He redeems himself a little at the end, but despite his honesty and valour, he tried to work within the rules, be part of the system. And that sort of thing is the opposite of the pirate ethos being celebrated / explored in the films. He dies because that is what happens to people who don't seek freedom. They get crushed in the gears of the machines to which they chain themselves.

At least that is my take on him...

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

We never really saw him die, we just saw him pass out from pain, right! He's been in sickbay all this time, and will return in movie 4. <_<

No...

No, I think that was dying.

Lost his sword into the bargan as well! :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Okay, it was a stretch, but, hey, ya gotta give a girl an A for effort. <_<

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

He even died with integrity, turning down Davy Jones. No coward, James Norrington. Good character. Good non-pirate.

To be honest I think it would be a good idea to leave all the characters that have left the story _out_ of any new movies.

Otherwise we'll still be stuck in subplots and what not.

IF there are to be more movies, I would rather they focus on Jack, Barbossa and possibly new characters and a whole new plot. Rather than a mishmash of old and new that ends up being not quite as good as it could have been.

To be honest I think it would be a good idea to leave all the characters that have left the story _out_ of any new movies.

Otherwise we'll still be stuck in subplots and what not.

:(:(

That's what I think of as the Back to the Future Running Sequel Subplot trap. Subplots can be neat if they're cleverly handled...or they can be a real pain in the...Calypso.

The%20Sting%20Subplot.jpg

(From The Sting satire, Mad Magazine, December 1974, p. 6)

Norrington was a tragic character right from the start. His values didn’t match those around him and when he went against those values (Letting Jack go at the end of the 1st movie) the repercussions almost destroyed him.

His compass lost its direction, like Jack’s. He attempted to regain that direction, doing what he thought was right (giving DJ’s heart to Becket). Once again the repercussions were not what he expected, causing conflict to those values that were really still inside him, and were all along.

When the situation presented itself he realized the only truism that was constant was his love for Elizabeth. With all that was occurring around them, Elizabeth still cared and respected him. Reflected in her eyes was what he really was. That gave him the strength to do what was right. He sacrificed himself to help them. And while dieing Davy Jones presented him with the choice of death or joining the crew he game JD the old “Screw you with nobs on.”

A tragic character who found some redemption.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)