To Fellow Bretherens of the Lost Arts

It's been a while since I posted, and I wanted to see first if anyone would be interested in this first, Here goes:

Me and My brother are interested in historical reenacting(Be it pirate, Cowboy Action, Civil, French and Indian, Revolutionary Wars, Mountain Man, Intergalatic or whatever) and what could be considered "lost arts"(anything involving making something by hand, using the old ways, techniques, and tools as our ancestors did it).

Anyhow, along the way, we've picked up a lot of books and information, and I know there is lot of people here that are interested in making there own items(so they can stand out from the other 30 Capt. Jack's, Barbossa's, Hooks, etc)., but can't always find the information without looking around for it. I thought I'd like to help out , but I wanted to see if anyone was interested first.

Here's a list of some of the stuff I've got:

-Leatherworking-(not so much on carving, but how to make the patterns, and general assembly).

-Hat-Making

-Making Muzzleloading FireArms

-Finger-weaving-an old technique for making sashes, leg-ties, etc without a loom.

-Scrimshaw and powder horns

-Braiding and Knotwork

and probably some other subjects I've forgot about and haven't run across yet.

I know that this same information is brought up a lot on the forum, I just thought it would be kind of nice to have it all in one place(plus maybe you all out there might have more you can share).

If anyone would be interested, let me know.(Cutting this short, running out of computer time).

Well, Since there's interest among me fellow Bretheren :ph34r::huh:

I'll start posting probably next week(Don't have my list with me, plus I've got to finish it up. Also, I'm limited on my computer time right at the moment(using a library computer and only get to town a couple a days a week).

One thing I do want to say. The books that I'm going to list are all good basic beginners books, or like the one I found on hat-making, are about the only ones you can find out there. I consider all this stuff "lost arts"

because during the 1600-1800s this information was handed down from craftsmen to apprentice, and in this age of mass production, a lot of this stuff has been lost except to only a few who like to do things the old fashion way.

Hope this helps bring back some of the old ways and if it helps one lowly pyrate, I'm glad to be of service.--Wolf2hawks

• 1 month later...

Aye, mate, sounds bloody good.

I am planning on posting about a wonderful little beauty called a monkey fist that any sailor worth his salt should be familiar with.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."