PIP short film

It was suggested that we might consider a short film project for Pirates in Paradise showing people preparing and then participating in the festival. How many of you would be interested in filming your various preparations (i.e., tent making, costume sewing, gun crafting, etc.)? We would then collect the various parts and put together a twenty or thirty minute film on PIP '07. I have two brothers who do video editing professionally, so we have our post production team, but I would need people to film themselves separately prior to PIP.

We will also be filming some raids and camp activities as part of the documentary.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

:rolleyes::lol::lol: a great idea you can count me in i'll post some footage to you i have a friend who has a decent digital camera and i'll have him shoot some stuff from working up on the sewing and the preparations of my new trailer & tent and the preparations of the weapons i'll be bringing down ;););)

Remember, audio and lighting are paramount to quality video. Whenever possible, use a clip on microphone and test lighting for picture quality before recording the final shots. If you have questions, we can discuss the dos and don'ts of video.

What a great idea. Unfortunately, the Port Royal contingent won't be able to avail itself. We're just swamped too swamped with voyages and our new Pyrate HQ to take on anything additional right now. But I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Okay, I have a decent camcorder... And I have been working on my garb, and will soon be working on my tarp tent... But I TOTALLY SUCK at videography...

I can tape myself (Or get my girlfirend to hold the camera) sewing garb/tent or whatever (I will likely be doing some leather work as well), but should I just tape myself doing this stuff? Or should I explain what I am doing while doing it? It shouldn't take any significantly extra time to video myself making some of the stuff since I will be doing it anyway, but if I can get a bit more direction that would really help (*What's my motivation* in my most primadonna actress voice)....

Advice on lighting and what kind of things are best to show/say would help me the most.

Michael_banner.jpg

Okay, I have a decent camcorder... And I have been working on my garb, and will soon be working on my tarp tent... But I TOTALLY SUCK at videography...

I can tape myself (Or get my girlfirend to hold the camera) sewing garb/tent or whatever (I will likely be doing some leather work as well), but should I just tape myself doing this stuff? Or should I explain what I am doing while doing it? It shouldn't take any significantly extra time to video myself making some of the stuff since I will be doing it anyway, but if I can get a bit more direction that would really help (*What's my motivation* in my most primadonna actress voice)....

Advice on lighting and what kind of things are best to show/say would help me the most.

Have your girlfriend tape you giving brief comments about your projects and expectations about PIP. Try to formulate specific thoughts as you go, so we have some nice sound bites. She can also film you working with no dialogue which can be transposed with audio from other shots to make it more interesting. Feel free to shoot too much video if you need to. A volume of information can be trimmed down fairly easily and you shouldn't worry too much about the quality. Good audio is the most important, so speak clearly.

Also, mix up the shots with wide shots and very close or tight shots. Variety will give the editors more to work with.

What a great idea. Unfortunately, the Port Royal contingent won't be able to avail itself. We're just swamped too swamped with voyages and our new Pyrate HQ to take on anything additional right now. But I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-- Hurricane

I can actually do most of the Port Royal stuff there, taking members of your group aside to ask them questions about preparation. I can also film the camp setup and then the finished display afterwards, so we can mix this quite easily with the rest.

sounds very interesting?!? when would ya need the footage?...film all year...making plans...bring footage to event...trip down...excetra...hand you the footage at then end of the event?...or are ya looking for it before then? :huh: or send it to ya after we get home for a couple of goin home blues shots? :huh:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

sounds very interesting?!? when would ya need the footage?...film all year...making plans...bring footage to event...trip down...excetra...hand you the footage at then end of the event?...or are ya looking for it before then? :huh: or send it to ya after we get home for a couple of goin home blues shots? :huh:

You would just need to film some pre-PIP shots throughout the year. Perhaps ten to fifteen minutes at most that would be trimmed down. You could then ship them to me by mail prior to PIP or deliver them to me at the festival. You could also film yourself talking about the trip in route on the plane, by car or by bus. This would also be added to the film.

In fact, I'd love to have video of people travelling in garb like Patrick.

Last year I drove. Got stopped for an hour or so on Alligator Alley (yes there is such a place) by a truck fire. Being stuck and not in garb I changed. In middle of a traffic jam. Filming the fire and the transformation into Pyrate would have been priceless, especially the looks I got from the folks in the car behind me. Upon final transformation I turned to their car and said,"What, ye've ne'er seen a Pyrate afore?" So somewhere out there is a picture of a group from Indiana standing with a Pyrate in the middle of the Everglades, a truck burning merrily in the background. Would have made a decent short by itself.

The moral here: be prepared for the opportune moment.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

See, now that is just the kind of unusual imagery that would make a small film like this so interesting. The clash of the modern and the period pirate. If I had a doubloon for every time I wished I had a camera with me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Video I can do...digital or 8mm, William? Gosh, had I known about this posting prior to Port Washington's event...I would have done the step by step!

Well, there are approximately three more (four?) events which we can use it.

Cheeky

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 1 month later...

We also have to make sure we take a lot of pictures this year, and get them to the web-person for the Pirates in Paridise page...... There isn't anything from last year.....

I thought there were some photos from last year, I wanted to show them to Carol (my Boss)....

If anyone has photos.... maybe a re-post of some of last years .... to get everyone that is going worked up into a shark like feeding frenzy....... ;)

118 Days untill Pirates in Paradise

Cool.... I'll send the link for that page to Carol, so she can see those pictures.....

Maybe we can get Harry (or whoever maintains the PiP page) to link to that page also.... So anyone visiting the PiP page can see last years photos.....

Or something like that....... :blink: