Students attend FIRST integrated prom...

And I thought we pirates were living in the past. Welcome to the 21st century, Ashburn, Georgia.

Students attend school's first integrated prom

POSTED: 5:33 p.m. EDT, April 23, 2007

By Kristi Keck

ASHBURN, Georgia (CNN) -- Students of Turner County High School started what they hope will become a new tradition: Black and white students attended the prom together for the first time on Saturday.

In previous years, parents had organized private, segregated dances for students of the school in rural Ashburn, Georgia, 160 miles south of Atlanta.

"Whites always come to this one and blacks always go to this one," said Lacey Adkinson, a 14-year-old freshman at the school of 455 students -- 55 percent black, 43 percent white. (Watch students arrive at dance )

"It's always been a tradition since my daddy was in school to have the segregated ones, and this year we're finally getting to try something new," she said.

Link here... http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/23/turner.pr...prom/index.html

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Welcome to the south. I lived through the desegregation era, and it wasn't pretty. Still going on in some places. Even proms held jointly segregate to the black side of the hall and the white side. Still see Confederate battle flags flying in front of private homes (one on my street.) What message are these people trying to send?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

It's amazing that segregation in the USA is still alive in some places... 

I have often quoted to people that there are someplace in the south where the Jim Crow laws are still unofficially in effect. Sometimes the response is "that's silly, Jim Crow laws have been abolished", which I reply "maybe on the books, but they're still observed".

SHIP2-1.jpg

Wat barge in the wilderness do these people live on? Wonder what other events in the last ohhh say 100 years they glossed over... :D

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

...that would be the God-fearing, Death Penalty State Of Texas.

Don't agree with any racist issues...but I like Texas. They get some things right..most don't take any bs. There's something to be said for old fashioned justice...as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

A note from the "There's a political correctness group for everyone, that should spend their time fighting crime, poverty, disease and urban decay instead" state of NY. :( at least that's my opinion...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

QUOTE (Matusalem @ Apr 24 2007, 09:02 PM)

...that would be the God-fearing, Death Penalty State Of Texas. 

Don't agree with any racist issues...but I like Texas. They get some things right..most don't take any bs. There's something to be said for old fashioned justice...as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Jenny, what I was referring to was the 'religious right' movement in Texas that is trying to change the public education system by making bible studies mandatory, and replacing Darwinism with creationism. And sure, many states have capital punishment, but Texas executes people tenfold compared to what other states do.

SHIP2-1.jpg