Showers

Caraccioli

Me? Start a topic on showering? That's like thinking my commentary on 5 dating tips (in WTaPH forum) would have anything whatsoever to do with 5 actual dating tips. (Lemme' tell ya' boys and girls...if you're looking for dating tips from me, you're in trouble. :P )

I originally started this in response to a situation that come up in "real" land (as opposed to virtual land). (Although I find both contain large swaths of fiction.) It amazes me that few (if any) women actually like showers, yet most feel compelled to participate. I say just send money to each other and avoid the whole thing. And I say that with a remarkable lack of guile or cynicism. (At least, I'm trying to...)

As for people questioning your marital and child situation...eh. Don't worry about what other people think. (Of course, I'm apparently a freak when it comes to this sort of stuff, so taking advice here is as bad as taking dating advice. :P )

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of showers is nice, you know celebrate something exciting coming up, and help out the new mother/bride with things she's going to need. But the stuff that usually goes on is just so...dumb. Can't they come up with some decent entertainment at these things? Or forgoe the planned activities all together and just sit around and b.s. with friends?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

That would be nice. Unfortunately, most showers are planned by family members who don't know most of the bride-to-be/mother-to-be's friends and so they invite great aunt Petunia and second cousin Patrice, who the bride hasn't seen in years. And the the couple of friends who do get invited know nobody else at the shower.

Or a co-worker will throw the shower and some of the people who show up are people that the bride-to-be/mother-to-be wouldn't want to be around but must co-exist with for eight or so hours a day.

Traditionally, showers are supposed to be a surprise. That's where they go wrong, with folks trying to keep it from the guest of honor and in the meantime, because she hasn't been consulted, it ends up being awkward.

RHJMap.jpg

Hmm..I'm not against showers per se..but I don't care for the usual "wear something to impress other women, small talk about tupperware and silly embarassing shower quiz games" thing.

I think despite knowing the guests or not...one throwing the shower should at least know the bride or MTB and a few of her friends and so know what to avoid. But the go wih a theme that can be fun. Luau with tiki decor (whee!) and fun drinks, perhps outdoors or on a boat, or retro with lots of girly stuff..maybe a pj party! with popcorn and a chick flick or hey...pirate women on the loose! for an afternoon sail and lunch with entertainment. Or end up at the beach. The spa afternoon is nice for smaller groups. As long as the party is fun, the guests should be able to join in on some level whether you know them or not. There's always gonna be someone who makes a crack or is a wet blanket. Sigh...how about adding a dunk tank for boorish guests?

I don't think the surprise thing is good, because people will be taking pictures and most want to look nice for that.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Jenny's a fabulous party planner! Bring on the luau!

And I've actually enjoyed all the wedding showers I was invited to. The women kept asking me to dance and tucking one-dollar bills into the waistband of my surf shorts.

Kowabunga, baby!

joes-big-wave-small.jpgsurfer-joe-wave-small.jpg

I say just send money to each other and avoid the whole thing. And I say that with a remarkable lack of guile or cynicism. (At least, I'm trying to...)

Well, there is something to be said for having practically the entire nursery delivered to your doorstep. Shopping for all that stuff can be kind of hard on the feet when you're in that condition. (Wedding showers, on the other hand... see previous comment.)

I say just send money to each other and avoid the whole thing. And I say that with a remarkable lack of guile or cynicism. (At least, I'm trying to...)

Well, there is something to be said for having practically the entire nursery delivered to your doorstep. Shopping for all that stuff can be kind of hard on the feet when you're in that condition. (Wedding showers, on the other hand... see previous comment.)

Amazon.com, baby! It's often cheaper anyhow (even with shipping).

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

Jenny's a fabulous party planner! Bring on the luau!

And I've actually enjoyed all the wedding showers I was invited to. The women kept asking me to dance and tucking one-dollar bills into the waistband of my surf shorts.

Woohoo Joe!!

You naughty surfer dude you....

ehrm....what's yer schedule like?

I bet she does! She's a lotta woman!

Hey nice leis!

• 2 months later...

A rain shower is nice :)

but then ..a rain showerhead is pretty cool too. Gotta have one of those.

It's funny that this topic should pop up right now. I HAVE to attend a baby shower next week and I'm not looking forward to it. I say "have" to because they are very dear friends and my husband built the baby's cradle. Oh well it's one afternoon, I'll survive.

I got lucky and didn't have a wedding shower. We eloped. :ph34r:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

eeeeep, nothing makes me twitch more than the prospect of having to attend one of those.. even when they were for me. :ph34r:

they always felt so.. foreign! like stepping off into a nether, twilight zone version of your friends and family's normal social situations. there's absolutely nothing more unsettling to me than having to attend either baby or wedding showers.

my deepest condolences to those who have to go to one :ph34r: i know of no way to make them more comfortable or relaxing. by god, i bet if someone could come up with a way to make them more 'normal' feeling, and alot less stressful, they'de be sure to make a world of wealth overnight.

Yes just what is it about a large group of ladies at lunch and a big paper parasol that un nerves us so much?

I think the traditional shower is just outdated. Better would be a group of "real" friends at the beach with snacks, a ton of magazines, frosty drinks and some real girl talk. Instead of phony advice written on little pink cards and that dumb bingo game. and the men could come by later :lol:

now that sounds like an excellent plan Red Cat Jenny, that would be tons more fun! :lol:

when i look back on some of my past showers, i think it was the whole expectation thing that hung around my neck like a lead weight. if it wasn't my mother who had planned the thing, it was an in-law-to-be, namely, the new mom-in-law to be, that had pinned the thing on me. both of them had a way with that domineering, "you better like what I'm doing for you" expression on their faces. something to make anyone's skin crawl. *shudder*

A rain shower is nice :)

but then ..a rain showerhead is pretty cool too. Gotta have one of those.

This morning it was misting when I was out walking. Quite refreshing. Is this 100% humidity?

I first came across a rain showerhead in Sydney and I had to have one. The trouble is, now that I have one, whenever I travel I wonder what's wrong with the showers in hotels. (The water feels like it's coming out in spears!)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Maggie, ack sound like you have shower shell shock! I'm glad you like my suggestion. Much more fun and yes, no domineering organizers. Instead it's "hey can you open the potato chip bag? Who has some nail polish with them, and hey did you see this article? * giggle *, who wants grapes?and swapping "those" stories women swap sitting around in beach chairs etc. Aye much more fun. ;)

Aye Jacky! Agreed!

Mission yes hotel showers are always a gamble. Even in the 5 stars. I've been in Hiltons with sad excuses for a shower. The last one I stayed at was great.

Actually, it's not that I have a problem with hotel showers, it's that once you get used to the gentle rainfall sort of shower head, regular shower heads seem harsh by comparison. On the flip side, when I first got it, I thought, "That's it?" Funny how that works.

As for hotel showers, in my personal hotel rating system there are several elements and one of them does happen to do with shower heads, but it's more about where they mount it. Any hotel that mounts a shower head such that I have to stoop to wash my hair loses a star. (Let's see AAA give you that sort of info in their rating system!)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Well if there are 2 shower heads..upper and lower they are good for everyone. Tall and short.

A rain shower...yes like those..but you do need the shower massage as well. Gotta rinse all that conditioner before ya go Piratin :rolleyes:

Hmmm..now I'm craving a shower. Its hot and yucky outside..

Yeah - the shower in our master bathroom is like that. Has the "rain" setting, couple of different massages, combos - about eight in all. And it's high enough that even a strapping lad like Iron Jack doesn't have to stoop to rinse off his hair.

I really hate those water saver shower heads that use air to help "spit" the water at you. Takes all of the joy out of being in the shower. There are much better ways to make a shower head water efficient.

RHJMap.jpg

I like the showers you get on Kauai. You know, the ones where you are out strolling along from one kitschy little tourist shop to the next, or maybe along a verdant deeply foliated track (but definitely not on the golf courses; for those you might as well be back in California) and it just absolutely dumps on you for about 5 minutes, but the air is warm and the rain is warm and you're dressed in light cotton clothes and you're on vacation, so you really don't care how wet you get.

...those are nice.

:lol:

Tom..that is more than perfect! I have done that on vacation in Saint Maarten and Bermuda. Aye nature makes the best shower!